forum

How do you make heat waves more bearable?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Uhorky
I live in a region that has naturally relatively cool summer but this last wef years the temps rised significantly and now more often than not it reaches past 30/35°C and I have really hard times keeping up with normal life or sleep in such insufferable temperatures (when I have 28,8°C in my room at night). I cant afford AC unfortunately and i have fan. Any lifehacks would be greately appreciated!
xch00F
dunno what your living situation is but here are some tips from some dude who lives in the desert. it's about 43c today and that's pretty tolerable for me, once we hit like 45c that's when it's sweltering

get a hand towel wet with room temperature or lower water, lay it on your forehead and blast it with your fan
if you have a freezer or can get ice somehow, you can put a bunch of ice into a large container with a wide top and put in front of your fan so the fan it blowing partially over the top of the container. the ice will cool the air around it and your fan will blast that cool air at you. if you can do this with something like a ice chest/large cooler it's even better. you can also put a wet hand towel in the freezer.

also drink a fuck ton of water
SeryosFeveros
Make yourself wet with water, like a spray gun or something I forgot what it was called and constantly spray yourself with it, this essentially gives the same effect as sweating, except much more faster to cool you down
Jangsoodlor
Advice from someone living in a tropical country
- DO NOT FORGET TO DRINK LOTS OF WATER or otherwise you'd get heatstroke (very important cuz heatstroke is not funny). Drinking water also help cooling yourself off
- open your house/apartment windows, it'd help with the airflow

That's about it I guess
Winnyace
AC?
xch00F

Winnyace wrote:

AC?
air conditioning
some places in europe apparently don't have ac in their homes because it hasn't been needed

thanks, climate change
Puppet
I normally just try to drink more and always have icecream ready in the freezer
Lyawi

xch00F wrote:

Winnyace wrote:

AC?
air conditioning
some places in europe apparently don't have ac in their homes because it hasn't been needed

thanks, climate change
That's true. we just suffer now
Topic Starter
Uhorky

Winnyace wrote:

AC?
Dont have it, we never needed AC as I live in country thats has 60% area covered by mountain ranges and its kinda expensive investition
I AM VERY SMART
Water is the only option my friend.
great_elmo
Not much we can do during our annual Wildfire Season.
Fan is a must. Cold water. No going outside. It's not even that hot outside rn.
Reyalp51
fan in my face, towel in my head
Kaaruumii
bathe in super cold water
Melodies
Each year I wonder how I even survived the previous one when the temperatures get this hot
MistressRemilia
Sometimes I'll wash my hands in cold water, letting it run over my wrists for a minute or so to cool me down. Then I rub the water over my arms and don't dry it. Helps a little bit.

I also built an AC out of copper tubing, a fish pump, iced salt water, and a fan once. Helped cool things a few degrees.
hehemanhon
what is hot
[/url]⠀
great_elmo
Ah shit, we're back in heatwave mode (and wildfire season! DOUBLE WHAMMY!)

Fan on full blast is the only way since we don't have AC.
jugglernaut
i'd either become shirtless or have some iced juice (or water if we run out)
I AM VERY SMART
Remember osu! players, water is the best drink you can have in this weather.
Utsushime
Wear the bare minimum clothing to save modesty.
Eyeonized
i just suffer and drink water lmao
Luqanted
water
Eyeonized
during the uk 'heatwave' with no ac i just cope to be honest. if i cant stand playing osu in the heat i just go and sit in the shade with something i can use as a hand fan
I AM VERY SMART
I HATE SUMMER SO MUCH. IT'S SO HOT HERE.

Farfocele
You don't. It's been years and I still don't know.
Polyspora
no idea, long time with no heatwaves here