forum

[resolved] Game Lag: Common Causes and Solutions

posted
Total Posts
show more
Yochi_old
i tried setting it to 120...and it glitched and restarted osu, setting it back to 60fps...
Yochi_old
on the menu it does this...

Vladyka_old
On each map 1-2 times I have the lag, such a way that everything was freezes and after it can't play normal. I try set minimal screen resolution and put a tick in the 'weak PC'. Nothing helps. What's problem?
peppy

Yochi wrote:

Your dll seems corrupt. delete osu.dll and run the updater.
Yochi_old

peppy wrote:

Yochi wrote:

Your dll seems corrupt. delete osu.dll and run the updater.
i tried that and its still doing the same thing... :(
peppy
Something is very very wrong with your PC/graphics card then. Try updating your graphics drivers.
Yochi_old

peppy wrote:

Something is very very wrong with your PC/graphics card then. Try updating your graphics drivers.
i downloaded the driver update thing from dell, and saved in the 'drivers' folder and extracted it. i theeen installed what i assumed to be the driver since it said ATI driver and restarted cause it told me to...but it didnt change osu at all and made everything on my desktop huge...like the osu window, it would have a bar around it where i could see my desktop, now it takes up the whole screen...i tried changing the screen resolution, but that cut off some things, like the start button on one setting. the screen resolution is at the same that it was before i installed the driver...
Yochi_old
i fixed the screen problem...but osu still lags badly...):
Sup A Noob
I've come across something really awesome. Please hear me out.

My osu! now has the ability to spike randomly for the next 5-6 seconds, during which I take my headphones and throw them on to the ground in frustration. Strangely, it doesn't happen on my laptop, probably because it has a much better GPU than my desktop.

After getting hit by this spike numerous times, I figured it was either due to the fact I now have 50-60 combo bursts or my desktop's GPU is starting to grow old.

But here's the catch: I do remember having 50-60 combo bursts and not once osu! spiked on me until recently.

Either way, I still need to observe when exactly it happened. Last it spiked a combo burst was just leaving the screen, but I don't want to be too sure until I observe this problem another five times.
ouranhshc
my osu! has been having weird lags lately. when I start playing osu! it stays at 60fps and then drops to around 30fps for a couple seconds and then goes back up to 60fps. the cycle repeats itself. I tried restarting my computer but it doesn't seem to fix anything
MMzz

Chaquan wrote:

I played Oregon State University! For several months now and since about a month, Oregon State University! Behind the start of each 7 / 8 minutes, while in the game. 2 minutes later it disappeared. However, after another seven minutes behind....
LOL @ This guy V:
/offtopic
Sup A Noob
Ok, updated report.

My osu! spikes randomly. As in, spikes so badly I can't move and play and I die afterwards. If the song ends and I'm not dead, the song doesn't end.
Lybydose
I'm still getting the "100 second lagspikes". That is, the game often stalls for a moment at a point about 100 seconds after starting a beatmap (any map). This doesn't happen all the time though. When it does, I check the memory usage of osu! in the Windows Task Manager, and it's always significantly higher than normal until I restart:

I think one time it reached over a GB of memory.

Compare to a fresh restart of the client:

This is happening on the public build. It was also happening on the test build as of a few weeks ago, but I don't know about right now. I'm not sure how to cause the memory usage to ramp up, so I can't exactly just load up the test build and check real quick.
Zerostarry
Something went very wrong with my PC a week ago.. and I had to fix it by reinstalling windows. I had XP before, now I upgraded to Windows 7

and osu! lags terribly now, the cursor feels really loose too, I dunno if it's part of the lag or just my mouse settings, but i'm really afraid I can never play osu the same way again, i really love this game ;_;

Lybydose
@Zerostarry:

For mouse settings, try any of the following:

-In game options, check "Enable mouse precision mode"

-Switch frame limiter (F7) to either 120fps or unlimited. 60fps frame limitation sometimes does something weird to mouse movement.

-In Windows mouse settings (Start => Control Panel => View by Small Icons => Mouse => Pointer Options tab) DISABLE "Enhance pointer precision" (this is different from the similar sounding setting in osu!)

Also, your CPU appears to be running at a fairly high temperature, and your video card is shady (nVidia video HP?). Use a can of air to blow dust out of your computer, ESPECIALLY if you've had the computer for a while and never done that, as all the dust can interfere with cooling and cause everything to overheat.
Sup A Noob

Lybydose wrote:

I'm still getting the "100 second lagspikes". That is, the game often stalls for a moment at a point about 100 seconds after starting a beatmap (any map). This doesn't happen all the time though. When it does, I check the memory usage of osu! in the Windows Task Manager, and it's always significantly higher than normal until I restart:

I think one time it reached over a GB of memory.

