forum

Beatmap Ranking

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Scorblex
Hello, my question on this topic is a bit complex to understand, so I will use examples to explain myself more clearly.

Well, the question is: what happens if I change something in a classified beatmap? I mean, if I download a map from the beatmap listing, but change something to that map, for example, the beatmap has no video or storyboard, so I create a storyboard for that map, does it affect anything?
I mean, I know I can't upload the map to the beatmap list because I didn't fully create it, but with the changes I make, when I play it on my PC, will it still be classifiable?
Endaris
If you go into the editor and select "File -> Open Song Folder" you will see the beatmap folder that contains .osu files, the sound file and various assets.
As long as the .osu file is unchanged, the map will be considered "unchanged" and scores will submit to the online rankings.
Doing a storyboard won't change the .osu as storyboard code is generated in a separate file (unless you make it difficulty specific).
Adding a video would change the storyboard though as this adds a line in the .osu file.

That being said, through its anti-cheat measures osu! will in most cases detect if you made a storyboard to help yourself in playing a map with the flashlight mod better, so don't add a storyboard for that purpose.
lewski
If you do anything that changes the .osu file, you'll see that the game starts prompting you to update the map to the latest version. In this state, you won't be able to submit scores on the map. As for other files, you can do anything you want with them. For example, you can change the background image as long as the filename stays the same, you can delete the video (I've deleted almost every osu! background video to save space), and you can even add additional hitsounds if the map uses a custom sampleset with some unchanged samples.

Since you mentioned storyboards, yeah, you can create one. It has to be for the entire mapset, though, since diff-specific storyboards are stored in their respective .osu files, while mapset-wide storyboards don't touch the .osu files at all. If you use the in-game storyboard editor, you'll obviously have to save every now and then, which will make the game prompt you to update the map to the latest version. You can safely do that, since it only affects the .osu, not the .osb, so the map will still have a leaderboard, but it'll have your storyboard on it. If you use external editors, you probably won't even face that problem.
Topic Starter
Scorblex
Those are good news, now I can continue with my project, thanks for your help