forum

Do admins even care about multi accounts anymore?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Waryas
Not sure if this is the right forum to post this but here we go:

I often see random persons popping up out of nowhere and doing crazy records that only a few elite can do and seriously it's getting annoying to see top50 with only 25 real persons and the others being multi accs.

I've heard about some japanese people having more than 10 accounts, some chinese to have at least 2-3 account in top200, etc.

So why isn't there an automated feature implemented to detect potential multi accounters (make it trigger if the person has a high rank account) that way we can have a more fair scoreboard?

Why the f*** do people multi account? What's the point?
I know I sound mad/angry/jelly or whatever but this has to be said,it seems like some people are favoured by admins and are let to multi account without being punished even though admins know about it.

P.S. : I'm not blaming EVERY japanese or chinese people to multi account but was just saying what i noticed, please don't say i'm racist ;_;
Lunah_old
Japanese people can have multiaccounts as i see, they are immune to rules D:
Claudia_old
The only time i've ever seen an mod/OP do something about a multi was when a person was given a 12-hour kill and was ban-dodging, and all they did was delete the second account and didn't even tack on additional ban time for the evasion. [Which, personally, I would've done].

A loooong time ago, they used to actually delete the multiaccounts. And then, there are people who everybody suspects/basically knows they're a multi/have a multi, and jack shit hasn't been done about it. Oh well.
Weez
Every game has it's cheaters. The more popular osu! grows the more cheaters appear. They will always be there :T just deal with em
Lunah_old

Weezy wrote:

Every game has it's cheaters. The more popular osu! grows the more cheaters appear. They will always be there :T just deal with em

peppy
You are all being a bit immature here. Multi-accounting is not "cheating". That said, there is already an automated system in place to detect these accounts, but there is no simple way of taking action. If I was to ban all multis today, I would receive thousands of emails in 10s of langauges that I don't speak. Following them up would result in reasons like "they are my sibling" (which may or may not be true), "I can't read english so didn't know the rule" (which I can't argue) etc.

How about you think a bit from both sides of the argument before posting?

Bottom line: I do care but I am still figuring the best way to handle the situation. For the time being multi accounting is frowned upon (and strictly checked and forbidden in tournaments etc.) but not banned.
Topic Starter
Waryas
It's good to know works are being done
Here's a suggestion :
Can't you make the automated feature trigger in specific way? As if both (or more accounts) have a top50 score on the same song, make it ring an alarm bell or something.
Krisom

peppy wrote:

"I can't read english so didn't know the rule" (which I can't argue) etc.
You could ask a team of people to help you translate the rules so that you don't have this kind of problems. I'm sure more than one would be willing to help (I'd help with the spanish one but I'm busy as hell with uni now XD)
Kitsunemimi

JesusYamato wrote:

It's good to know works are being done
Here's a suggestion :
Can't you make the automated feature trigger in specific way? As if both (or more accounts) have a top50 score on the same song, make it ring an alarm bell or something.
A pair of siblings could both be really skilled at osu! and love a certain song and trigger the alarm. Or a bunch of classmates who all like Taiko/CtB could be interested in this one song and 5 of them end up getting a top50 score at school. And believe me, it happens a lot. It might actually happen so frequently that the alarm bell system is no good.

E-Hooker wrote:

A loooong time ago, they used to actually delete the multiaccounts. And then, there are people who everybody suspects/basically knows they're a multi/have a multi, and jack shit hasn't been done about it. Oh well.
Also, I do see the occasional conversation on #osu between BATs about who's multiaccounting, and they usually do something about it. Usually it's Sinistro, and he's generally on during school hours, so that might be why you don't see anybody doing anything about it.
peppy

Krisom wrote:

You could ask a team of people to help you translate the rules so that you don't have this kind of problems. I'm sure more than one would be willing to help (I'd help with the spanish one but I'm busy as hell with uni now XD)
If you wish to take the initative and see this happen, please do so. I'd recommend starting a thread in general development and contacting people from each language to do the translate. If each translation is placed in the thread I will implement it on the site.

JesusYamato wrote:

And do what? The problem is that banning is not a possibility currently due to the overhead it requires.
Topic Starter
Waryas
I'm not asking for a ban but only "investigate/warn" those players. If you filter it this way i'm sure there are going to be less people to investigate.
peppy
Are you nominating yourself for contacting people in every language every day on my behalf? I estimate you would be sending around 50-100 emails a day, and then dealing with the further replies from these. Expect to set aside around 30 minutes initially but 1-2 hours after the first week.

You would also need to handle forum outcry and backlash.

There is no point targetting only those multis that have many high scores. I'd call that discrimination.
KRZY

Krisom wrote:

peppy wrote:

"I can't read english so didn't know the rule" (which I can't argue) etc.

Oh God this reminds me, I must translate the FAQ ;_;

But uh, direct me to this "rule" page and I can translate it in Korean before this week ends. Korea is one of the more frequently-multiaccounting countries, so I think it will be helpful :D
peppy

KRZY wrote:

But uh, direct me to this "rule" page and I can translate it in Korean before this week ends. Korea is one of the more frequently-multiaccounting countries, so I think it will be helpful :D
ucp.php?mode=register

Starrodkirby86

KRZY wrote:

USER AGREEMENT
You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate any laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned, with notification of your Internet Service Provider if deemed required by us. The IP address of all posts are recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions.

