forum

Fingers stickier than glue...

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
-Chaeyoung
Not really an asking-for-help thread but I'm just so frustrated with 7key. I don't have a lot of play time with mania and recently started playing it intensely. I looked over some mania guides and they recommended me to play 7key to build 'finger independence'. So i did, and my god is it incredibly frustrating and annoying to play. I constantly mess up my thumb and my index key presses, sometimes its the ring and middle finger. Its really demotivating for me to continue playing. I am just a 1 star noob so its probably not a surprising thing. It doesn't really happen when i am pressing single notes. The 'finger sticking' only occurs when i see 2 or 3 notes coming at once, or long note sections. How long more until this issue goes away?
jees
This is definitely an issue in your developing finger independence. Push through this annoying time and you'll be fine. After 3 or so days of shifting from 4k to 7k I began to free myself from this same issue
[LS]PositoniX
if you wish to main 4k then you dont need to play 7k for this "finger independence" thing, as fingerlocks will happen to you no matter what. if you wish to play 7k alongside 4k, then just play more and practice on easy maps to get over this issue.
Bobbias
Here's how I break down the super early stages of learning 7k:

1: Learning to hit single notes on each column automatically
2: Learning to hit each 2 note chord automatically
3: Learning to hit simple 3 note chords automatically
4: Learning to hit more difficult 3 note chords automatically
5: Learning to hit larger chords automatically

It looks to me like you have only hit the first stage of beginning to learn 7k. It takes much longer to get through these stages than it does to begin learning 4k because the reading required in 7k is much more difficult, and 4k skill does not transfer over to 7k at all.

If you are serious about learning 7k, the only thing you can do is continue playing 7k and try to find maps that feature 2 note chords, but give you a lot of time to try to read them. You might want to consider even lowering your scroll speed if you're using whatever speed you're used to in 4k, in order to give yourself more time to read the chord properly.

It's true that 7k builds finger independence, but if you are really only interested in playing 4k, there's no real need to play 7k in order to build finger independence. 4k simply does not require very much finger independence. If you are interested in potentially playing every key mode from 4k to 7k in the future, I would definitely suggest continuing to learn 7k. But if your only reason for playing 7k is because some guide told you to, then you really don't need to continue doing this.