forum

Hitsounding for kick and snare

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Involute
On my map (drum and bass), I'm currently using a custom drum-hitnormal for the kicks and a custom soft-hitclap addition for the snares. This sounds alright when playing the default skin, but sounds really off for other skins such as yugen: you heard an audible "clack" on all the notes EXCEPT the kicks, since the drum-hitnormal the kicks use are muted in comparison. This sounds disorienting especially since the kick is a strong sound like the snare, yet its hitsound is barely audible in comparison to weaker sounds.

Therefore, is it reasonable to maintain the soft hitnormals for all the sounds, and then adding the custom kick sound as a soft-hitfinish addition? This way, the kicks shouldn't be overwhelmed by less important sounds on skins that use clacky sounds as hitnormals. On the other hand, players that don't turn on beatmap hitsounds will be graced to a cymbal crashing on every kick, which is probably not a good thing.

(There are currently a lot of default soft-hitwhistles representing the melody that coincide with kicks, and soft-hitclap is reserved for the snare, which is why I'd like to use soft-hitfinish for the kicks)

Would be appreciative of someone bringing order to my chaos :)

The map in question: https://osu.ppy.sh/beatmapsets/1074335#osu/2248274
realy0_
using any non-cymbals for soft/normal-hitfinish is a big no

using kick/snare sounds with drum-hirnormal and soft-hitclap are the most appropriate hitsound naming for them.
you should name your hitsounds in a way that playing with default osu! skin isn't jarring at all. it doesn't matter if it sound bad on a custom skin.

The reason why you don't care about hs on custom skin is that it's entirely customizable, you can add/remove the custom hs into a skin
Endaris
In my opinion you shouldn't bother to do extra work for people who use skin hitsounds.
Either they care about beatmap hitsounds (and in that case they will have chosen their skin hitsounds accordingly) or they don't and then they will ignore beatmap hitsounds anyway.

It's not your map's fault if the hitsounds in a skin are off-balance and you can't possibly make it right for all skins. If it sounds decent on one it will suck on the other.

If you wanted to be 100% sure you could add the used default skin hitsounds as custom hitsounds to ensure they don't get mixed but that might get shot down as waste of mapsize in the ranking process.
Topic Starter
Involute
That makes a lot of sense, thanks for clearing things up for me :)
lewski

Involute wrote:

sounds really off for other skins such as yugen

try this technique (credit to Lasse)