Compare to a fresh restart of the client:

This is happening on the public build. It was also happening on the test build as of a few weeks ago, but I don't know about right now. I'm not sure how to cause the memory usage to ramp up, so I can't exactly just load up the test build and check real quick.
I'm getting the "five-seconds lagspikes". Mine's completely random, and can even happen while playing a beatmap.

However I believe the cause to our lagspikes are the same. Problem is, what is the cause?
flyer3f
Hello. I'm having a problem with my mouse lagging when there's video played.

The only thing I can think of that would cause it is when I upgraded my video card, but I don't understand how. My new video card runs circles around the one I had when Osu! worked fine. Anyone know any way I can fix this, or should I just play with video off?
ambots13
I have the same lag issue with Saphire HD 4350

Is this game not compatible with my new video card?
Timekiller
I started experiencing really heavy lags while playing recently. To the point where game starts resembling some slideshow - playing insanes is VERY fun now. The fun thing is that FPS counter shows something in 120~80 range.
I can't be really sure, but it seems this all started right after OSU! updated a few days ago. Not to mention that the FPS counter itself somehow turned on automatically after that update.

Lags appear occasionaly, last for a while, then disappear. As I wrote that post, for example, at the beginning osu! was lagging furiously, but now FPS counter shows 600-900 fps, and lags disappeared completely, and the game's running VERY smoothly.
Also, everything seems to be a little better if I close Opera and other programs, but - they're not eating any resources except memory (and only 1GB is consumed, checked via taskman), and everything worked just fine even with much more heavy background load less then two weeks ago.

I didn't change/update/install anything into the system for some time before/after lags began, so that can't be the reason. Also tried limiting the framerate to 60/low end PC modes - no luck, no changes at all.

Sys Specs:

Win XP SP2
Core2Duo E2200
NV Geforce 8600GT
2GB Ram

I understand that issue might be because of browser being a bitch and overloading the system while opened on some pages, which together with the hellish air temperature (>30 celsium ATM) would cause something throttle-like in the processor, but temperature is below 45 cels. on CPU and about 60 on GPU (according to everest, BIOS shows something about 30 for CPU), so I don't really think this is the case.

P.S. Digged into the matter deeper while writing this. Lags certainly seem to appear when I have Opera opened on some pages w/heavy animation, because it's eating up the processor, but they appear as well when it is minimized and CPU usage, aside from OSU, is 0. And then again, everything worked just fine until recently, even with the animated pages in the background. Also, seeing lags while FPS shows 350+ is amusing.

P.P.S. While I'm at it, two other bugs, rather minor compared to that one:
1) OpenGL mode seems broken - OSU! would flash with transparency roughly once a second, hence it's nearly impossible to play.
2) While in Multiplayer, when everyone is ready to play, if you hit F5 and, while you're updating, host will start the game, then you'll be back to the multiplayer screen and everyone else would just stall. Encountered this only once, don't know if it's repeatable.

UPD: aaaand osu just crashed while in multiplayer. It seems something is broken after all.
leong124
I found that if your cursor lags/freezes occationally while the game runs smoothly, you can try to optimise the processor scheduling to be "Programs", like this: http://windows-xp-tricks.com/optimize-p ... -speed.php

GameBooster may help too. I finally solved my cursor lag problem by doing this, and I can play at unlimited frame rate with a quite crappy computer.
Espionage724
Made a topic already, but if you have a ASUS Xonar audio card, you should check this out: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=60807

Also if you have a Logitech mouse, if your trying to do the 1000Mhz USB Mouse polling driver trick and you have SetPoint installed, make sure to setup SetPoint so that it uses the OS's acceleration instead of SetPoints
Andruchon
my mouse lags, even if i switch between vsync/120 fps/ unlimited.
with video it lags with 60/120 more then unlimited
with no video it lags with unlimited more then 60/120
Actually, it "slides" i move, and after a longer time the mouse moves.

