forum

[duplicate] Being able to write text to find and identify beatmaps

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
Stickmano
Hello everyone, I recently came up with an idea which I believe would improve quality of life in osu!. I'm not the only person who has so many maps that sometimes it can be hard to remember either the contents of the beatmap, or sometimes even any type of metadata that would allow me to search for the map inside the client, like the title, the artist name or difficulty name.
The idea I had was, what if we were able to write beatmap specific notes into the difficulties of a song? For example, say i have a Camellia map, I play it, and afterwards, to remember something about the map, i would write in some empty notepad attached to the beatmap difficulty: "Tech map, with disjointed streams and fast long sliders", so that next time I play the map I know those things in advance.
The second part of that feature, that would solve the other part I complained about, with not remembering any metadata about a map you want to play, is that what you write into this notepad would also be part of what you can look for with the ingame search. Say i wanted to find the Camellia map i spoke about earlier, but I didn't remember the fact that it was a Camellia map (unlikely) but I still remembered that the map was tech, and that I would have likely branded it as such. I could write ingame "tech", and besides the maps whose metadata has the word "tech" in there somewhere, all the maps in which I had written "tech" would also appear.
I think this would be quite a versatile feature, because you could use it either to leave notes to your future self about the nature of the beatmap, or basically as a way to add tags into the beatmaps into you play, so you can search for them easily ingame. The last thing that would maybe be useful with this is to somehow add the ability to search only the things written inside this notepads, so that the maps with metadata similar to what you are looking for in the notepads wouldn't appear.
I know this feature is already somewhat encompassed with collections, but still i think it has some advantages. If I have a long map with big jump spikes and long streams, I would have to add it into 3 collections, "Consistency", "Jump Spikes" and "Long Streams", whereas with my feature request you would write those three tags into the notepad, which personally i would find more user friendly. Anyways, thanks for reading.
abraker
Topic Starter
Stickmano
Those two requests are about notes in the editor that would aid the modding and making of maps, what I was suggesting was like a textfile accessible near the leaderboards for a beatmap difficulty, which would be used by players, and with what you write being searchable ingame.
abraker