forum

Poll 10: Do you delete map elements?

posted
Total Posts

Do you delete map elements?

I delete everything on _every_ map (SB/Background/Skin).
11.44%
I delete elements on a regular basis.
10.70%
I delete elements only when they severely interfere with playing.
47.97%
I play the maps as they were made.
29.89%
Total votes: 271
Polling ended
show more
Mianki
I delete SBs if they cause lag. I rarely delete custom skins or backgrounds.
Examples which SBs I've deleted:
http://osu.ppy.sh/s/17912
http://osu.ppy.sh/s/12191
http://osu.ppy.sh/s/17670
Attertwo
Skins pretty much always have to go, same goes for parts of the storyboard that puts me out of rhytm. However, while a lot of people seem to frown upon storyboards with flashes/pulses i find that they do, if timed correctly, both makes the map more enjoyable and makes me play better.

What I find interesting however is that you ask not only about backgrounds, skins and storyboard elements, but also storyboards themselves. I always assumed there'd be some kind of serversidedcheck to assure you were using the correct one, but since you have to ask, does that mean that you do actually not make sure that the correct storyboard is used, and that the only thing stopping anyone from completely combating the hidden, and partially combating the flashlight mod with a custom SB, is the amount of time they would have to invest?
Vanmonky
I never want to change anything of mappers' masterpieces.
FireballFlame
As far as I can remember I haven't removed anything on any map, ever.
And I remember only one map I've ever played on novideo.

By the way, it says "Poll runs till -319448 seconds ago" at the top :lol:
Zerostarry
I replace/delete skins, backgrounds, and all that stuff if i'm unable to FC it on the 5th try or so.

Then i'll place them back after I FC it.
Mashley
Never delete stuff, I just rage about them on irc and play a different map
Piotrekol

Zerostarry wrote:

I replace/delete skins, backgrounds, and all that stuff if i'm unable to FC it on the 5th try or so.

Then i'll place them back after I FC it.
same
haha5957
Only when it confuses me.

but many of those that have custom circle and hit effect usually confuses me

I never delete BGs or hitsounds but circles and effects are usually deleted.
ziin
pink on pink, white/gray on white/gray, heart shaped approach circles, and similarly colored hitbursts are all things I delete. They are also the only things I delete.

Storyboards are seldom annoying or lag me. I seldom delete anything.
Fabi
Example: I can't see the cursor nor the circles properly.
Card N'FoRcE

ziin wrote:

pink on pink
But, but.... but i made black overlays/sliderborders to increase the visibility of the beats ;_;

Slightly quoting white/gray on white/gray things (this map aaaaaaaaah), but sometimes enabling/disabling video (depends on the beatmap itself) helps me play.
Cyclohexane

Which are heavy SB's (S_i_R_i_R_u's, for example)
Horribad skins
Heavy BG's (Mind you some of them make me drop to 30 fps, a good example is The Killers - Somedy Told Me on [Hard])
And sometimes I get rid of SB's to get into precision mode and try to FC/Clear, even though I do it very rarely
pjiang621111
"I delete elements only when they severely interfere with playing." ...is what I chose, since it best fits my situation.

Generally, I don't delete anything - I just move them all into a new folder that I will create in the song folder.

I prefer the ouendan2 skin more than any other skin, so I usually remove the skins in the folders, as it actually bothers me if I don't see the skin. But there are exceptions, and sometimes I would leave the preset skin alone because it fits, looks good, and/or it doesn't bother me much.

I do have a strict policy though. Backgrounds showing anime girls in a somewhat seductive manner or any bg with a girl in it that I don't feel would be best for my family and others to see will be removed on sight. I maintain a PG-13 environment back home, and I don't want other people making assumptions or saying anything about me if they see a background like that while I am playing.
Avedas
Anything with a halfway terrible skin gets deleted. I'll usually leave the SB and I always leave the BG.
KRZY
I delete everything cuz it's easier to play that way >_> lame, I know, but that's how I play
wmfchris
I'll delete the elements that cause flashy scene, as well as 50/100/300 elements.
Sleep Powder
I chose the option "I play the maps as they were made" but I actually tend to avoid playing maps with high amounts of SB unless the map is actually enjoyable. (or in special cases where the SB is better than the map) *

