forum

Practice - slower than half speed?

posted
Total Posts
show more
Loves

FlameseeK wrote:

My problem is not reading, my problem is execution. Maybe speed is a problem without mods, yeah, but I can pass Airman with 85% acc if I use HT, so yeah it's mostly accuracy - which I'm already working on - and jumps. Airman is definitely not above my level if I use HT, otherwise it only gets tricky because the original speed makes jumps very difficult. Having a slower version would help me get my accuracy up even if I don't get good enough to pass without half time. And no, I don't blindly mash through any parts of the song either, I took my time to figure out the patterns.

I guess this is turning into a pointless discussion, since all I wanted to do was figure out how to make a regular beatmap slower than HT without taking hours of trial and error in the first place. I don't mind playing easier maps and I don't absolutely *must have* slower versions of these maps, but it would be really helpful. So if anyone knows how to do so, please help me out.

And yeah, I wanna practice jumps, so beatmap suggestions are always welcome. But that still doesn't answer the main question, which is how to properly reduce the speed of a beatmap without messing things up... assuming it's possible.
How is your play count 10k and your level 56? I'm level 51 with only 3k playcount :S
Topic Starter
FlameseeK

Lily-Kun wrote:

How is your play count 10k and your level 56? I'm level 51 with only 3k playcount :S
Lol, that's because I would always play fairly challenging songs. I'm the Retry Guy. ^^

I've always played for a few weeks and then quit for a long. It's not like I'm a super regular player, otherwise I'd be MUCH better than I am as of now. And I never cared about my accuracy or rank much.

On a side note, I've always been more concerned with my skill level as an RTS player. So warcraft 3 was my priority a while ago, and at one point starcraft 2 will become my main priority. But for now, I'm playing osu a bit more.

EDIT

@ Aqo
Eighto looks pretty sweet for practice, thanks for the suggestion. Airman is still in my heart though. If nobody helps me, I'll keep practicing Airman with HT from time to time. That's just how I roll I guess.
Loves
:cry:

FlameseeK wrote:

Lily-Kun wrote:

Lol, that's because I would always play fairly challenging songs. I'm the Retry Guy. ^^

I've always played for a few weeks and then quit for a long. It's not like I'm a super regular player, otherwise I'd be MUCH better than I am as of now. And I never cared about my accuracy or rank much.

On a side note, I've always been more concerned with my skill level as an RTS player. So warcraft 3 was my priority a while ago, and at one point starcraft 2 will become my main priority. But for now, I'm playing osu a bit more.
Lily-Kun suggests that you play hards and FC them instead of doing Big Black over 1500 times hehe~
Topic Starter
FlameseeK

Lily-Kun wrote:

Lily-Kun suggests that you play hards and FC them instead of doing Big Black over 1500 times hehe~
Done that quite a bit recently. It's good for my accuracy, for sure. I was hardly able to FC anything, but I'm getting better at it now, thanks to proper practice. But I can't just play very easy songs, I love challenging stuff! Which is why I want to know how to reduce the speed of songs to 50%, so they can be better practice than they currently are and still be a lot of fun. >.<
GoldenWolf
Or try to find maps that are still challenging for you at normal speed ?
Loves
Done that quite a bit recently. It's good for my accuracy, for sure. I was hardly able to FC anything, but I'm getting better at it now, thanks to proper practice. But I can't just play very easy songs, I love challenging stuff! Which is why I want to know how to reduce the speed of songs to 50%, so they can be better practice than they currently are and still be a lot of fun. >.<
Try playing hard on this map http://osu.ppy.sh/b/123873

Its Lily-Kuns favourites :3

I can fc it baka!
Topic Starter
FlameseeK

GoldenWolf wrote:

Or try to find maps that are still challenging for you at normal speed ?
Yeah, right. :roll:

Most of these "you should practice easier/normal/not-so-hard songs" thing is not very helpful, because I already do everything that is being suggested. And whether I do it or not, this won't change the fact that I want to play certain songs at a slower than HT speed. Playing playable songs won't make me not want to play/practice a more difficult one. Thanks though.