My mouse:
Razer Imperator

Dpi: 5600
query-rate: 1000 Hz
Windows sensitivity: full
Osu! sensitivity: 1.5x

my computer:
Prozessor: Intel core 2 CPU 6400@ 2.13GHz
RAM: 3 GB
Graca: Radeon 4650 HD

i think if i can run black ops without lags, i should run osu without lags too.

i'm not realy good at that, but if you need more info tell me...

hope you can help me :D

btw. ingame fps with video 150-250
without video: 300-400
Bakario
maybe is a problem with the mouse driver,you maybe can use another configuration.anyway the drivers of those mouse let you save like 4 settings
Andruchon
i don't thinks so, but when i disabled precision mode, it got better...not much...but better
QwertyHive
is a repeating left red (Taiko) considered as lag <delay?>?

i've tried to even lift my hands away from keyboard, but it still pressing, but after several times it stop (so it is like automatic left red?)

sometimes it help but sometimes it is annoying

thank you, and sorry if i've posted in the wrong topic

Update : it even happen with a song that never use the big button (so i just use c and v, but those reds are coming)
Lingren_old
Hello, guys, here is my problem:
Taiko's perfomance feels laggy and choppy. But there is no such problem in OSU.
My PC is modern, so the problem isn't in perfomance. Moreover, when I had XP, these lags weren't appearing, unless I obtained
Windows 7.
Changing frame limit didn't really help.Also I don't have proper resolutions for my monitor in OSU settings, there are ones only for wide-screen.
What are probable solutions for that?
NixXSkate

Andruchon wrote:

my mouse lags, even if i switch between vsync/120 fps/ unlimited.

My mouse:
Razer Imperator
If anyone else has this problem, the problem is the Razer Imperator. The Imperator has z-axis tracking issues and the slightest tiniest lift while spinning makes the cursor jump down and fucks up the tracking horribly. Pretty useless answering that question now since it's been 4 months since the post, but oh well... I had experienced this problem, too, with my Razer Imperator.

Anyway, I was hoping somebody could tell me why the game lags only on certain specific notes, everytime I play. If I don't play for a long time then I normally don't have this problem, but if I play for a bit, there might be a certain note/point (or more) in the song that lags everytime I play. When I check my video card (nvidia geforce 9600 gso), it feels normal, not overheating. I've also tried with the low-end settings in osu!, all storyboard elements moved, and practically everything closed (including explorer.exe even) but the song I'm playing always lags at certain spots everytime. Generally if the song has a video, the video will also freeze when this happens.
DivineRage
I'm also having mouse lag issues. It just feels like the mouse is dragging whenever I'm running osu. I sit around 450~ fps and I'm using a steelseries Xai. I've been using the same mouse for the past few months and it happens pretty infrequently but it's really bad today and yesterday D: No issues outside of osu and I've restarted my computer and force closed any programs that may be causing issues D:

I haven't recently made any software changes at all so I'm not sure why it would happen. Like I said it's happened before but it's just really frustrating to play when the mouse feels like it's dragging.
Haseo_old
Change to DirectX.
seasonS

Haseo wrote:

Change to DirectX.
Still lagging like crazy And when i press skip on a song the "skip" button stays the whole song
Haseo_old
Have you tried clearing up some songs? Remove some files in your computer, empty your recycle bin, and I suggest that you make osu! the only window active.
seasonS

Haseo wrote:

Have you tried clearing up some songs? Remove some files in your computer, empty your recycle bin, and I suggest that you make osu! the only window active.
Well it was fine and i was just sitting there then poof, it went horrible without touching anything. Should i delete songs? i have 4,004 beatmaps
Haseo_old

Sk8rdude4438 wrote:

4,004 beatmaps
Yes you should. Try reducing it in half.
seasonS

Randy96 wrote:

http://osu.ppy.sh/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=42149
I have choppy gameplay
Randy96
post in that thread and read the solutions ._.
seasonS
Osu! randomly (without me changing any settings at all) started lagging and having choppy gameplay. My computer on everything except osu runs fine. When i type, it lags about 5 sec. behind. And when i open skins to change it, it lags and i cant control it at all.
Also when i play a song and press "skip" the "skip" button stays and wont leave.
My computer recently keeps saying "High memory usage on: Osu!" How can i change this to run smooth? I tried reinstalling and i only have 4,000 beatmaps. Also i use open-gl and 60FPS please help .
Edit: It doesnt do the "3,2,1 GO" either
Edit: Spinners wont show up either and when i spectate it shows the mouse not moving at all and all misses
**EDIT** I believe the main issue with my osu is that its using MORE memory and power than is needs to or ever has in the past. How do i slow down or bring down the memory usuage?
Edot: When i go into skins the FPS goes from 60-65 to 1-3 D:
seasonS

Randy96 wrote:

post in that thread and read the solutions ._.
I tried re-installing and now it says "invalid drive F:/"
seasonS
Pictures of my problem above.

Sakura
Try using frame limiter? sometimes it helps
seasonS

Sakura Hana wrote:

Try using frame limiter? sometimes it helps
I have it on Open-Gl and 60Fps limiter
show more