forum

MAMAMOO - Taller Than You

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Demeisen
This beatmap was submitted using in-game submission on Wednesday, February 20, 2019 at 11:03:20 PM

Artist: MAMAMOO
Title: Taller Than You
Tags: Solar Moonbyul Hwasa Wheein
BPM: 100
Filesize: 31789kb
Play Time: 03:01
Difficulties Available:
  1. SmOLAR (3.74 stars, 485 notes)
Download: MAMAMOO - Taller Than You
Download: MAMAMOO - Taller Than You (no video)
Information: Scores/Beatmap Listing
---------------
MAMAMOO

MAMAMOO

MAMAMOO

Fully playable with hitsounds. Mostly finalized.
Maybe another diff for this one at some point. This song was so fun to map.

So mapping under certain constraints always intrigued me. At least the idea of it. I play a lot of older kpop maps, and older maps in general tend to follow the grid a lot, so I decided to try it. Large grid, every object/node snapped. It got old real fast. Figuring out solutions to problems within the constraint is fun at first, but when you have a constraint that is as oppressing as the grid it just feels like there isn't much space to innovate after a while.

I feel like I start imposing certain constraints on my mapping as I'm figuring out what I want to do with a map; like avoiding certain slider shapes, or emphasizing certain rhythms, SV ranges etc. But those are at least in part informed by something in the song, and ultimately make the map unique. This kind of constraint just seems artificial. Maybe it would have been helpful to experiment with when I was just starting out mapping, but I don't know if I would have had the experience to diversify the mapping enough then.

If anything this exercise has been introspective and I think there's value in that, but I don't think that I'll be working under such an overbearing constraint again any time soon.