forum

[Chat] Small description when entering a channel

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +13
Topic Starter
Sushi
Hey there,

I was thinking about that when I saw people entering #modhelp and still dropping some requests. I think that would be cool and would make things clear, when joining a channel, there could be a very small description describing the channel.

"You've joined #osu, the place for general discussion ! English only !"

or like "You've joined #modhelp, where you can ask tips for modding and mapping !"

For first time joiners, that would be helpful, I think.
RobotoRaccoon
Oh wow, Never thought of that, but it would be extremely useful! Especially with people saying "OMG OMG PLAY MY MAP PLEEEASE" in modhelp...
Serval
I support this :!:
Mutsui
I'm in B)
Cyclohexane
Sushi told me to promote or else he'd silence me so here goes

No, really it'd be good to have. Especially with the newly born #rajio, and the tournaments in place, right now #twc for example.
So yeah +support
Omega
Not sure, I can imagine how annoying that would be to some people.
Topic Starter
Sushi
That's why I'm stating a very short description. I'm pretty sure that wouldn't annoy people if it is like the message "Joined #osu !" or w/e channel
Omega
Yeah, well, then again, if they have OCD or something, it's their own problem.
Kurai
+support, even if I have no star available
Copter-kun
yea i agree :3 there is too much ppl spammin in diff language :/
Mara
That should be really easy to do. Just show up channel topic and that's it.

Supporting without stars.
dvorak_old
This is good idea, but user who don't have stable connection will get mass topic/motd messages.
If there is good implementation for this, channel-motd works well.

or exclude #osu is one way.

am lazy to check logs but there was no request before?
Topic Starter
Sushi
I searched through the previous requests and I didn't find something about it (or it was really explained differently).
RhaiizoN
Never thought that before! Im glad someone request this suggestion. Reminder this since i was played MMORPG's game server before :3

I will support this~
blissfulyoshi
A nice idea. I think it would be productive if someone types up the descriptions for the channels now so that it would be easy for a person to implement them.
Jarby

blissfulyoshi wrote:

A nice idea. I think it would be productive if someone types up the descriptions for the channels now so that it would be easy for a person to implement them.
Sushi already outlined the only two channels that matter (though I wouldn't have used such direct language on the second sentence as it doesn't fit with the style of osu!, I guess) and the others are just a matter of translating the description for #osu. We should be able to round up a few people to take care of that pretty easily after this feature's been given the green light, but I think it's too bothersome to consider asking so many people for a request that possibly won't be followed right now. Let's wait.
VeilStar
After 4 long, long years... Our fight is not over yet.
*insert poetic stuff here*

Anyway, I currently don't have any stars, but I do support.
(Came here from: t/328165
Pawsu
backing my idea up, I think that it would be good for #lobby also. it automatically connects when you go into multiplayer and many people, everyday, think that #lobby is their #multiplayer. I think a good sidenote would be great.
Drafura
Also adding usefull links related to the channel would be good (like rules etc...)
Yauxo
Well, we already have these small descriptions when looking for a channel

If the description should be >very short< then we already have one ^.
If it'd allow for some more info (maybe links), then I'd be all for it.
drum drum

Yauxo wrote:

Well, we already have these small descriptions when looking for a channel

If the description should be >very short< then we already have one ^.
If it'd allow for some more info (maybe links), then I'd be all for it.
Have you seen the message you get when joining #osu? Its exactly like that, not channel descriptions
Yauxo

drum drum wrote:

Have you seen the message you get when joining #osu? Its exactly like that, not channel descriptions
Yea, if it's like that them Im all fine with that. Just in case the idea was about adding "This is the english community channel. English only" or similar to the chatrooms, because that'd be done by the channel descriptions.

Edit: Now I remember why I posted that, since these two things are basically the same.

Sushi wrote:

I think that would be cool and would make things clear, when joining a channel, there could be a very small description describing the channel.

"You've joined #osu, the place for general discussion ! English only !"

If it was a message like in the actual #osu, then I like that idea
Oinari-sama
Being able to insert links to localised short guides will be quite useful.
hiandbye
I've been thinking about this aswell.
I'd especially welcome a topic/message of the day for multiplayer rooms, one the host can create and that would be displayed either permanently to the right side of the chat or once when entering the room.

This would be useful for explaining the topic of a room or the rules for host rotation, or whatever else the host wants joining players to know.
Should I make an own post about this?
show more