forum

Kudosu System

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
peppy
As of now the kudosu system has been fully implemented. As discussed at the meeting, this system will be in testing over the coming weeks with an aim of increasing the amount of modding that happens, and reduce ranking turn-around time. Read on for important details!

Kudosu is a new rating system. You will see your kudosu count next to each of your posts (and in your profile soon). You earn kudosu by modding other people's maps. This means that when you post in another person's beatmap thread with feedback or tips on how to improve their map, they can award you 1 or 2 kudosu (depending on the age of the map) if they find your response useful.

If you are a BAT member, or the creator of a map, you will be able to allocate kudosu to other people in your threads. Please do this wisely, and only give kudosu when they are deserved. The main thing to think about before rewarding posters: Does this post contain constructive criticism about my map which will help me improve it?. The feedback doesn't necessarily need to be in-depth and technical - as long as you found it helpful, please give the poster kudosu.

Now you may ask what is the point of collecting kudosu? The second part of the system - the Star system (ETA: tomorrow) will see that you can trade in your kudosu for kudosu stars. These stars (along with user stars and BAT stars) will stack on your map and make it higher in the BAT modding priority list. The proposed rate of exchange is 3 kudosu for one kudosu star.

Once you earn kudosu, you will be able to trade them for kudosu stars which you can assign to a specific map (cannot be removed after they are used) to increase their priority. This means the more you mod other people's maps, the more your own maps will get noticed!

The Star System will be explained in more detail tomorrow, so hold out for that :).

Please note that all kudosu allocations are logged and abusers will be punished. BATs have the ability to revoke and deny kudosu for specific posts.

Leave any feedback, comments or questions here!

p.s. All current posts in Pending Betamaps and Beatmap Help are subject to kudosu. Please go and give people the kudosu they deserve!
awp
I'm glad for this and hope it works as intended. I'm hoping (at the very least) BATs can see who gave who kudosu so that we can detect any groups of individuals who are just spamming kudosu on one another in order to gain stars for map prioritizing. Anyone who does this is probably going to get some degree of the axe.
Topic Starter
peppy
All actions are logged (including BAT actions). Revoked kudosu counts are accumulated per-user as well, and will be monitored closely.
YoshiKart
Kudos to the Kudosu system, peppy. :)

However, I want to ask about collab maps. If the creator of the OP decides to mod another person's difficulty in that thread, can mods "force kudosu" that person's post?
Topic Starter
peppy

YoshiKart wrote:

Kudos to the Kudosu system, peppy. :)

However, I want to ask about collab maps. If the creator of the OP decides to mod another person's difficulty in that thread, can mods "force kudosu" that person's post?
For the moment; no, this is not possible. May look at it later on.
Detective Tuesday
Just to be clear:

-Can a map be given several stars, or just one? (just making sure I interpreted right... If so, it's a dumb question =P)

-Also, if your map has been given a star already by a BAT before this system is implemented, does that count as one kudosu star?
Topic Starter
peppy
topic stars (the current BAT starring format) will be upgraded automatically to BAT stars.

BAT stars will increase priority by +3.
Kudosu stars will increase priority by +2.
User stars will increase priority by +1.

All of the above stars can stack. This means that many users can give you stars (once per user per map), you can trade in many kudosu for kudosu stars (no limit per map), and multiple BAT members can award their stars (once per BAT member per map).

I am thinking a bubble will increase priority by something close to 10, but will not be stackable.
nomedeusuarionaodisp
I hope this works well. It just hurts to have your maps completely ignored by everyone. sadface.
Thanks yet again peppy. I'll try my best.
Fallen
This sounds like a good idea. :D
Good job peppy.
foLn
the system sounds good. lets watch how it'll work.

but one thing isnt told. where is the part, when the map gets ranked? how is that done?
is it possible that a map without stars is getting ranked because there are no more bugs(that need to be modded)? because that is very possible i think. one map could get modded a lot but the creator didnt put kudosus(stars) on it.

tldr: at what part the map is getting ranked?

oh, also, how many users a creator can give kudosus to?
Metroid
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Ekaru

foLn wrote:

the system sounds good. lets watch how it'll work.

but one thing isnt told. where is the part, when the map gets ranked? how is that done?
is it possible that a map without stars is getting ranked because there are no more bugs(that need to be modded)? because that is very possible i think. one map could get modded a lot but the creator didnt put kudosus(stars) on it.

tldr: at what part the map is getting ranked?

oh, also, how many users a creator can give kudosus to?
Well, if a lot of users modded it, thought it was good, and starred it, it would eventually gain enough priority to get modded if the creator didn't put any kudosu stars on it. Nothing found wrong with it, bubbled, + nice sized priority boost. Then if nothing found wrong with it again, ranked. If not, back to star, rinse and repeat. ;P

AKA as it always has, just with a priority list.

Also, a creator can give kudosu to anyone who makes an actual mod post in their topic. I don't think there's a limit? Don't give kudosu to posts that aren't mod posts, or that just say "this map sucks" or "this map is the best ever!" It should at least say why the map sucks, or the good points of the map, something that is useful.
Pokebis
This is a wonderful system. Great job.
Chaos Anime X
Biggest and best news in all my time of playing Osu!
Jarby
I think kudosu givers should have a sort of 'half-kudosu' for posts that are only mildly helpful.
Dranoel
Can we retroactively add Kudosu to already approved maps?

EDIT:
One thing I worry about this system is that it hurts new mappers.
  1. Kudosu comes from giving good comments and criticism.
  2. Being able to give good comments and criticism depends largely on the mapper's experience.
  3. Experience comes largely from receiving criticism from maps they make.
  4. New mappers won't receive as much criticism because older mappers have more kudosu.
The argument I see is that new players can look at and study maps that are being worked on, though the typical new mapper won't look as far as that unless being directly told to.

I propose that there be workshops. What I'm thinking is to have a pack of .osu files of short, simple songs with examples. Each song could focus on a different aspect of good beatmapping. The examples would highlight different approaches to beatmapping.
cyanberryio
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Topic Starter
peppy
Long maps shouldn't really be ranked. Try and cut down the length.

We are working on making it more noob friendly - having a random "mod a noob's map" button for people to use, and maybe a kudosu bonus for doing so.

The topic explains how kudosu are given retrospectively.
gaph2000
At the meeting it seemed alot more complicated. At least now I can understand it :) Few Questions:

1) So beatmaps still can get graveyarded, right?
2) Wasn't something disscussed about having modders monitor the end of the list?
3) So anyone can view the priority list, or just BATs?
4) If 3) is everyone, are we forced to mod near the top, or can we mod anywhere?
Ekaru
show more