forum

Got my first osu!tablet today!!

posted
Total Posts
show more
Topic Starter
his everything

ainkeK wrote:

I recommend to make your area the same resolution of your monitor, it can be whatever size you want but make sure the dimensions are 1.7778.
Alright thx!

Aireunaeus wrote:

Ooh, congrats on getting your first tablet :D i don't have any suggestions though cuz I'm bad at telling advice
You can actually give me suggestions since you seem to be more experienced than me with the use of a tablet :)
ANGELF708

I AM VERY SMART wrote:

- What area are you currently using?
I personally use a Huion 420, which is small as fuck, so I use full screen. From my experience, too small you get hand cramps, but too big and you have to lift your whole arm and run a marathon or something... Again IDK I use a Huion 420.

I AM VERY SMART wrote:

- Is it good to drag or hover?
I personally play drag. Hover would drive me crazy, but if that's what you're into.
dung eater

Stomiks wrote:

-Remi wrote:

Play drag, do not learn hover.
But scratches :(
skill issue
Stomiks

dung eater wrote:

Stomiks wrote:

-Remi wrote:

skill issue
wealth issue
AccountWontWork
why do people care so much about scratches
MrSparklepants
2-3 days old, but...
Tablet area (Wacom ctl-4100), of course, I could make the dimensions the same as my screen, but I've been using this area for 5 years now so no need to change it up:

Old picture from when I was using devocub drivers, I have since switched to OpenTabletDriver as devocub is essentially dead.

Hovering and dragging is a preference I prefer to drag. After 5 years of almost daily use, my tablet does have cosmetic scratches, but it still works perfectly fine

You do not have to play full area, I know I immediately changed area the first day I got my tablet.

The Wacom One is very good for osu!
Topic Starter
his everything

AccountWontWork wrote:

It's because scratches are annoying, which is the reason why you should get a tablet cover.

MrSparklepants wrote:

Tablet area (Wacom ctl-4100),
I've heard that the Wacom Intuos is the best tablet for osu, with the Wacom One in second place!
AccountWontWork

I AM VERY SMART wrote:

AccountWontWork wrote:

It's because scratches are annoying, which is the reason why you should get a tablet cover.
in my case I just let it be, looks cool how you leave so many marks when playing.
Topic Starter
his everything

AccountWontWork wrote:

I AM VERY SMART wrote:

AccountWontWork wrote:

in my case I just let it be, looks cool how you leave so many marks when playing.
Hmmmmm yeah it's not wrong
Ymir

Stomiks wrote:

dung eater wrote:

Stomiks wrote:

-Remi wrote:

skill issue
wealth issue
Look, I played hover from day one. I don't have the dedication to learn how to drag, but it's definitely the easier playstyle if you were to start on it.
HR2
I'm getting the exact same tablet on Saturday I'm super excited
Topic Starter
his everything

Xykedelic wrote:

I'm getting the exact same tablet on Saturday I'm super excited
I'm super excited for you!!!

DM FOR MUTUAL
I use a wacom CTL472 as well, the one you use. Alongside the wacom CTH480, it's regarded as THE osu tablet, and it's the one nearly everyone recommends as the number 1 tablet. So yes, it's a good tablet.

I drag on a 110mm width forced aspect ratio area.

And here's my opinions on some of the stuff discussed in this thread (please bare with me while I hit the 🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓 blunt):

I AM VERY SMART wrote:

- Is it good to drag or hover?

luminar wrote:

Drag has the advantage of stability and control, but is slow if you use a big area. Hover is good for high areas, not so much for low areas.. I know badeu uses a low area hover though. Up to preference.

ainkeK wrote:

I recommend to make your area the same resolution of your monitor, it can be whatever size you want but make sure the dimensions are 1.7778.
In terms of playstyle, I really don't think it matters as much as people like to generally discuss it. Whatever's most comfortable for you is what's gonna work best for you. Yeah you are gonna find advantages and disadvantages with different playstyles and you're probably gonna end up changing your playstyle over time to something you find more advantageous, but that's more something you personally experiment with over time.