Reasons include:
  1. Lag
  1. Distraction
  1. Custom skin elements like cursor or hitsounds.
Zhanger_old
I typically delete elements when they interfere with playing or when I need a scapegoat for doing badly on a map ~_~.
But I usually just dislike the 300,100,50 images cause typically the colors are different and I rely on the color rather than number to know what i got ;s

animask wrote:

I chose the option "I play the maps as they were made" but I actually tend to avoid playing maps with high amounts of SB unless the map is actually enjoyable. (or in special cases where the SB is better than the map) *

Reasons include:
  1. Lag
  1. Distraction
  1. Custom skin elements like cursor or hitsounds.
you can choose to have your default skin's cursor overwrite any custom one - just fyi :P

too bad its only the cursor T^T
ferailo9
The only sb ive ever removed was in Nightcore - Jump Jump

But I put it into a new folder and then put it back because it's JUST TOO FUN TO NOT WATCH.
Anzo
The SPINNER blends well to the mouse cursor (even if you change the cursor)... can't see it very well...
I can't get a higher bonuses...

BTW, I still not deleting those spinner skins even if I want to... because I still get a 300...
Kaoru Evans
I only move the SB (when i have lag) to other folder and later i restore it :3
Kodoshi
I delete everything in every map because it helps me a lot on increasing the fps so i can move faster, and by faster i mean more normal than a laggy retarded movement.

I'm doing this only because it helps me playing better if the computer has a better performance, i couldn't have cared less about the visual stuff if they didn't do anything to my weak computer :|

When i'll get a better computer ( i don't think it will happen soon though..) i'll stop deleting stuff.
Gens
I play the maps as they were made. Maybe because I find it too bothersome to go find the beatmap's folder and delete everything there.
When something lags me, I just wait for my computer to get "better" (restarting often helps), or just play something else. Storyboards generally don't affect me though; whenever I get lag spikes, I get them globally, and I can get through any skin pretty much fine (except of course if it's an horribly horrible skin, but I don't recall any, probably because I don't play as much anime as everyone else).
lyh20050329
If I delete the elements.
I think the map will be tedious~~~

maybe it will let me make more "miss" when I'am playing.

but I think It is the important parts of th OSU!

I like them~~~
Teras
Maps should be played as they were meant to be. The only exception I would make is if it's as flashy as that map James made a while ago.
blazen_old
You can delete custom skins? I did not even know you could do that. Some custom skins really kill me. I guess I play them as they are meant to be.
ab721112

statementreply wrote:

1. sb that causes lag
  2. sb that makes me feel sick (eg. with the whole image flashing/rotating/moving)
  3. hit 300 100 50 if the colors look alike
  4. spinner without center
  5. approachcircle and hitcircleoverlay sometimes
  6. ...
Ekoro
I've forget if i have already post here...

Hum , it depends. If it's only "switch-BG", it's okay , but if it's like Strange Program , huh , no no no D:
lkjl23
KRZY

NeverDie wrote:

on my horrible computer (which I'm sure most players in countries like china have)
...the typical ignorant American/banana

Also yeah I know peppy keeps saying SB lags aren't supposed to happen but, truth is, they do.
ziin
China makes most of our electronics and thus can get them for cheaper...
LaceWingfield
well i didn't delete anything
because i already get used with some annoying elements.
Maxer00
I only delete those super-special-HD quality-awesome videos,when I get tired of 'no-video' them,because my PC is a monster...in a old way,ya know.
loli66
well i not delet elements becuase sometimes this elements are need for help in the experience of play that map, but sometimes i only download with the option "download without video" because the video sometimes give lag very bad
Equivalent_old
When it come to disturb my gameplay, no doubt I will delete it immediately. As a player, I prefer more score than art
Gon
Delete elements on a regular basis. I've been playing on black backgrounds on other rhythm games and I still prefer to keep it that way.
SYSEN
no because i was too lazy to search the song folder

peppy wrote:

Deleting storybaords, backgrounds and skins is possible due to the currently open nature of beatmaps. Without getting into a debate over what is right or wrong, I would like to know the general ratio of people who do this -- mainly to reinforce my beliefs that the number isn't as high as some people think.

If you make a post starting any kind of debate it will be removed.

If you choose the last option, providing examples of maps is highly encouraged!
Nadina120
I play no vid
Vulf
No video is perma on.

Only thing that really bothers me are some of the custom skins. I prefer my own skin most of the time ;)
show more