EDIT

@ lily-kun
Thanks for the suggestion! I have to say, I'm not good at FCing songs, but after FCing The Bad Touch on insane today in my first try, this doesn't look too hard at all. Maybe I can SS it. ^^
Zare
take the audio file, open it in an audio program (Audacity for example can do that afaik), and then make the mp3 slower. drag it into osu, copy the hitcircles from the map, snap them to the new BPM, play the map.

I don't see how that would be useful or fun in any way though.
GoldenWolf

FlameseeK wrote:

Yeah, right. :roll:

Most of these "you should practice easier/normal/not-so-hard songs" thing is not very helpful, because I already do everything that is being suggested. And whether I do it or not, this won't change the fact that I want to play certain songs at a slower than HT speed. Playing playable songs won't make me not want to play/practice a more difficult one. Thanks though.
By challenging I mean something you might struggle to pass at a normal speed, not something you can SS in a few tries.
Mythras
I never got better by FCing or SSing hards, i did get lots of pp from it. I improved playing those same maps on DT and hard rock, and playing more difficult insanes etc.

But if you wanna improve just play stuff that's really hard with no fail on. If it's too fast somehow even with half time then dont do it lol.

orz
Zare

Unkind wrote:

But if you wanna improve just play stuff that's really hard with no fail on.
Pls no. No Fail is not a good mod for practice. You can use it for fun, but not when actually trying to improve.
Playing a map using No Fail will make you pay less attention to the parts that would make you fail nomod. You ignore these parts because you are allowed to, so you will actually get worse at these parts instead of better
Aqo

Zarerion wrote:

Pls no. No Fail is not a good mod for practice. You can use it for fun, but not when actually trying to improve.
This is the opposite of the truth.

When playing without nofail, you're worried about passing the map, which makes you mash on parts just to survive instead of playing correctly. When playing with nofail, you can just concentrate about trying to play everything correctly and then you're *really* learning and improving. Nofail is the best mod for practicing.
buny
the audio.
Topic Starter
FlameseeK

Zarerion wrote:

take the audio file, open it in an audio program (Audacity for example can do that afaik), and then make the mp3 slower. drag it into osu, copy the hitcircles from the map, snap them to the new BPM, play the map.

I thought about this, but I wasn't sure if there was an easier way. I'll try to copy the hitcircles, hopefully it will work just fine.

EDIT: Do I have to do anything specific to copy and paste hitcircles to another beatmap? Osu doesn't seem to work like windows in general in that it apparently forgets everything I copied.

EDIT 2: I've tried to copy most to the stuff from the notepad file, but the hitcircles are just as fast as in the original even though I set the bpm to 100 instead of 200. This is kind of confusing. T.T

EDIT 3: Actually, the hitcircles are as fast as the original version, but the sliders are totally off. I definitely need some help to get this right.
winber1

Zarerion wrote:

Unkind wrote:

Playing a map using No Fail will make you pay less attention to the parts that would make you fail nomod. You ignore these parts because you are allowed to, so you will actually get worse at these parts instead of better
Depends on the circumstances. Nofail is still my best friend in terms of practicing.
DakeDekaane

FlameseeK wrote:

Zarerion wrote:

I thought about this, but I wasn't sure if there was an easier way. I'll try to copy the hitcircles, hopefully it will work just fine.

EDIT: Do I have to do anything specific to copy and paste hitcircles to another beatmap? Osu doesn't seem to work like windows in general in that it apparently forgets everything I copied.

