forum

How long must you map to be considered an "experienced mapper"

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
startone
I see people asking for gd's only from experienced mappers, and i dont know if i consider myself one or not, because i have been mapping for about 7 months now. but is that long enough??
lewski
It can mean different things depending on the speaker, usually somewhere between "someone who can make something easily rankable" and "someone who has actually gotten their name out there". In the context of guest diffs, it most likely means the former, since the mapper just wants a guest diff that won't make their set harder to rank.

Time since someone started mapping isn't a great metric for experience, but mapping works the same way as any other skill: it takes years to get good at it. Reaching rankable quality doesn't take as long: for some, it may take two years; for others, a year. People do also get there in seven months, so it's possible that you might be experienced enough to be called experienced in someone's eyes, although your uncertainty makes me think you probably aren't there yet.
DeletedUser_13957006
being an experienced mapper is being able to easily apply logic to your maps in accordance to music. those mappers know how to use spacing, how patterns connect to music visually and through movement, etc. using the song they have chosen as their starting point.

however, if you wanted to know whether YOU specifically is an experienced mapper, well... no, you're not an experienced mapper. looking at your pending maps, they are well below average. spacing emphasis is next to non-existant, patterns are visually unappealing, the playability is not good either. even the hitsounds and new combo usage seems to be done wrong. it is common for new mappers' maps to not be good, everyone starts somewhere. mapping is about gaining experience and mapping more. considering different options, concepts and ideologies is a crucial point for someone just starting on mapping. you can improve, if you really want. i, myself, started mapping since the day i downloaded osu, and it took me around 2 years to make something that i enjoy that is rankable. you just gotta map more. (also i hope i wasn't too harsh as that was not my intention, i just want you to keep going for improvement and that is all)

hope this clears things up
Topic Starter
startone

Aiq wrote:

being an experienced mapper is being able to easily apply logic to your maps in accordance to music. those mappers know how to use spacing, how patterns connect to music visually and through movement, etc. using the song they have chosen as their starting point.

however, if you wanted to know whether YOU specifically is an experienced mapper, well... no, you're not an experienced mapper. looking at your pending maps, they are well below average. spacing emphasis is next to non-existant, patterns are visually unappealing, the playability is not good either. even the hitsounds and new combo usage seems to be done wrong. it is common for new mappers' maps to not be good, everyone starts somewhere. mapping is about gaining experience and mapping more. considering different options, concepts and ideologies is a crucial point for someone just starting on mapping. you can improve, if you really want. i, myself, started mapping since the day i downloaded osu, and it took me around 2 years to make something that i enjoy that is rankable. you just gotta map more. (also i hope i wasn't too harsh as that was not my intention, i just want you to keep going for improvement and that is all)

hope this clears things up
bro why dont you have any beatmaps monkaW
THAT_otaku
Aiq is a regular in mapping forum, he knows what he talking bout :P curious bout that too tho lol
DeletedUser_13957006

Pentacoilz wrote:

bro why dont you have any beatmaps monkaW

most of the maps were just me experimenting, such as making the hardest maps with lowest star-ratings, breaking the pp system or just me mapping ctb, nothing special
Asphiee
aiq is MD's timing slave
Sophie Twilight

Asphiee wrote:

aiq is MD's timing slave
Timing god*
Topic Starter
startone
i see now, im just bad at this game......
Zelzatter Zero

Pentacoilz wrote:

playing skill =/= mapping skill

Sure playing can get you the hang of the order the mappers had put into the map so you can replicate, but lots of advanced skills can be achieved more through mapping than just playing, such as streams ordering, pattern choice, and so on.

The best time to start mapping is now. Don't hesitate.
Topic Starter
startone

Zelzatter Zero wrote:

Pentacoilz wrote:

playing skill =/= mapping skill

Sure playing can get you the hang of the order the mappers had put into the map so you can replicate, but lots of advanced skills can be achieved more through mapping than just playing, such as streams ordering, pattern choice, and so on.

