forum

Mouse only at the highest level of competition

posted
Total Posts
show more
Wishy
I think it's possible but harder. :p
Kanye West
And just because it's harder, you should just give up that playstyle? Sounds like someone's promoting an attitude of being a little bitch and conform to the majority.
GladiOol

Wishy wrote:

Still butt-hurt cause you got your team half banned? ;) By the way, maybe my post was not properly explained, if you read it again and try to see what I meant, you'll see I'm talking about people who are serious about the game and try to be good.

Wishy wrote:

Playing with the wrong device should make people think you're wasting your time other than giving you extra credit for being good with a bad play style. Really if you're serious about this game and play mouse-only there is something wrong with you.
I was serious about this game back in the day and played mouse only. I had fun and was serious about getting good scores/ranks. You're saying that when somebody does this, that there's something wrong with them. Well, if you are truly unable to see how stupid this remark is, then you truly are a stupid person. I am really curious what your IQ would be if you'd take a test.

Wishy wrote:

If you really want to be good and play mouse only, then you really love wasting your potential
How do you read your own bullshit without thinking: ''Hmm, maybe I should stop typing with my ass and let bullshit like this flow over the forums.''
Did you know it's possible to have fun in a game and still be serious? Yes, it is possible. Weird right? I had fun back in the day mouse only and still was serious about getting the best possible rank. ''no i am wisy not poissible there jus somthin wrong with head lol XD''

Wishy wrote:

Don't know why I'm answering to this Gladi kid tho, gotta be dumb to get banned several times in this game without cheating, no real possibility to hold any argument with his kind.
And this again shows your stupidity, really, how do you read your own crap without thinking how stupid you are? It's incredibly sad that you honestly do not understand that what you type is pure crap. I'm not even going to type out why, this is just sad. You are a sad person Wishy. Please take that IQ test, man, please oh fucking please.
Wishy

GladiOol wrote:

I was serious about this game back in the day and played mouse only. I had fun and was serious about getting good scores/ranks. You're saying that when somebody does this, that there's something wrong with them. Well, if you are truly unable to see how stupid this remark is, then you truly are a stupid person. I am really curious what your IQ would be if you'd take a test.
You clearly don't know what means to be serious about something, which leads you to say all that stuff. When you really want to be good about something you will use all possible means to achieve that, if you don't then you're not that serious and are just trying to have fun, say you're in the middle between being serious and being completely casual. You'd know this if you knew anything about... any really serious player. If you're serious about some game and don't use the best possible options to be good, then you're either stupid or not serious.

How do you read your own bullshit without thinking: ''Hmm, maybe I should stop typing with my ass and let bullshit like this flow over the forums.''
Did you know it's possible to have fun in a game and still be serious? Yes, it is possible. Weird right? I had fun back in the day mouse only and still was serious about getting the best possible rank. ''no i am wisy not poissible there jus somthin wrong with head lol XD''
Nope, not really, from the moment you're serious about something the top priority are results, fun comes after that. From the moment you prioritize fun over... seriousness? to a point your game level goes way lower, then you're not really serious, or you are serious and retarded.

And this again shows your stupidity, really, how do you read your own crap without thinking how stupid you are? It's incredibly sad that you honestly do not understand that what you type is pure crap. I'm not even going to type out why, this is just sad. You are a sad person Wishy. Please take that IQ test, man, please oh fucking please.
It's not pure crap, it's actually completely right. You just don't know what it means to be serious and try to be the best on something.

