Always, cuz' it saves time and money
22.95%
No, but I always play games on emulators
22.95%
Sometimes, just to test the game
27.87%
No, I seldom play games but I still buy pirated ones
4.92%
NEVER.I support the game companies and everyone should.
21.31%
Total votes: 61
Topic Starter
Haseo_old
Title says all.

Personally, I do not buy pirated games but I use emulators.Period.
Rantai
Where's my "No, but I don't care if someone does" option?

I guess I emulate too, but what I emulate I've already owned before (my old stuff got stolen D:)
Mianki
I pretty much buy all games from legal stores, but sometimes/rarely I download them illegaly to test them.
Few years ago I emulated SNES and GBA games but haven't done that in awhile :P
adam2046
Why would you buy a pirated game?
This poll is confusing.
Firo Prochainezo
What's the point in buying pirated games? Please fix it.
Rantai
I was thinking he was referring to items found in the shady markets etc that you can find in some back alley. (Otherwise I'm with you two >.<)
Gabi
IMO the poll title should be "Do you Pirate your own games" rather than do you buy pirated games because buying pirated games is stupid.
heintsi
Hmm. I have bought 1 or 2 pirated games.
Once back in time while i was in elementary school and broadband internet wasn't your everyday thing, our school held a flea market. Two baddies from our school had put in sale "Ultimate tapan kaikki"(finnish popular indie game which wasnt free back then) in 5-10 filthy diskettes and a selection of few other quality games like slicks, lemmings, volcano, chopper and even the first command and conquer game copied in huge pile of diskettes lol. To attract ppl they even drew some cover art on the labels of the diskettes: slicks had some sideways car on it and cat-sized letters Slicks and some flames, and C&C game had stick figures with helmets firing themselves with bazookas or something :D

Among the lot of ppl who bought from them, I was fooled too, and bought Ultimate tapan kaikki and volcano which had of course a cool volcano drawn in it and a red firefighter so i just had to buy them. Volcano had a virus in it which completely messed my 166 mhz pentium and that's when i learnt to be careful when pirating games and especially buying.

More on the topic, i do just like mianki, if i don't know if the game is good i just test them for a day or so and then decide if to buy the game or not.

I do "pirate" all doujin games though because chances to get a real copy is so low.
And i use emulators too.
Xgor
The only thing that counts that I have pirated is old NES/SNES (Sometimes GBA and N64 too, oh and touhou but that's not a rom :P) Roms that I used for three reasons depending on the game.
1. ROM hacking like Super mario world hacking and so on, I usually had the game I hacked but I can't hack the cartridge so yeah...
2. Test games if I want to buy them for Virtual Console/new port.
3.Playing games that would need big problem to get/and or (Exporting from USA/Exporting and understand Japanese games)

Otherwise I try to stay legal.

Option 3 is the closest to what I do.
Vext_old
What? People pay for games? Fascinating.
Azure_Kite
Generally, I'm a fan of the whole 'Try before you Buy' argument. If I find a game to be worth my time, I will go out of my way to find a hard-copy (Generally Disregarding Doujinshi, but I have Umineko no Naku Koro ni 1-4 to show for it).

This would also explain why a lot of my DS / PSP titles are imports, as a lot of decent games aren't sold in Australian stores.

So, do I pirate games? Yeah. I guess I do.

Do the developers/distributors lose out in the end? I don't think so, not really. Unless they make a really dodgy title I don't like, they'll get their money in the end.
Shiirn
Seeing as my laptop might not be able to play certain games, I always, always pirate before buying. If it works and I like it enough, I will buy it; but if it doesn't work it goes straight in the recycle bin.

Recently i've been pirating more but playing less, but ah well.
Xanek

adam2046 wrote:

Why would you buy a pirated game?
This poll is confusing.

Firo Prochainezo wrote:

What's the point in buying pirated games? Please fix it.
Nekoroll
Sometimes: I pirate but not so much to test as to see if the game is worth the money to buy later on (when they're not $50-60 lol).

Sadly, there haven't been many games recently that I like enough to actually consider buying. The percentage of other entertainment (music/movies) is substantially less but then again, who buys movies anymore aside from things like Netflix/Redbox?
awp
buy pirated games?

Isn't that kind of retarded?

Nekoroll wrote:

who buys movies anymore aside from things like Netflix/Redbox?
I know I do. Blu rays are more expensive to steal than to buy
Topic Starter
Haseo_old
It all depends on where you are in the world. Here in the Philippines, there is no such thing as GameStop. Games like Portal 2 cost like 1 365.25 php, and you can buy a lot of stuff with that. I saw a pirated Final Fantasy 13 disc for X360, and it cost about 50 to 120 php or about $1.

I'm not talking about those pirated Final Fantasy games made in China. I'm talking about games that are illegally copied to another disc.

Question fixed.
Rena-chan
I try to avoid pirating games, but there are some cases where I'll do it.

These are cases like...
1. If a game is really old and near impossible for me to find without importing or pirating it.
2. It's an arcade version of a game that isn't released for any console that I own. See: Beatmania IIDX17
3. I'm not sure if the game is worth my money, so I want to try it before buying.

So yes, I do pirate games. Through the internet, because fuck me sideways if I'm going to give a person money for pirating things for me. That just makes things worse than pirating it yourself.

I'm neither for nor against piracy, but I am against people trying to justify piracy, and I'll lash out at them for doing so.
Why ? Piracy is wrong, and it will always be wrong. I'm sure you don't want your work to be stolen and used by someone else without your consent either.

This is why I try to avoid piracy as much as I can.
There are exceptions to everything, and when the only way to get a game legally is by importing it, I'll only do that if I really want the game in question, such as the DJMax games, because of Denmark's retardedly high import taxes.

Say, if a game costs 50 USD by default, and it gets 30 USD laid on top of that due to shipping, the game is already quite expensive.
For important anything from outside the borders of Europe, Denmark puts 60% of the price on top of the total price as import tax - so the game will have cost me 128USD in total, and this is why I often pirate games if the only other option is importing them.
This doesn't justify it, but I'm not innocent or a saint either, so oh well.
adam2046
My brother bought a disc that contained (a probably out of date) MAME and most of the (probably out of date) ROMs at the time. This was back when we had dial up (not that long ago ;~;). It was probably something like 30-50 bucks.
This seemed double wrong though, because not only are you buying a bunch of illegal ROMs, you're also buying a copy of MAME which was against their terms of use last time I checked.
Didn't stop me playing the hell out of Street Fighter 3rd Strike and a hundred other games.
ziin
Do you buy illegally copied games?
No
Do you buy legally copied games?
No

Seriously? The only options on the poll are to spend money?
TKiller
hello, I live in Russia
Vext_old

TKiller wrote:

hello, I live in Russia
Obligatory

In Soviet Russia, games pirate you!
Two_old
It's not stealing if the "victim" loses nothing and you weren't going to buy it anyway.
Pizzicato
Console games - All pirated
PC games - All legal
Firo Prochainezo
I still do not understand why people buy "illegal games" when you can just download them for free. We have Internet for a reason, guys.

But anyway, I am in the guilt of pirating games. I don't have so much money on me so every time I want to buy a videogame that seems good, I need to wait for my Birthday or Christmas and of course I don't have a lot of patience for that. So half of my PC's games are pirated, but for a... good reason. I hope. All my DS's cartridges are legal, since I have not learned how to modify it yet, but DS's games are not that expensive so I might as well keep buying them.
show more