forum

[resolved] Osu! Lag

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
- Trust -
Problem details: Previously, my osu! always ran fine. With between 0.5-0.6ms and 1k+ fps. After my pc restarted osu! struggles to get to 800 fps and hovers around 2.5ms input lag. I have tried everything I could think of: following fps/latency tutorials, reinstalling osu!, restarting PC, messing around with all the settings on osu!, but nothing seems to help.

Video or screenshot showing the problem:
before: https://gyazo.com/682dd6fd814889880c618f27a94d3d4c
after: https://i.gyazo.com/bcb43683a4deea0951987d24be57c5de.png

osu! version: Cutting Edge 20200325
Death
Try closing things you don't need to have open in the background (e.g. Discord, which I can see you have open from your screenshot).

It's also possible that something may have updated when you restarted your PC and that is causing issues. For example, Windows maybe or perhaps just your graphics driver. That is something to look into.
Topic Starter
- Trust -

Death wrote:

Try closing things you don't need to have open in the background (e.g. Discord, which I can see you have open from your screenshot).

It's also possible that something may have updated when you restarted your PC and that is causing issues. For example, Windows maybe or perhaps just your graphics driver. That is something to look into.

I tried a clean start-up. Game's latency is still locked at ~2.2ms. Could it be the "beatmap difficulty calculations"? I still get really good performance on other gpu heavy games.
Death
It shouldn't be calculating in game. Open your task manager and check osu!'s usage along with anything else you have open, just to see. You can leave the game open on the song selection screen for a while so it can finish calculating everything just in case. You should get a notification that it is done when it finishes.
Topic Starter
- Trust -
osu! is only using up to 20% of my GPU and CPU.
Death
I would expect to see higher CPU usage if difficulty calculations were actually causing performance issues. I'd still default to this potentially being caused by something that updated when you restarted your computer.

Most games do not get nearly as many frames as what you get in osu! by the way, so making the comparison there isn't super reliable. There are also multiple other factors that could cause one game to run fine and not another. Regardless, doesn't immediately need to be a driver issue, it could be something else.
Topic Starter
- Trust -
Ok I don't know what I did, but it's even weirder now. Sometimes when I tab back into the game, its running completely fine. But once I retry the map, the fps and latency just drops instantly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qM61J_6YXYI&feature=youtu.be
click something
Its just like death said, it doesn't have to be a driver issue, but just to make sure, have you tried installing an older version of your driver ?
Topic Starter
- Trust -
I have D:
Death
Just out of curiosity, does this actually affect anything noticeable? You are still getting a considerable amount of frames even when it happens to be limited to that lower amount, it shouldn't be making a huge difference.
Topic Starter
- Trust -
I definitely feel the lag, it feels like my cursor is less smooth. (idk if you can see it in the 60fps yt video tho)
click something
Problem is , lag spikes are never caused by osu!, there has to be something running in the background that is affecting your performance
Death
That's not necessarily true, but considering the only thing that changed was a computer restart and nothing related to osu!, I don't think it is related to osu! itself. If you haven't yet, try to let that diff calc finish and then see if there is any difference.
Topic Starter
- Trust -
So I left song select on overnight, and it's still calculating difficulties. Is it because I have 35k beatmaps? It never took this long before.
Death
It can take a while, but overnight seems excessive unless you have some map that is holding up the entire process.

How are you determining that it is still calculating?
Topic Starter
- Trust -
This prompt pops up every time I go to song select. (https://gyazo.com/bce1088583ce7702d48955d135d02964)
Death
Can you try grouping your beatmaps by difficulty and checking to see how many maps you have in the "Not yet calculated" and "Below 1 star" group?
Topic Starter
- Trust -
There are 39 maps below 1 star and I can't see a "not yet calculated".

I also tried another clean install of osu!, and that one had the same problem, normal fps and ms when I first tab in, and then spiking when I retry a map.
(as seen in this video: https://youtu.be/qM61J_6YXYI)

So likely not the games problem, but something about the drivers. Is it possible the game is running on integrated graphics or smth like that?
Death
If any of the maps in that below 1 star group are 0 stars, can you try deleting them? Then try letting difficulty calculation run again for a bit.
Topic Starter
- Trust -
Lowest star is 0.46.
Death
I don't know what could be causing the message to appear a bunch then. Maybe a super high star rating map that happened to already have it's difficulty calculated but is trying to be recalculated? Not sure.

Something you could try is installing the game to some other location on your computer that doesn't have any beatmaps and checking to see if you are still having issues on that install.
Topic Starter
- Trust -
"I also tried another clean install of osu!, and that one had the same problem, normal fps and ms when I first tab in, and then spiking when I retry a map.
(as seen in this video: https://youtu.be/qM61J_6YXYI)

So likely not the games problem, but something about the drivers. Is it possible the game is running on integrated graphics or smth like that?"

I just don't understand how something like retrying a map could affect how the game runs in such a dramatic way.
Death
I didn't see your edit.

It is technically possible that game is running on your integrated graphics if you have them. That is something you can check for in your driver software. I think your task manager should also say which GPU is being used. What are your specs anyway?
Topic Starter
- Trust -
https://gyazo.com/fffaddf7d4ed11782e473134d19d7526

The game uses maximum ~20% of GPU. (when I'm trying to cap it by running a 10 star map with ATDTHR)

Also while watching the autoplay, the same thing happens: if I tab out and tab back in the game suddenly runs better. Also doing that makes the game use ~40% the GPU.
Death
The game probably won't use 100% of your GPU, that doesn't mean that something isn't being worked. Usually when you have an overworked GPU you get lag spikes anyway, not sustained lower performance.
Topic Starter
- Trust -
How can I make the game use more GPU. Because I think thats essentially the problem.
Death
I don't think that is the problem. The game will use what it needs if you have it set to unlimited. You can't magically get it to use more.
Topic Starter
- Trust -
But when the game runs well its using 40% of the GPU instead of 20%.
Death
Maybe it's set to use some sort of power saving setting then? That's all I can think of.
Topic Starter
- Trust -
I still don't understand how it runs fine, until I retry a map. How would that affect anything GPU wise?

New discovery:
This issue only happens when its fullscreen. Borderless or windowed allows the game to use 40-50% GPU and it runs well.
Death
I don't know, that's why I didn't consider that to be a possibility...
Topic Starter
- Trust -
New discovery:
This issue only happens when its fullscreen. Borderless or windowed allows the game to use 40-50% GPU and it runs well.
Dntm8kmeeatu
I'm curious if anything changes if you enable/disable Game Mode in Windows, or Fullscreen optimizations in the osu!.exe properties. Might also check to see if Focus Assist changes anything too.
takasan0901
Nvidia v445.75 drivers are causing the drop in performance.

In my case, it was cured by returning the driver version to 442.74
Topic Starter
- Trust -

Dntm8kmeeatu wrote:

I'm curious if anything changes if you enable/disable Game Mode in Windows, or Fullscreen optimizations in the osu!.exe properties. Might also check to see if Focus Assist changes anything too.

None of that changed anything as far as I could see.

takasan0901 wrote:

Nvidia v445.75 drivers are causing the drop in performance.

In my case, it was cured by returning the driver version to 442.74

I rolled back to v442.74 and it did fix the issue. TYVM.
Dntm8kmeeatu
Please feel free to report this issue on Nvidia's forums or driver team if you believe it's the drivers fault.

I'll keep this info in mind.