Kanye West wrote:

And just because it's harder, you should just give up that playstyle? Sounds like someone's promoting an attitude of being a little bitch and conform to the majority.
YES, if you really want to be good you should give up that playstyle. If you just want to have fun go ahead and play with your screen off if you want.
D33d
What if mouse-only, shock horror, works for some people? The only maps which I'd consider to be unplayable with a mouse would be terrible maps. If I found any of the harder maps compelling enough to want to practice them constantly, then I might actually become "pro" after a while. It sounds like you're mad at the fact that some people are better than you at using a mouse. For me, it feels much more satisfying. Then again, I only play this game for fun, as is the point of playing a game for me. I'm such a heretic.
Wishy
I still have to see any top tier player use that playstyle. I'm not really following pros anymore but from what I know most (if not all of them) do play with a tablet and a keyboard. Sadly there are devices which work better than other ones, just like on fighting games almost everyone uses an arcade stick, here most pros (if not all) use a tablet/mouse and keyboard, on shooters they use proper mouses instead of $3 ones, etc. Reality backs up what I'm saying so... no real point to argue about it. Can you be good with any play style? Yes. Are all play styles equally easy/hard? No. Are there better play styles if you are serious about being good? Yes.

I suck at this game and haven't been seriously playing for over 2 years, just playing for fun, I don't really care if somebody is better than me at all lol.
lolcubes
Well you still have to include people who did go tablet and went back to mouse. They either aren't comfortable with it, or they are just unable to utilize it properly for whatever reason. Such people can still rank up quite high.
Wishy
Talking about mouse-only.
D33d
In that case, why make such a big deal about it? I'd say that it's quite possible to get high ranks with nothing more than a mouse. When I'm actually trying, I have a pretty good amount of control with it. There's no reason to call something a waste of time, especially if it ends up making the player feel more connected to the game. I'd say that good mouse-only players are worthy of some kind of recognition, because it's a skill in itself and is the "proper" way to play.
silmarilen
i think the reason why mouse only players arent so high up is because very few people keep playing it long enough to be considered a pro
it is possible to play insane maps with it, look at shizuru on rainbow dash
Wishy
Not making a big deal. It's quite possible, yeah, yet harder. If you are investing your time in a game where you want to be very good and are really serious about it then you should play with a better play style so you can get even better than you are, and faster. If not, you're wasting time, because if you had changed your play style it's highly likely that you'd be better than you are right now. Again, it is a waste of time if you are serious about being really good and put that over having fun. If there is something that can make you better than you are, then use it.

I give recognition to mouse only players since I find it amazing how you can be so good on that play style, but that's it. But that's it, people who play for fun, if you're a serious player (which apparently some people here don't know what means to be serious) and still play mouse only then you're stupid.

silmarilen wrote:

i think the reason why mouse only players arent so high up is because very few people keep playing it long enough to be considered a pro
Because people switch to the better play style, tablet makes things easier overall for most players, so why not use it? It works like a skill boost to many.
lolcubes
It's more of a style to use keyboard rather than a tablet. I mean just playing tablet without a keyboard, don't think you will get far lol. The pointing device can still be a choice because there are some people who just don't like how tablet is working out for them, though statistics do point out that there is more success with a tablet.
Wishy
That's what I mean.
CXu
Being serious without having fun means shit. You'll just quit.
Wishy
You can play mouse only for fun and then switch to a better playstyle for serious playing.

There are people whose fun means getting insane top scores.
Tanzklaue

Wishy wrote:

You can play mouse only for fun and then switch to a better playstyle for serious playing.

look at players like shizuru and gladi, or doomsday before he switched back. you can be extremely crazy good with mouse only. people do not only play it for fun, it is also a serious playstyle that can compete on the very top level, if practiced enough.
JappyBabes
there's mouse only at the highest level of competition? that's news to me

real talk though

silmarilen wrote:

any impressive score done by shizuru, who has been the only 'top-tier' mouse only (at least in recent times), can be beaten by numerous tablet players.
Kanye West
I thought the highest level of competition was just cookiezi
Wishy

Tanzklaue wrote:

Wishy wrote:

look at players like shizuru and gladi, or doomsday before he switched back. you can be extremely crazy good with mouse only. people do not only play it for fun, it is also a serious playstyle that can compete on the very top level, if practiced enough.
Wrong. Leaving aside Cookiezi who is in his own tier, I don't see any mouse only player contesting top scores with people like rrtyui or Niko (can't think of other super players, but I'm sure there are, like sasakure or AIDIA).
Oinari-sama
IMO there's not much point debating about whether mouse only players are serious enough or not. There's ought to be serious mouse players who strive to reach the top (considering the number of players), but chances are you'll never see them. I have a theory for why there are so few mouse only player at top levels, read on if you're interested (wall of text coming up). Here's a TL;DR version if you're lazy:

People prefer equipments that are easy to use. There are not many mouse only players at top level because it is harder to excel. With a large player population there's ought to be mouse only player who trains seriously to get into top level of competition, we just haven't seen them reaching this level yet.

