forum

Possible improvements to the BeatMap nominating system

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
beaver
Note: I am new at mapping and do not wish to rank any of my maps any time soon.

I feel as if with one simple change could help improve the quality of maps getting ranked. Make submitting maps anonymous. In my opinion, well established mappers in the community get their maps ranked way to easily, while unknown mappers can take months or even years for 2 beatmap nominators to see their work. So, in order to make sure only the best maps get submitted, make it so BN's rank the map without knowing the creator, that way it can be judged purely on the quality of the map. I'm not sure how the specifics would work with this type of idea,(maybe make it so the metadata is hidden or they cant see the author idk), but i honestly think if submitting maps were anonymous it would make a huge improvement to the game.

Edit: Thanks for Endaris for bringing this up
BN's usually have close connections when it come the upper echelon of mappers and are usually more inclined to nominate maps from people who they know have an established place in the mapping community. It is impossible to stop outside connections between BN's and mappers, the reality is the integrity of such a anonymous mapping system would falter leisurely.

I am 99% certain that creative maps such as Monstrata's "A-L-I-E-N" and rrtyui's "Exit this earths atmosphere" would not be ranked if they were not Monstrata and rrtyui. Even though these maps are fundamentally sound and have every right to be ranked, I just don't see an unknown mapper getting either of these maps ranked
Endaris
The maps don't get ranked so fast because the BNs are like "oh I want to rank a map for cool mapper xyz".
The maps get ranked so fast because those mappers have a network of other mappers, modders and BNs that enables them to get people to look at their map quickly. Even if submissions were anonymised, these mappers would still be able to reach out to modders and BNs in the same way, effectively changing nothing.

You should also note that interaction between mapper and modder and thus also mapper and BN is vital in bringing the map forward and anonymising is not really going to work well for that.
lewski
even ignoring how the idea is just plain bad, why do you assume people wouldn't just tell each other which maps are theirs? that's just not realistic
Topic Starter
beaver
I see well known mappers as the role models of the mapping community, so if they don't abide by a simple system like this, it really puts in to perspective how bad the state of community is. I'm just trying to stay positive
IOException
ranking is a social game
Cubby
i am BeatMapping
Endaris

Webthesnail63 wrote:

I see well known mappers as the role models of the mapping community, so if they don't abide by a simple system like this, it really puts in to perspective how bad the state of community is. I'm just trying to stay positive

Regardless of how you think about people, a system shouldn't reward people for bypassing it and that's what it would do with your suggestion. This is why it is a bad one.
Dialect

Webthesnail63 wrote:

I am 99% certain that creative maps such as Monstrata's "A-L-I-E-N" and rrtyui's "Exit this earths atmosphere" would not be ranked if they were not Monstrata and rrtyui. Even though these maps are fundamentally sound and have every right to be ranked, I just don't see an unknown mapper getting either of these maps ranked
no. there's meaning behind these creative maps, and new mappers who haven't gotten a ranked map could never interpret the concepts behind it. dsco, for example, even if he is a content creator, he still deserves to get his maps ranked regardless of his status as a youtuber.

myxo made ash like snow (that one unpassable circles only map), and it's honestly a really good map, is a creative map, with a simple concept: "circles only" + "geometric shapes". the lower diffs are mapped questionably, but if you showed it to a new player, then the player would understand it. myxo does make good maps, and we should try being more creative.

if you want to get absurd stuff ranked, you should try getting in touch with bns. i know i can't talk, about i don't think you should dismiss the maps getting ranked just because it's from an EXPERIENCED mapper.
Zelzatter Zero

Webthesnail63 wrote:

Ever heard of Hollow Wings? One of her map, Genryu Kaiko, have a time that the modding thread being locked due to her concept that require rhythm in hi-hat sounds, which is barely noticeable, causing the drama over it. And before you ask, yes, this is still a creative concept to go for.

And also when you put A-L-I-E-N and EXiT this Earth's Atomosphere as an example of creativity, I don't think you have done research enough. A-L-I-E-N have a time going to Loved section because according to some people, "The world isn't ready for this". Meanwhile, EXiT this Earth's Atomosphere is not that creative when there are lots of tech maps at that moment, it's just the mapper is rrtyui, who was already a really big name at that time.

Those are reasons why there's even a thread about the lacking of variety in the Ranked section. It's not about mappers, it's about ranking system itself.
TheKingHenry

Webthesnail63 wrote:

Edit: Thanks for Endaris for bringing this up
BN's usually have close connections when it come the upper echelon of mappers and are usually more inclined to nominate maps from people who they know have an established place in the mapping community.
I guess the idea is relatively the same, but wording is a bit goof in my opinion. I couldn't care less about your "established place in the mapping community" but if I know you have some "established skill" (in mapping), well, that's whole another story and I might be like "hm, I could probably be ranking this map so let's give it a look". At least if it's not music I dislike :^) Just sayin' because these two things ain't necessarily the same every time
Asphiee
Here comes the BN. And thank you for clarifying things.