EDIT 2: I've tried to copy most to the stuff from the notepad file, but the hitcircles are just as fast as in the original even though I set the bpm to 100 instead of 200. This is kind of confusing. T.T

EDIT 3: Actually, the hitcircles are as fast as the original version, but the sliders are totally off. I definitely need some help to get this right.
Put the circles in the correct place in the timeline and adjust the slider velocity in the timing section. As you changed the length of the song, you need to scale the objects in the time.
MillhioreF
I could probably whip up a quick java program to multiply the speed of a map automatically. I'm too lazy at the moment though \:D/
and also you'd need to edit the audio yourself to match.
buny

Zarerion wrote:

Unkind wrote:

no fail is not a good mod for practice, that's why many people that have that mod on tend to improve faster
Mythras

Zarerion wrote:

Unkind wrote:

You cant say nofail is a bad mod based on how you feel while using it. Not everybody is going to be the same. Not everybody will not care about difficult parts just because they dont die. etc

Sounds like you need practice with nofail to use it correctly.
Oinari-sama
Looking at your profile you only had 15+11+17=43 maps for SS/S/A combined as of 16/01/2013. I think you may benefit from playing more maps of different variety than spamming just a few really hard maps.
Topic Starter
FlameseeK

Oinari-sama wrote:

Looking at your profile you only had 15+11+17=43 maps for SS/S/A combined as of 16/01/2013. I think you may benefit from playing more maps of different variety than spamming just a few really hard maps.
The vast majority of these SS are very recent. My overall accuracy 3-4 days ago was 82%, now it's 89% - thanks to my focus on accuracy. I do tend to play the same maps a lot, but I've been playing different maps now in order to improve my skill. At least half of these maps you mentioned were probably played this year.

You see, even though it may not seem to be the case, I'm one step ahead now that I'm trying to improve a bit more seriously (at least for the time being). ;)
Loves

FlameseeK wrote:

Oinari-sama wrote:

The vast majority of these SS are very recent. My overall accuracy 3-4 days ago was 82%, now it's 89% - thanks to my focus on accuracy. I do tend to play the same maps a lot, but I've been playing different maps now in order to improve my skill. At least half of these maps you mentioned were probably played this year.

You see, even though it may not seem to be the case, I'm one step ahead now that I'm trying to improve a bit more seriously (at least for the time being). ;)
Your play count is 11k and you only have around 60 maps ;_; played.

I think the best way to improve is to sight read and rush through all the hards you can find, and go back to them to try and improve.
Oinari-sama

FlameseeK wrote:

Oinari-sama wrote:

It's good that you're trying to improve accuracy. I forgot who gave this advice: try to get 98-99% accuracy on all maps but don't bother spending hours just for getting SS. I personally like to pass all maps with at least 99% accuracy while spending a maximum of 10min per song for SS. I find that by focusing on accuracy rather than FC, I can play more calmly and slacks less. That forced me into reading better so it really pays off.

But you need to play more maps. Why not make your existing hard maps your "warm up" maps for each day, while downloading some Beatmap Packs and go through each songs inside? I find that a great way not just to practise all sorts of different styled maps, but also a routine to hunt for songs to add to favourites. ;)

Also multiplayer games are great places for picking up new songs too.
buny

Oinari-sama wrote:

i have like a billion C/B ranks
Oinari-sama

buny wrote:

Oinari-sama wrote:

i have like a billion C/B ranks
lol...I'm obsessed in the opposite end of the spectrum...
Topic Starter
FlameseeK
Thanks for the tips guys, I know these are all good ideas. I do have few beatmaps, so even though I'm playing more songs now I need to download some packs to get a decent amount I guess.

MillhioreF wrote:

I could probably whip up a quick java program to multiply the speed of a map automatically. I'm too lazy at the moment though \:D/
and also you'd need to edit the audio yourself to match.
Well I already have an audio file that is 50% slower. But the hitcircles and sliders are a complete mess because they play at normal speed, and I don't know how to rearrange everything remapping the entire song - which I wouldn't dare do anyway. It would be nice if we could get this done without much of a hassle, so please tell me if you change your mind. :P
winber1
you're much better off just playing a variety of songs to practice different things. But this also mostly includes not playing like only j-pop songs...
MillhioreF
It took a bit longer than expected, but I made the mentioned program. I put it in General Development because that's where all tool releases go, so just go to its thread for the download.
winber1
millhiore stronk
fabriciorby
BR helps BR