Long Version, aka Story Telling Mode
This is more of a story telling than a serious argument/debate. Please feel free to read on with the aim of amusing yourself. I was writing this quite late at night so the points/ideas may not be conveyed properly and the story may lack consistency, my apologies in advance. ;)

To excel in osu, one would require a serious amount of time and dedication. What better relation to make than combat martial arts.

Humans have been fighting and killing each others since ancient times. In order to perform this task more efficiently, there has always been people who wreck their brains to come up with new weapon and combat styles in order to gain an edge over their enemies. Starting with stones and sticks, new weapons were born and tested on the battle field. Weapons held by those who survived becomes the "standard" weapon of choice for that period of human history, until another weapon wins people victory in battle.

Weapon designs in the old days can be funky. Next time you visit historical museum go take a look at historical weapons. Some of the weapons serve a very specific purpose and can leave you scratching your head for hours, trying to figure out how to weld it, let alone killing someone with it. Some weapons are easily recognisable and doesn't take much guessing work to figure out how to use it. Well, guess what, human nature didn't change all that much in the last 100k years. Most people prefer something that achieves more efficient result while spending minimum effort in learning/training. More people train themselves to fight with swords, bow&arrows while you don't see many soldiers go to battle with sickles.

In the old days, news spread by word of mouth and often travels with merchants. Merchants have a lot of business to attend to and they will not remember someone's name unless they've truly (or rumoured to have) excel in something. Obviously weapon users distinguish themselves in battle or duels. Bearing in mind that if a weapon is easy to use, it will attract more users ie a larger user base, while the opposite can be said for weapons that are hard to use, it is clear that you'll hear more story about sword masters than "sickle masters." This drives more people to learn swords, while the sickle master is left to hang dry in his lone doujou. Students who initially tried learning sickle may "convert" to sword if they progress too slowly, since in the old days incompetence in combat skills usually means death. People did not train for fun, they were training seriously so they can raise the chance for survival.

Now what about the poor sickle master? He's losing students over time, competing with the more popular sword schools everywhere. He survived many duels and battles against top swordsman and combat artists, with all seriousness, so he could live to tell the story to his students, but that doesn't bring in more students because the sword school is more popular. People can name more famous swordsman than sickle masters. The doujou slowly dies out overtime, barely kept running by a very small group of dedicated elites. These elite students strive to become top combat artists in the world, they prefer sickle more than swords because they have an affinity with sickles (or they just wanted to honour the tradition). But their names may never be heard despite having skills that rival many top swordsman, simply because they're small in number and the swordsman have more chance to distinguish themselves in battle.

"Okay..." you said, "that story is all fine and well, but how did I compare mouse/tablet to sickle/sword? Most osu players start with mouse then move to tablet if they are serious about playing at top levels, but people in the old days don't necessarily start with sickles?" Well let's not forget that in the old days the majority of the populations (asians at least) are farmers who grow their own food (provided that they don't get robbed by bandits and authorities). Those people are no stranger to sickles at all, in fact they should all have certain level of competencies in it.

Wow...kudos to you if you've read all that. :D
yoyomster

Oinari-sama wrote:

This is more of a story telling than a serious argument/debate. Please feel free to read on with the aim of amusing yourself. I was writing this quite late at night so the points/ideas may not be conveyed properly and the story may lack consistency, my apologies in advance. ;)

To excel in osu, one would require a serious amount of time and dedication. What better relation to make than combat martial arts.

