forum

Is mapping to pitch actually bad? (osu!standard)

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
NicNock
Back when I was just starting out mapping, I tended to map objects to pitch. (higher pitched notes are placed closer to the top of the playfield, etc.)

I unlearned this habit pretty quickly since it felt like it would be detrimental, but now I'm wondering if it's all that bad. Like, are there any ranked beatmaps that do this?
nominomu
its more of a gimmick than a regularly used concept, instead its more common to emphasise higher pitches using spacing/sv! also note that hard rock vertically flips the playfield lol
powerplayer75
idk about pitch necessarily, but i like to place to intensity. i dont think its bad, but it feels limiting a lot of the time and usually results in a pattern that is worse than if i had just not done it
McEndu
Probably more relevant in osu!mania, I use this concept quite a bit in my maps

But for std, probably not
Randomness64
i wouldnt say its bad,its actually cool but i would suggest placing to intensity of the song which can add a bit of spiciness and uniqueness to the map,but ofc that can depends from song to song.
[TCD] Dzar03
Pitch relavency (PR) is like a concept or a gimmick.
In osu!mania, PR is quite popular because you can use it to simulate playing a piano (left=low pitch, righ=high pitch)

Tho, I don't know how PR is used in std maps. I think it's also depend on music, like if it's a classic piano song, PR will work its magic. Otherwise, you will have to consider diverse your pattern to fit the map.

For conclusion, I would say if you think PR present the music and fit your mapping style well, just map as you believed in
xch00F

[TCD] Dzar03 wrote:

In osu!mania, PR is quite popular because you can use it to simulate playing a piano (left=low pitch, righ=high pitch)

Tho, I don't know how PR is used in std maps. I think it's also depend on music, like if it's a classic piano song, PR will work its magic. Otherwise, you will have to consider diverse your pattern to fit the map.

For conclusion, I would say if you think PR present the music and fit your mapping style well, just map as you believed in
pitch relevancy as a concept for key based rhythm gaming is pretty much a standard at this point precisely for that point about the simulating the piano. I think a good way to think of pitch relevancy is that when pitch is ascending, the chart as a whole moves from left to right, when pitch descends move right to left. doing it literally almost always forces awkward patterns and this holds true for all styles of music imo

there are a bunch of trills in this piece and due to the speed of it, one handed trills may not be the best option for the longer ones. for the sake of gameplay, a 2424 trill is just as pitch relevant as 3434.
the column a trill starts on could also imply pitch relevancy. 2424 and 4242 are physically the same pattern, but starting it on 2 could imply that the entire trill itself is representing a lower pitch as the same trill starting on 4.
once you start layering in jumps/hands/etc, you can run into forced jacks, tho these could be either a good thing or bad thing depending on the song and the intent of your map. if an edm track at 180 bpm has a prominent ascending synth melody that you want to represent with 16ths, repeating something like 1234 might make the most sense at first, but could get awkward once layering in other instruments. if it's an edm track at 130, however, jacks could be really cool.
ultimately I think you should take pitch relevancy into consideration in the abstract while focusing more on overall playability (or intent, but that's a different discussion)

edit: okay cool he uploaded this for a rly good example of the use of pitch relevancy in classical music play this
beatmapsets/773451#mania/1625864
[TCD] Dzar03

xch00F wrote:

[TCD] Dzar03 wrote:

pitch relevancy as a concept for key based rhythm gaming is pretty much a standard at this point precisely for that point about the simulating the piano. I think a good way to think of pitch relevancy is that when pitch is ascending, the chart as a whole moves from left to right, when pitch descends move right to left. doing it literally almost always forces awkward patterns and this holds true for all styles of music imo

there are a bunch of trills in this piece and due to the speed of it, one handed trills may not be the best option for the longer ones. for the sake of gameplay, a 2424 trill is just as pitch relevant as 3434.
the column a trill starts on could also imply pitch relevancy. 2424 and 4242 are physically the same pattern, but starting it on 2 could imply that the entire trill itself is representing a lower pitch as the same trill starting on 4.
once you start layering in jumps/hands/etc, you can run into forced jacks, tho these could be either a good thing or bad thing depending on the song and the intent of your map. if an edm track at 180 bpm has a prominent ascending synth melody that you want to represent with 16ths, repeating something like 1234 might make the most sense at first, but could get awkward once layering in other instruments. if it's an edm track at 130, however, jacks could be really cool.
ultimately I think you should take pitch relevancy into consideration in the abstract while focusing more on overall playability (or intent, but that's a different discussion)

edit: okay cool he uploaded this for a rly good example of the use of pitch relevancy in classical music play this
beatmapsets/773451#mania/1625864
I'm mostly want to confirm with thread stater that PR is nothing wrong to use, I can understand that PR also has its limit in layering, expression, gameplay and shouldn't follow it like a must. To use PR properly, mappper will need to flexibly use it, like finding a section that could be good and fit to use PR, not obeying it through the entire map. These could work for calm music parts, where you can use PR to make the note aren't look randomly placed
More example:
beatmapsets/2141394#mania/4507190
beatmapsets/2025583#mania/4220102