forum

How to improve at osu!

posted
Total Posts
show more
apreson132
Thx this is very helpful
Windowpane
Wow this is amazing thanks. finally tried osu and got quickly sucked in.
Hollow Delta
I'm an all-rounder player. I have at least 500+ points in every skillset besides Memory on osuskills.com

^ This will never fully represent what you're capable of, but it at least gives you an idea of what a player is capable of.

When it comes to generally improving at osu! (And just life in general) you want to focus on your weak points while maintaining your skillset in other areas of osu. Osu is a complicated game, when it comes to just clicking circles: There's a lot of ways you could do that. It branches off into technical maps, streams, jumps, reading-patterns, memory, that's not even considering the mods that can be applied to make the game different. It has such a large learning curve because there's a lot that goes into that, that's what separates it from other rhythm games, though: It consistently pushes you to be better.

If I'm gonna give an example: A HR player's good with HR, but they're bad with DT. They decide they're focus specifically on DT from that point on until they're satisfied with where they're at. Well, the issue now is he's good at DT, but he hasn't been improving in HR: if anything, they've gotten worse with it. So they change their focus from purely DT, to maybe DT + cs5, ar8.5+DT (AR8.5 with DT is AR10, just like how HR makes most maps AR10) or they might play a HR map every other DT map they play so as to tell their brain "This is still an essential skillset, don't forget this"

Do you see the point, though? They're building off of the skillsets they have to get to where they wanna be. Rather than changing from one type of player to another, they simply gained: they became better.

Most players who start to play DT "switch over" rather than build off of what they had before. Because of that, they can somehow be better with DT than nomod, when nomod was what everybody on osu! started out with.

Those are just my bits on how you could improve, it's very broad because it can be applied to anything: streams, mods, tournaments, life, school, you name it.

Be creative with how you go about things, osu!'s a lot of fun because it offers you a consistent challenge.
Chocolatemoloko
I noticed that there is a big jump between 3 and 4 star (imo), it's kind of jarring since I feel I can't really keep up, are there any tips to help me improve?
Akumace1
deleted
Juztan
I have osu improvement guide on my profile, I’m sure it will help with improving in the game!!
Diamond 7119
PLAY MORE, PLAY MORE, PLAY MORE. Thats how to get better
PhilippineEevee
git gud
pinkliquid
im not good at osu myself, but i think consistency is a large factor and also having a good keyboard can help you with accuracy. I also think playing different patterns on different beatmaps can help you when playing different maps.

overall, just play more.
Watervapor
Develop fundamentals first, then focus on a specific skillset you want to be good at.

ofc you got to have a good mindset and dedication. It pays off later on
JudgementSider
Note: This is all opinionated based off of my own personal experience.

People talk about accuracy, but no one ever talks about precision aka unstable rate. You can be very accurate, but without good precision, you will be inconsistent. Work on precision before accuracy. Just think, if you hit all 100s on a map at the same moments per note, you only will need to adjust your latency. If you hit 300s and 100s and some 50s, your accuracy is more than likely not the problem. (Hypothetically) I rather tap to the beat and miss every note, instead of hitting all 300s and fc choke. And more importantly, don't stress yourself out if you feel stuck. GLHF :D
Lilyn

Chocolatemoloko wrote:

I noticed that there is a big jump between 3 and 4 star (imo), it's kind of jarring since I feel I can't really keep up, are there any tips to help me improve?
Start with low 4* then up. It's the same procedure for every star.
Splixzyy

JudgementSider wrote:

Note: This is all opinionated based off of my own personal experience.