Humans have been fighting and killing each others since ancient times. In order to perform this task more efficiently, there has always been people who wreck their brains to come up with new weapon and combat styles in order to gain an edge over their enemies. Starting with stones and sticks, new weapons were born and tested on the battle field. Weapons held by those who survived becomes the "standard" weapon of choice for that period of human history, until another weapon wins people victory in battle.

Weapon designs in the old days can be funky. Next time you visit historical museum go take a look at historical weapons. Some of the weapons serve a very specific purpose and can leave you scratching your head for hours, trying to figure out how to weld it, let alone killing someone with it. Some weapons are easily recognisable and doesn't take much guessing work to figure out how to use it. Well, guess what, human nature didn't change all that much in the last 100k years. Most people prefer something that achieves more efficient result while spending minimum effort in learning/training. More people train themselves to fight with swords, bow&arrows while you don't see many soldiers go to battle with sickles.

In the old days, news spread by word of mouth and often travels with merchants. Merchants have a lot of business to attend to and they will not remember someone's name unless they've truly (or rumoured to have) excel in something. Obviously weapon users distinguish themselves in battle or duels. Bearing in mind that if a weapon is easy to use, it will attract more users ie a larger user base, while the opposite can be said for weapons that are hard to use, it is clear that you'll hear more story about sword masters than "sickle masters." This drives more people to learn swords, while the sickle master is left to hang dry in his lone doujou. Students who initially tried learning sickle may "convert" to sword if they progress too slowly, since in the old days incompetence in combat skills usually means death. People did not train for fun, they were training seriously so they can raise the chance for survival.

Now what about the poor sickle master? He's losing students over time, competing with the more popular sword schools everywhere. He survived many duels and battles against top swordsman and combat artists, with all seriousness, so he could live to tell the story to his students, but that doesn't bring in more students because the sword school is more popular. People can name more famous swordsman than sickle masters. The doujou slowly dies out overtime, barely kept running by a very small group of dedicated elites. These elite students strive to become top combat artists in the world, they prefer sickle more than swords because they have an affinity with sickles (or they just wanted to honour the tradition). But their names may never be heard despite having skills that rival many top swordsman, simply because they're small in number and the swordsman have more chance to distinguish themselves in battle.

"Okay..." you said, "that story is all fine and well, but how did I compare mouse/tablet to sickle/sword? Most osu players start with mouse then move to tablet if they are serious about playing at top levels, but people in the old days don't necessarily start with sickles?" Well let's not forget that in the old days the majority of the populations (asians at least) are farmers who grow their own food (provided that they don't get robbed by bandits and authorities). Those people are no stranger to sickles at all, in fact they should all have certain level of competencies in it.

This analogy holds up pretty well, except I don't really get the last two sentences :) Are you saying there that most people can be good with mouse only, but they won't do it because the majority doesn't and it takes more time than other play styles to reach a certain skill level?

Then a lot of mouse only players who are competitive are going against a the flow. Personally i don't think there's anything wrong with that, but you can't expect recognition from the majority if you're going against the way(s) that majority plays. After all, your way of playing is so strange to them that they don't understand why you would do more to achieve the same.
Oinari-sama

yoyomster wrote:

Oinari-sama wrote:

This analogy holds up pretty well, except I don't really get the last two sentences :) Are you saying there that most people can be good with mouse only, but they won't do it because the majority doesn't and it takes more time than other play styles to reach a certain skill level?

Then a lot of mouse only players who are competitive are going against a the flow. Personally i don't think there's anything wrong with that, but you can't expect recognition from the majority if you're going against the way(s) that majority plays. After all, your way of playing is so strange to them that they don't understand why you would do more to achieve the same.
lol, Kudos is acclaim or praise for exceptional achievement.

Ya you understood my point correctly. It's only human nature to want to pick a "better way" of doing things, if it takes less effort when compared to another method. Tablet vs Mouse is not very obvious at entry level, but at the highest level of competition everyone want an edge over the opponents. Look at Formula racing, the team techs and engineers wreck their brains all day long, spending tons of time and money just to get that 1% edge over other teams. It's totally understandable and nothing wrong with that.

