forum

[Archived] Random FPS Drops when I move cursor and in general when in a map.

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
DiploWatt
Problem details:
I started playing osu! again in March after a long time and everything was fine until mid April. I have a beast of a laptop with and RTX 3070 Ti, Ryzen 7 6800 and 16 GB of RAM. The game ran smoothly no problem at all, fps very stable at 930-960 with optimal setting on, when suddenly it started dropping from min 930 to below 900 to almost 790 fps. Even though this drop was very short in time it would increase my input latency and also make me lose acc or combo sometimes. Now the fps are nowhere near the 960 mark. What I have noticed is that I every time I move my cursor in game the fps drop from 960 to 880-910 and sometimes during maps it would do the sudden drop I mentioned which caused the stutter and input latency increase. I have tried updating my drivers, I have also read other forums about decreasing the polling rate of your mouse, but I play with a tablet and I also have my mouse (Logitech G Pro) disconnected cause I dont have enough usb ports for both of them, so that means I cant change the polling rate through its software. I have tried using a Custom setting for the fps but that didnt change a thing and I am left with no choice but to ask for your help fellow players. I love playing osu in my free time and I am also very determined to grind the game and having stutters that ruin your combo several times and make you miss FCs or great acc scores is very annoying. I try to play Multi lobbies and I get doodoo combos and acc cause of this.

Im on the latest Stable version of osu!. I have also tried playing on the experimental but nothing changed.\

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Have a nice day!
THAT_otaku
please have a read through: wiki/en/performance-troubleshooting and try anything related to your problem in there and let us know the result (i believe theres stuff in there you havent tried yet (hopefully)).

Try closing any unnecessary apps, especially discord.
Topic Starter
DiploWatt

THAT_otaku wrote:

please have a read through: wiki/en/performance-troubleshooting and try anything related to your problem in there and let us know the result (i believe theres stuff in there you havent tried yet (hopefully)).

Try closing any unnecessary apps, especially discord.
Unfortunately, I have tried every single thing mentioned in that page and even more on my own. Im not sure what else to check or change to fix this. I clean installed my GPU drivers uninstalled osu and reinstalled it, I disabled some windows things that are known to cause fps drops and stutters, I disabled Discord gpu hardware acceleration etc. The game seems to be running on a bit higher fps like around 900, but sometimes the game feels very sluggish and clanky and my cursor feels like its moving at 20 fps. I refresh the skin restart the pc and the game and it fixes it for some time but not totally! Anything else to suggest?

Thank you for your time!
THAT_otaku
Try playing with the default skin, does that make any difference?
How does your task manager look when things get more sluggish? Anything at high usage?
Since it seems to be when you use your mouse, do you have any other mouses you could test to see if it still happens?
Make sure frame limiter is on optimal or unlimited
Topic Starter
DiploWatt

THAT_otaku wrote:

Try playing with the default skin, does that make any difference?
How does your task manager look when things get more sluggish? Anything at high usage?
Since it seems to be when you use your mouse, do you have any other mouses you could test to see if it still happens?
Make sure frame limiter is on optimal or unlimited
So just to clear things up I play with a tablet. What I meant by saying I moved my mouse I meant the cursor in game by using the pen of my tablet. My task manager seems to be ok meaning that my cpu is at 10% at most usage my NVIDIA gpu spikes to 100% util(but doesnt use all the VRAM) meaning it uses all the power it has which I think its kinda weird considering Osu! is just a 2D game with circles and a black background (I have chosen background dim 100%) with disabled video etc etc. I did a clean install of my gpu drivers and the fps seem to be a bit more stable but I havent tested it that much yet. What I will do is reduce the mouse polling rate from 1k to 500 to see if they become even more stable. The limiter is set to optimal.
Death
What tablet are you using and what driver do you have installed (if you're using one not provided by the OEM)?
Topic Starter
DiploWatt

Death wrote:

What tablet are you using and what driver do you have installed (if you're using one not provided by the OEM)?
I am using the CTL-472 and I am using the OpenTabletDriver because I found it much more easy to setup some filters as well. My pen was very shaky without them even when I was not moving.