forum

Regarding bpm and half time signatures in the editor

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
flowl
For those who are not familiar with music, a time signature is the fraction looking thing in the far left of certain lines on your sheet music. the top number deals with beats per measure, which does not really matter in the context of osu and its combos. the second number has to deal with the length of each beat.

i think it would be nice to allow the editor to map songs in "half time." This means basically that i can fit double the hit circles in the same length of time as i could normally do. This would be a boon because it could encourage players to explore a vastly greater amount of songs as beatmaps, specifically songs with less bpm.

editors could feel free to map songs with bpms as little as 60bpm because the editors would know that they could map it in half time which allows them to fill in as many beats as a 120bpm map would.

But why not just double the time to get the same effect? because a 60bpm song, even in half time, would still be counted in 60bpm by anyone tapping their feet and listening to the music leisurely. Relabeling a song's bpm into a lie of double the bpm doesn't feel good and limits what future map makers can do with that mp3 file that's been artificially mislabeled by the beatmapper. But keeping the true bpm and just composing the hit circles in a half time setting wouldn't restrict future mappers who want to add on and it would stay true to the real bpm.

basically it would finally allow slow bpm songs to have the maps akin to high bpm songs.

EDIT: i've also heard "half time" referred to as "cut time" but my school's music instructor always called it "half time" so thats what im going with
abraker
I am confused by "editor". Do you mean mapper? If so this sounds like a ranking criteria proposal.

It's hard to understand, but are you saying you want to allow mapping songs in half the bpm they actually are in?
VeilStar
The way I understood it is that he wants to be able to set the timing signature to 8/4 in the editor. 1/8 snapping allows for the same map to be made already though.
Zelzatter Zero

VeilStar wrote:

The way I understood it is that he wants to be able to set the timing signature to 8/4 in the editor. 1/8 snapping allows for the same map to be made already though.
Not 8/4, but 2/2.

But even with that it's still pretty impractical for me. Musical theory is too complex to the machine to handle like this. I think the 1/8 divisor is the best alternative for that whilst maintaining the BPM, like Veil said. 1/32 can just be deal with doubling BPM since you can feel the BPM doubled with just 1/8 notes already.