Competitive mouse players are rare animals who either love the mouse so much (ie I was born to weld a mouse) or they want to prove something. Whether they're proving it to themselves or just to show others is another story, and I believe a good chunk of this thread's discussions is spent debating that. Regardless of their intention, I think mouse player who plays at this level deserves kudos ;)
TRIYP
I'm going to be completely honest here. I play mouse only because I have always played that way and it just feels natural too me. That being said, I don't think it would be beneficial for me to learn to play with a keyboard because of how slow the fingers on my left hand move when compared to my right hand. It's already taken a lot of practice for me to get to the level that I am and it would take me a stupidly long amount of time to get my left hand up to speed. I'm not what anyone would call serious for ranking high, but I consider myself to be serious in what I do. I'm serious in the fact that I want to get high accuracy full combos on maps with nomod. Just because I will probably never really rank high, does that make me any less serious or stupid for trying to play with a "bad style"? The answer is clearly no.
Wishy
Imagine I didn't know how to ride a bike, that doesn't mean it wouldn't be worth learning how to do so since I'll be faster on a bike than on feet.
jesse1412

Wishy wrote:

Imagine I didn't know how to ride a bike, that doesn't mean it wouldn't be worth learning how to do so since I'll be faster on a bike than on feet.
The only difference is you could never compare to a bike if you're on foot which makes this a horrible analogy.
VoidnOwO

jesus1412 wrote:

Wishy wrote:

The only difference is you could never compare to a bike if you're on foot which makes this a horrible analogy.
What if the distance between start and finish line is 15 feet?
jesse1412

BRBP wrote:

jesus1412 wrote:

What if the distance between start and finish line is 15 feet?
Well that's why this is a shit analogy.
Porsche
Mouse only is easily possible, the problem is youll destroy your mouse pretty fast... not the smartest thing monetary wise.
VoidnOwO
:)
Wishy

jesus1412 wrote:

Well that's why this is a shit analogy.
If you think about it you'll see how it actually makes sense from some point of view. :P
TRIYP

Wishy wrote:

Then why do people still train to compete in track competitions? Why would anyone want to run if you could just ride a bike instead?
Wishy
Because using a bike on that kind of events is not allowed, which means it is cheating.

Now imagine there is a race where you can use either a bike or... nothing at all, do you really think anyone wouldn't use a bike? Except for casuals that don't care about winning. Talking about 10mts long races could be compared as playing easy maps on osu!, it doesn't really matter what you use. Even then getting a good performance on a tablet may be harder because you gotta get used to it, while a mouse player is already used to his device.
Winshley
I would rather compare bike (mouse/tablet + keyboard) with roller blades (mouse only), which might be an excellent example.

I can't use roller blades, but I can ride a bike. I bet there's at least one person that could use roller blades while not being able to ride a bike.
lolcubes
Imagine being on roller blades and encountering a banana on the way.
Now that's something I wouldn't want.
buny

TRIYP wrote:

Wishy wrote:

Then why do people still train to compete in track competitions? Why would anyone want to run if you could just ride a bike instead?
that was a really bad analogy.
yoyomster

jesus1412 wrote:

Wishy wrote:

True, mouse only is as good as the other play styles. If you're up to the challenge that is :) We need more challengers!
D33d
Yeah, it only takes somebody to rape some face with a mouse and it'll demonstrate its validity in competitive play. From what I've gathered, a lot of people only decide to use the keyboard because other people tell them that it's better. I won't touch the thing, because it feels like a disjointed copout. If somebody's comfortable with a particular playstyle, then they should continue to use it.
Lapis-
Personally, just play what you feel best and comfortable with.
If you do that and dedicate, you can be competitive with any input device really.
dNextGen
why the fuck people take wishy's cmnts seriously?

we all know he is bad at arguing since the cookiezi debating days back in 2010
Futurola
Just play how you want to play. But personally I luv mouse only.
show more