forum

osu! on Mac - PSA/Proposal

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Rijrya
osu! on Mac has been overlooked for quite a while now, with very little new updates coming out. Most Mac osu! players are still stuck on the fallback 2015 version, where submitting plays on maps ranked after October 27th is impossible now. The "unofficial updates" and alpha releases on the current download page right now mostly don't even work, and even when they do, they crash often and still don't have most of the features of the Stable release. peppy also most definitely has more important things to worry about than the minuscule percentage of players on Mac, so there probably won't be any updates coming out in the near future.

There is, however, a community-member made solution to all of this. Currently, there is a download available on GitHub, made by Mic238, for the latest version of osu! for Mac, found here: https://github.com/Mic238/osu-for-Mac-Stable-Latest
The download actually works, all of the features of the stable release are available, there isn't any lag, and there (mostly) aren't any crashes. It also plays much better than any of the "official" releases on the download page.

The fact that it is a GitHub link, however, makes it unknown to most Mac users. Most of the players that I introduce the download to, whether it be on the subreddit or in game have no idea that this even existed. The link isn't posted anywhere on the forums or the download page, which is a shame because many Mac players could have a much better game experience if the knew about this release.

So I'm proposing that this community-member made GitHub download replace the current download links on the website. There really isn't much of a reason not to, as even the most recent release on the download page right now is made by a member of the community. This would probably in turn make the game more appealing for Mac users in general, and maybe draw more people to the game.

TL;DR
Current osu! for mac releases are terrible to play, there is a stable release of the latest version of osu! for Mac on github that nobody knows about, and it works a lot better than any of the "official" releases. Proposing that this download replaces the ones on the website currently.
Technocoder
To start off with, I think it's a great idea to have different Wineskins to test out so that players can choose which one they feel is the best.

The issue with Mic238's Wineskin in particular is the installation steps. I'd imagine that many players are unfamiliar with Github or even the Terminal so getting the Wineskin in the first place is a bit of a hurdle. (Naturally of course, a prepackaged Wineskin can be provided in place of a git clone).

I'd like to hear more about the "Unofficial Update" and Alpha releases not working. Personally, I've gotten the Unofficial Update to work pretty much flawlessly (although I am a bit biased in that I'm the creator of it :P) and also updated to the latest stable release of osu!. I haven't had a lot of issues with the Alpha release when I was using it either. While a lot of issues are brought up on my thread, I think the majority of successful installations aren't reported and so failures are disproportionately represented (of course, this is likewise for Mic238's Wineskin as well).

In conclusion, whilst making Mic238's Wineskin more publicly known to the community is a good idea, I think it's too drastic to single it as the only Wineskin option available for players.

TL;DR
Mic238's installation method is unfamiliar to regular users, I've gotten the Unofficial Update and Alpha release to work fine, Putting Mic238's Wineskin as the sole option is limiting to players.