The best time to start mapping is now. Don't hesitate.
i meant bad at mappin.
7ambda
please add hs on your padoru set
KumiDaiko

J_8579 wrote:

bruh this is funny
Topic Starter
startone

J_8579 wrote:

bro im not ranking that.
and plus, im not good at hs.
look at this
beatmapsets/1451112#osu/2990007
Nao Tomori
imo experienced mapper means consistently able to make rankable sets or diffs, so like ~5 ranked maps
Topic Starter
startone

Nao Tomori wrote:

imo experienced mapper means consistently able to make rankable sets or diffs, so like ~5 ranked maps
well i see people calling themselves "experienced" but they registered like yesterday and have 20 graveyard maps
Nao Tomori
sure but for the purpose of making rankable diffs, only someone with several ranked diffs could possibly be considered experienced...
Topic Starter
startone
what if the maps you have submitted are bad but you have lots of unsubmitted maps that are good(not saying mine are.. but they are better than my others.) and people only know you for your bad submitted maps
Chiru-kun

Pentacoilz wrote:

what if the maps you have submitted are bad but you have lots of unsubmitted maps that are good(not saying mine are.. but they are better than my others.)
IMO no such person would exist, and would submit most of their maps which they consider good.

I know there are unranked mappers, good ones at that. But literally clicking the upload button takes no time and hurts no one; if people don't actively find it, it won't be found. Even for unranked mappers.

Pentacoilz wrote:

and people only know you for your bad submitted maps
Everyone submits terrible maps at first. You will always be known as a "terrible mapper" until you actually post a good map and someone recognizes that.

Anyway, making good maps comes first. Putting yourself out there, giving yourself the "experienced" identity comes second. That doesn't necessarily mean ranking, but it means you can be proud that you can make maps of good quality. Both parts are equally important if you want to make GDs.
Quozmox

Pentacoilz wrote:

I see people asking for gd's only from experienced mappers, and i dont know if i consider myself one or not, because i have been mapping for about 7 months now. but is that long enough??
Not really a matter about how long you've been mapping but how much you've been mapping. 10+ maps and I'd consider a mapper decent and 20+ is experienced. By the time you hit 20 maps, you should have a pretty good grasp of how to map and be trying to go for ranked maps. That's my opinion though. You can go at your own pace.
Chiru-kun

Quozmox wrote:

Pentacoilz wrote:

Not really a matter about how long you've been mapping but how much you've been mapping. 10+ maps and I'd consider a mapper decent and 20+ is experienced. By the time you hit 20 maps, you should have a pretty good grasp of how to map and be trying to go for ranked maps. That's my opinion though. You can go at your own pace.
Would "complete maps" be a better metric?
Sophie Twilight

renzthegreat wrote:

Quozmox wrote:

Pentacoilz wrote:

Would "complete maps" be a better metric?
or "criteria-abiding maps"
DeletedUser_13957006
i personally think there is no way to "create a formula" that classifies mappers as experienced or not. counting "rankable" or "criteria-abiding" maps is not really reliable because there are many graveyard mappers that just experiment with the game that have few or 0 ranked maps, but are definitely experienced (Akali and Silverboxer being great examples)

counting submitted / completed maps is not reliable either. people can just decide not to submit their maps or delete their maps at any time given it's on graveyard. even if every person submitted every map they made from the start of their career, it still wouldn't be accurate given people improve at different rates: somebody could make a rankable map after 10 submitted maps, while some others would still be struggling with fundamentals even after 50 submitted maps. trying to automate everybody under a system is impossible in circumstances like this.

counting someone's ranked maps is perhaps the most accurate way to tell if someone is experienced or not, but it's not even close to good enough, considering some people simply don't want to / can't rank maps. ranked mapper = good mapper, but good mapper =/= ranked mapper.

tl;dr it's a case by case scenario
Asphiee

Aiq wrote:

i personally think there is no way to "create a formula" that classifies mappers as experienced or not. counting "rankable" or "criteria-abiding" maps is not really reliable because there are many graveyard mappers that just experiment with the game that have few or 0 ranked maps, but are definitely experienced (Akali and Silverboxer being great examples)

counting submitted / completed maps is not reliable either. people can just decide not to submit their maps or delete their maps at any time given it's on graveyard. even if every person submitted every map they made from the start of their career, it still wouldn't be accurate given people improve at different rates: somebody could make a rankable map after 10 submitted maps, while some others would still be struggling with fundamentals even after 50 submitted maps. trying to automate everybody under a system is impossible in circumstances like this.

counting someone's ranked maps is perhaps the most accurate way to tell if someone is experienced or not, but it's not even close to good enough, considering some people simply don't want to / can't rank maps. ranked mapper = good mapper, but good mapper =/= ranked mapper.

tl;dr it's a case by case scenario
Aiq is absolute, no sarcasm involved.

Pentacoilz wrote:

Nao Tomori wrote:

well i see people calling themselves "experienced" but they registered like yesterday and have 20 graveyard maps
this is so specific that i cant help thinking its me, dont worry, i consider myself as lazy unmotivated mapper that wants to rank every set in hybrid