Specifically regarding the one about area resolution, it really doesn't matter unless it's horrendously distorted. Lots of people have an area that's stretched horizontally somewhat.

To illustrate how varied playstyles are:
This is probably outdated, but it does show that top players just do whatever they want for their playstyle.

On a sidenote, this guy's series on tablets is very good for beginners, it goes through a lot of tablet basics. Definitely don't take any of his videos (or anything we say in this thread) as gospel, I personally don't like how he tries to categorise everything and talks a lot about advantages and disadvantages that aren't proven in any way and probably don't matter. But, it gives you a lot of things to think about that you might not have thought about, 100% worth a watch.

One pretty big aspect that isn't covered in these videos is aiming mechanics. In fact I feel this gets completely overlooked in most discussions about playing with tablet, even though it's one of the main things that I've thought about while playing with tablet.
More on my thoughts on aiming mechanics
By aiming mechanics I specifically mean how you utilise each body part to move your cursor around. 2 polar opposite examples of this:
xootynator rests her hand on her tablet and mostly moves her arm around to aim. She then uses her fingers and wrist to exagerrate her cursor movements, especially if she wants to move it faster. You can see how she mostly keeps her hand still and just moves her arm around while flow aiming, while in the jump sections she still moves her arm to hit the notes, but her fingers and wrists get a lot more involved to make those faster movements.
On the other hand, mrekk has his hand off of the tablet, with his wrist firmly planted on the table. From there, he makes horizontal movements by pivoting his wrist, and vertical movements by moving his fingers up and down (note how his thumb doesn't move, it's just his index, middle and ring fingers). All other movements inbetween being horizontal and vertical are a mix between the two. There's probably some arm movement in there, but it's pretty minimal. Very simple yet efficient mechanics, if you try moving your hand like mrekk it's pretty crazy how fast you feel you can move around.

The mechanics you end up settling into might be similar to these players or completely different, but I think this stuff is good to keep in mind. Maybe you could also look at some other handcams to see how other players aim.

Another reason I bring this up is because in my opinion your aim mechanics is the primary thing that's gonna determine what area you use. If you aimed like mrekk then there's 0 chance you'd be able to hit anything on full area without some adjustments, and if you aimed like xootynator, anything smaller than full area would probably feel like performing surgery.

Another case study on aim mechanics because I couldn't stop myself writing about this (mrekk but full area)
Even though Rupertion uses full area, his aiming mechanics are actually the same style as mrekk's. Instead of pivoting his wrist, he pivots on his elbow for horizontal movement, and mostly uses his fingers for vertical movement (note how he moves his thumb this time). Yet, because he's holding the pen higher up and has his wrist off the ground, he has a greater range of vertical movement than mrekk. You can also see that he does move his arm back and forth for vertical movement as well, probably to just help exaggerate his vertical finger movements (which is what I do as well).

I'm not gonna go into how I aim in detail because I'd easily double the wordcount of my post lol.

Some other miscellaneous things:

I AM VERY SMART wrote:

My current grip is good but only for short maps (2 minutes or less) because my pen is slipping during gameplay and it's annoying.
Does your pen slip out of you hand, or does it slide down your fingers because you drag? I have experience with the latter so I could offer some advice:
- You could try is putting a grip on your pen. Try playing around with wrapping rubber bands around your pen or wrapping some other grippy substance. Most people use some sort of grip tape, eg: the stuff you wrap around badminton rackets. I wrapped my pen in cloth I cut out from an old t-shirt, and I've seen people wrap their pens in toilet paper lol.
- You could try holding your pen less vertically. If it's more sideways, it's harder to push your pen up your fingers.
- You could try pressing down less harder, or just full on hovering.

