forum

Distance Snap or Blanket?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
rbk
I'm sure that like everthing else in mapping this is subjective and abstract, but is it usually better to keep spacing consistent or blanket objects for a neater beatmap at the expense of the player having to snap slightly different distances?
lewski
slight differences in spacing don't affect movement at all so just do what looks better

distance snap also makes the map boring as hell and super misrepresentative of the music so just turn it off
Topic Starter
rbk
turn it off completely? i don't think i'd be able to fully eyeball every distance and still have it be consistent enough without looking straight up ugly or being unplayable. thanks for the feedback anyway
Endaris
It depends on the context.
If the change in distance causes a jump that is still considered to be low difficulty in relation to the entire map it is often a good idea to forgo distance snap. The purpose of doing so can not only be visuals but also (and I consider this more important) readability. These 2 go hand in hand a lot of times but generally speaking if you can improve readability then do it.

Especially on Hard difficulties (and ofc lower) you need to be careful with it as the resulting jump might feel more impactful for the player. You shouldn't force small spikes just to get better visuals. In many cases, doing such small jumps for better visuals also does rather hurt the readability if distance snap is used for the most part of the map.
That being said, on Hard diffs (and Normal to some degree) you can always consider slider leniency as well and potentially use a bigger spacing if the leniency makes the actual jump smaller without creating a spike.
Nao Tomori
IMO since mapping is mostly based on visual response, it is better to use blankets and good aesthetics in order to give your map structure and cohesion. Using distance snap limits you immensely since you can't make good patterns that represent the song well!
Topic Starter
rbk
Interesting. Thanks all for feedback
marcelo
Distance snap for blankets. Usually more easier that way