People talk about accuracy, but no one ever talks about precision aka unstable rate. You can be very accurate, but without good precision, you will be inconsistent. Work on precision before accuracy. Just think, if you hit all 100s on a map at the same moments per note, you only will need to adjust your latency. If you hit 300s and 100s and some 50s, your accuracy is more than likely not the problem. (Hypothetically) I rather tap to the beat and miss every note, instead of hitting all 300s and fc choke. And more importantly, don't stress yourself out if you feel stuck. GLHF :D
I’ve been thinking about this recently. I’m getting 97+ acc but sometimes not even getting half the combo and I think that’s why. This is worth paying attention to.
Shiinkai
Play more lmao
Lxnaa
Well idk if this is the place to ask this but steel series apex 5 or hyperx alloy origins?
huge gey
Idk what it is but whenever I tell myself to "not think" I suddenly play alot better.
- Virtu -

huge gey wrote:

Idk what it is but whenever I tell myself to "not think" I suddenly play alot better.
can relate
TheGmingSqueakr
Thanks!
YomiO
Fundamentals
dimedesu
Yes
VetKwab69
Play more
EthanPress
I already improved osu until hard maps. Not insane.
Human Sadness
true
dragwiard910
Well shoot, that explains why I cant play any lower than 9 without mods
frowwn
guys just play practice jump maps!!!
Surimixin
playmore
TheMysteriousMe
I would say, that you shouldn't play the same song too many times if you are practicing, ofc its alright if you try to achieve something on the song, but otherwise on my end, I have noticed that I get worse at that song the more I play it, its always good with some variety.
Manishh
Quit
kujubuo

manishmathur wrote:

Quit
not really its just that you are demotivated
BadWallaby

KrazyFF wrote:

I am doing the same as the guy on top of me
hahaha I never saw this lol Love ya Krazy xD
Paecraft
im a midly-on-his-way-using-a-tablet-that-can-do-no-more-that-3-stars player and i am not very sure
sinsol

Paecraft wrote:

im a midly-on-his-way-using-a-tablet-that-can-do-no-more-that-3-stars player and i am not very sure
good luck!
_Namaki
saving this for later
autsuki
play more xD
[-Omni-]
have fun
itzAxtro999
is it wierd at 780k i can nearly fc 5* maps with bad acc?
Ymir
Pretty normal
Stomiks

itzAxtro999 wrote:

That was me when I used to play standard
Karmine

Stomiks wrote:

itzAxtro999 wrote:

Yesterday I saw a guy saying he could pass 6* maps but not 4*
That's what you get when you just get used to maps that are too hard for you
Stomiks

Karmine wrote:

Stomiks wrote:

itzAxtro999 wrote:

Yeah I played 5 stars but can't even get a B on most 3 stars

Never be a pass player
Ymir

Karmine wrote:

Stomiks wrote:

itzAxtro999 wrote:

I cant pass 1* without FL
I AM VERY SMART

[-Omni-] wrote:

have fun
More like "pls enjoy game" by rrtyui
Dustinstupid
You can't improve overnight magically. It doesn't work like that. I would say take breaks eventually to avoid burn out. Other than that all I can say is play more.
Stomiks
Yeah I think everyone knows that they can't become the next mrekk overnight. But still good advice for players who need a reality check.
I AM VERY SMART
even though this thread exists, there are still people who make threads on how to imrove at [skillset]... i guess this thread is kind of useless.

(sorry for the necro btw)
Hinel

Anaxii wrote:

even though this thread exists, there are still people who make threads on how to imrove at [skillset]... i guess this thread is kind of useless.

(sorry for the necro btw)
but this is 11 years old post, some stuff is outdated maybe

(now its not necro ig
David168Plays
I'm gonna try this out! I'm fairly new to the game and seeking improvement :D
cil
this guide is genuinely good wtf :O
krgyz
This is some good advice ngl
I AM VERY SMART
12 years later, this thread is still accurate!
Puppet
In the end you just gotta play more
Nebulazzz__
This is an amazing guide for beginners, or people who just genuinely want to get better. Helped me a lot with getting my accuracy up from 70%!!

A quick reminder for the newbies, don't rush into this headfirst! I did in 2019 and ended up withhhh carpal tunnel. Not cool right? Playing constantly with ZERO break/off-time is extremely negative, and has more cons than pros. Instead, make a habit of spending so much time a day/a week improving, and make it a point to stay hydrated and have snacks on hand. You got this!! 🫶🫶🫶