forum

Quits shown in status tab of IRC clients when #osu is closed [confirmed]

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
[Dellirium]
I downloaded an IRC client and found a strange thing. Even if I join 2 channels I still can see all quits (and probably joins) on the server (or is it #osu channel?)

You can see #russian on the left side, there are some messages and joins. And on the right... quits, quits, quits (and several messages from #l)

Please, save my mobile traffic someone :<
XPJ38
For some IRC clients (e.g. Xchat), these join/quit messages are displayed by default. Check is there is an option to disable them.

Btw it doesn't eat up your mobile data: even if these messages are not displayed, your client have to receive them anyway to build a list of the currently online people :P
Topic Starter
[Dellirium]
Yes, this post about not recieve them from Bancho server (exept current channels).
[BlinK]
It always receives them.

You have to disable it on your end in your IRC Client.
Topic Starter
[Dellirium]

[BlinK] wrote:

You have to disable it on your end in your IRC Client.
What? Where?
You can only disable messages but not traffic itself. Noone IRC server accepts traffic from ALL channels.
XPJ38
What's the name of your IRC client?
Topic Starter
[Dellirium]

XPJ38 wrote:

What's the name of your IRC client?
AiCiA
[BlinK]
Never used that client. And its not in the wiki either

http://osu.ppy.sh/wiki/Internet_Relay_Chat

Topic Starter
[Dellirium]
Once again who don't understand.

I join #russian and see its quits and joins.
In addition I see quits and joins from #osu despite the channel is closed.

I guess this is because some time ago #osu was opened by default and you can't even close it. Now you can do it but server still sends quits and joins from it.
[BlinK]

[Dellirium] wrote:

Once again who don't understand.

I join #russian and see its quits and joins.
In addition I see quits and joins from #osu despite the channel is closed.

I guess this is because some time ago #osu was opened by default and you can't even close it. Now you can do it but server still sends quits and joins from it.
And to fix this you need to do what i just sent.

Disable Join/Part Messages.
XPJ38
I just downloaded your client to do some testing, and oh god that client is really disturbing.

Apparently your can't disable the join/quit messages in the main log (on the left of the screen).
I managed to delete the join/quit messages and the system messages in the sub-log (on the right):
  1. Uncheck "Also output system message to sub-log" in the osu! server settings (important)
  2. And for every channel, go to "Edit Channel Setting" then uncheck or not "Output to sub-log always" depending on what you want to see in the sub-log (and, if you want to, uncheck "Output text to sub-log" but you won't be able to see the new user posts of this channel in the sub-log)
So with these parameters:
  1. When I open #osu on the left: I see the join/quit messages + user posts of #osu on the left, and I see new user posts in the other open channels in the sub-log (i.e. only user posts, not system and join/quit messages)
  2. When I open a different channel on the left (e.g. #russian): I see the join/quit messages + user posts of #russian on the left, and new user posts in #osu and other open channels appear on the right
I hope that could help you.
Topic Starter
[Dellirium]

[BlinK] wrote:

Disable Join/Part Messages.
I still will recieve them, just won't see them.

XPJ38 wrote:

I just downloaded your client to do some testing, and oh god that client is really disturbing.
This topic is not about how to disable messages display it's about I recieve excess traffic from #osu channel because I don't even join it.

But still this information helped me somewhat.
TicClick
Confirming. I use mIRC, and when I have #osu opened, I see no joins/parts/quits/whatever that are related to #osu because I turned them off and they don't pop up neither in #osu tab nor in status tab:

But after I leave #osu, my status tab gets flooded immediately with quit messages, despite the fact that I'm not in #osu anymore and shouldn't be getting any informational messages from there:
tiper
peppy
Moved to low priority as I don't see this being an important issue. Might fix some time in the distant future.