AccountWontWork wrote:

If you drag enough, you're gonna wear down the surface of the tablet to the point that it feels different. From my experience with wacom tablets, it goes from feeling like really nice, smooth paper to slippery and hard to control. This usually isn't a problem as you can get used to the different feeling, but it can be a problem. I've personally had trouble with aiming because of how slippery the tablet surface was, and used to shuffle my area around the tablet (it used to be smaller) so I could play on less worn down areas. You can use tablet covers to combat this, either diy like sticking a post-it note or a screen protector on your tablet or whatever, or buying/making a proper one. I got a matte one from Foxbox to try and solve this problem, but it still got slippery after a while lol.

-Remi wrote:

Look, I played hover from day one. I don't have the dedication to learn how to drag, but it's definitely the easier playstyle if you were to start on it.
I played hover from day 1 as well. I didn't really make a conscious switch to drag, I just noticed that my pen tended to sit on the surface of the tablet after I played for an hour straight or so, and I found my aim felt easier to control when that happened. I eventually just started rolling with it and became a drag player.

One last random tip: Try playing with your tablet tilted, especially if you tilt your paper when you write. It might be more comfortable to have it on a bit of an angle, or it might not be.

Damn it feels good to go back to writing essays on G&R
AccountWontWork

yoony1 wrote:

AccountWontWork wrote:

If you drag enough, you're gonna wear down the surface of the tablet to the point that it feels different. From my experience with wacom tablets, it goes from feeling like really nice, smooth paper to slippery and hard to control. This usually isn't a problem as you can get used to the different feeling, but it can be a problem. I've personally had trouble with aiming because of how slippery the tablet surface was, and used to shuffle my area around the tablet (it used to be smaller) so I could play on less worn down areas. You can use tablet covers to combat this, either diy like sticking a post-it note or a screen protector on your tablet or whatever, or buying/making a proper one. I got a matte one from Foxbox to try and solve this problem, but it still got slippery after a while lol.
oh I see, I use a decently big area so the slippery surface actually helps me out quite a lot, I tried using a tablet cover once but it just made my aim incredibly bad because of all the friction
her everything

I AM VERY SMART wrote:

Aireunaeus wrote:

Ooh, congrats on getting your first tablet :D i don't have any suggestions though cuz I'm bad at telling advice
You can actually give me suggestions since you seem to be more experienced than me with the use of a tablet :)
hmm, try experimenting with your tablet area. for example, I use full area but with high sensitivity, and I like it. make sure your area is comfortable. not just copying others like people or top players with small area. it's always your preference. No one can force you to change it.
ShiroHanaSaki
I always use full area and drag.(It is very excited when meet jump,that also cause me could only play jump but not scream)
Ymir

yoony1 wrote:

One last random tip: Try playing with your tablet tilted, especially if you tilt your paper when you write. It might be more comfortable to have it on a bit of an angle, or it might not be.
Wish that were me, dragging is a concious decision because of my funky af grip.

yoony1 wrote:

Damn it feels good to go back to writing essays on G&R
Definitely a better feeling than the autism inducing pace of OT, whalecum back.
Djemovampire
if you drag just get a cover asap before you have to start moving your area around to avoid craters. or just dont use extreme force like a robot but i found it hard to avoid when tense
Topic Starter
his everything
I see now! Thank you so much for your advices guys, y'all are great :D
Fat Fish Pete
bought mine a few months ago for around 60 usd wacom intuos and never used cuz i got lazy

drag is pretty good if you use high sens and have shaky hands/ also good for streams and i think good for stam

hover is pretty good for low sens and if you have nerves of steel/ also good for jumps and mechanical skills? (aim)

but whatever feels good for you is best
Anaxii 3
I'm sorry for very late response

yeah so I've been using tablet for over 6 months (since October 27, 2022). I also used CTL-472 so there is nothing wrong. Also I'm a drag player having 98mm x 78mm of area. But yeah, I used tablet because it gave me a swift feeling of aiming and more precise aim as well (with mouse I have worse cursor control because that's not a gaming mouse), but still respect mouse players, because of players like ninerik, NyanPotato, Chicony, etc.

I feel discouraged for playing std and playing other modes instead when I don't have tablet at the time, because my mouse is shit for playing games like osu. It costs around Rp700k in my country.