You agree to the Terms of Service.

You agree that this is your first registered account.

You agree that you will not use your account for any malicious purposes, including abuse against other players or the game itself.
Without all the pretty formatting, but it'll do, right? :P
Krisom

peppy wrote:

If you wish to take the initative and see this happen, please do so. I'd recommend starting a thread in general development and contacting people from each language to do the translate. If each translation is placed in the thread I will implement it on the site.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=53634 Done, will be contacting people during the week. if anyone intrested can do it right now, please follow the link
jockeytiyan
I have one problem: Filipinos are pretty much well-versed in English (as some people would know) but they still fail to "read the rules" properly and I've already caught 4 people who blurted out that they made 2nd accounts.

What should we (or at least, I) do with this...?
peppy
Recommend they don't; make the rule known. Beyond that, there is nothing you need to do.
jockeytiyan

peppy wrote:

Recommend they don't; make the rule known. Beyond that, there is nothing you need to do.
Can I at least inform someone about them for future reference? D:
peppy
No, there is no need. We can already see every multi-accounter.
jockeytiyan
Ok. Thanks I guess.
Shael_old
I always report those kind of accounts, no clue if someone cares about it
Ussuru
I am using my friend's laptop to play Osu!, do my homework and some other private stuff. Sometimes I play on his account because it's a hassle to relogin every time, are we cheaters, should we get banned? You really should think yourself, how the hell can you know that I am saying the truth? Maybe I am lying maybe not, maybe I am just another multiaccount. Do you want proof? A photo of me and him? Sorry, it is not appropriate to ask for private info, you know. This topic was dead long before it sarted.
Mismagius
http://osu.ppy.sh/u/811957

Things like this make me cry.

Or LunaticSHIKI.
Shiirn

Ussuru wrote:

Idiocy goes here
You're making no sense.
Shael_old
Lunah_old
Avedas

Blue Dragon wrote:

http://osu.ppy.sh/u/811957

Things like this make me cry.
MP'd with this guy. Thought it was a little ridiculous.
Ikillforpies
http://osu.ppy.sh/u/1PC

What the hell >.<
Why do people do this? Its so annoying!
aevv_old

Ikillforpies wrote:

3 plays - Hatsune Miku - Kimi ni Uso [Kana]
=/
Avedas

aevv wrote:

Ikillforpies wrote:

3 plays - Hatsune Miku - Kimi ni Uso [Kana]
=/
The 1 play of every other song is bad enough too
aevv_old

Avedas wrote:

The 1 play of every other song is bad enough too
guy just turns off his internet while playing, turns it on on score upload, HHKD does this for standard http://osu.ppy.sh/u/hhkd
Ijah_old
Obvious multi-account is obvious http://osu.ppy.sh/u/AdaunanJP
Neruell

peppy wrote:

I would receive thousands of emails in 10s of langauges that I don't speak. Following them up would result in reasons like "they are my sibling" (which may or may not be true), "I can't read english so didn't know the rule" (which I can't argue) etc.

How about you think a bit from both sides of the argument before posting?

Bottom line: I do care but I am still figuring the best way to handle the situation. For the time being multi accounting is frowned upon (and strictly checked and forbidden in tournaments etc.) but not banned.

Basicly at least as far as I understand, every person registered in osu must know english, at least there is no other way a person can register ( even press the right button). Of course there are people who don't know english but no one should really care about that, since in a way they can't agree with the rules, or basicly we could ban them and say "that is said in the rules" and no one could do anything against it since they won't simple understand anything. As long as it is written in english, only people who can understand english can register in osu. I can't just travel to an other country and kill people and say that I didn't understand the rules in their language. A small reminder like "english only, rest ignored" would solve the main problem. (that's at least what I think would be right, if no one would have a wish to deal with multilanguage problem)

(that would be a tough and a rude way, but it would be fair, unless someone really wants to take all the stress of translating everything and be able to respond to everyone in every language)

A major problem here is, it's a free game so banning people or doing any kind of "anti-cheat/multi/w.e" would be just a waste of time and "no one" really cares of the hackers/cheaters/multiacs anyway unless it gets pretty annoying or way too obvious.

+

Every game has it's "cheaters". The more popular osu! grows the more "cheaters" appear. They will always be there :T just deal with em
this concerns not only multiaccs

http://osu.ppy.sh/u/AdaunanJP <= multi? maybe... cheats? yes, obvious
SilentWings_old
Man that adaunan guy does some crazy shit. The original adaunan was good but no where as good as adaunanJP
Fabi
Its incredible how far some of them can go, some people just create an account to rate beatmaps with "1" just because they dont like it or doesn't like the guy who created the beatmap.
Ayeen_old
I do see why multi accounts is not very welcome here.

Level 81 with 15k plays and still 9k+ rank, while the multi accounts with lesser plays can go rank higher. Oh, I suck at Osu anyways ~.~ at least those were legit.

dNextGen
so... what are we going to do in this thread
dvorak_old
so no need to keep 3rd This score looks thread, locked.