forum

Thread Necromancy

posted
Total Posts
show more
Westonini

abraker wrote:

here is a sample after a few minutes of brainstorming

Point Eater: For 3 posts you eat your victim's points every time you post. Your victim looses and you gain the number of points equal to the last number of points your victim gained

Point Explosion: Everybody gains points equivalent to the highest score gained in one post. Your point reward is doubled for the next 2 turns.

Point Slasher: Slash your victim. Your victim bleeds out 50 pts. Who will be the lucky player who finds these bled out 50 pts? Odds are 1/(num_of_players * 3)

Point Swap: Swap points with a player for the next 2 posts you or your victim makes

Blue Shell: Bring #1 player down to be #2

Point Growth: Get N times more points the lower ranked you are

Div by 0: Divide a player's points by 0. Your victim has an undefined amount of points and is unaffected by any point manipulations until you post again or the victim posts 3 times

Gamble: Double post for a 50:50 chance of getting 200 pts

Entangled: You get or loose as many points as your victim for the duration of the next three posts you or your victim makes

Did you really spell loses as "looses" twice? Wait, you spelt it as loose when explaining the rules on the front page as well.

Also, same question as Penguin Sanchez.
Topic Starter
abraker
power-ups will be obtained at random when you post. Some power-ups have higher odds of being given than others, and I will have to go about at figuring out what those odds should be to balance the game. When you have a power-up, it would be displayed on the main post in some way and you will be able to use by writing something in your post ("/use {powerup}" or something)
Achromalia
kind of a weird new system, but oki, i'm alright with whatever happens.

abraker, do you have a poll for this somewhere?

we can vote on it or something.
Topic Starter
abraker
Here you go: https://www.strawpoll.me/16647224

I might put it on the main post a bit later, but you can keep reposting it until then.
Westonini
20 minutes is good enough.
johnmedina999
Point eater: It should be that the player before you loses like 1/2 of what your score would be if you don't use it. For example, if you get 60 points and you use the power up, you should get 90 points and the previous poster should lose 30. This way, the amount lost/gained is dynamic and recalculated every post, and the user can be more thoughtful about when he posts.

Point explosion: I see no point in ever using this. If everyone gets the same amount of points then it's like no one gets any net gain. The only thing I can see that's positive about this is the "Your point reward is doubled for the next 2 turns" part, but then, it can be a power up of its own.
And on that, I think 2x is very high and very OP. Either make it rare or lower the multiplier.

Point slasher: I think the bled-out points should be percentage-based, not static. This way, you can use it thoughtfully in order to get the maximum benefit. I don't see anything wrong with the chance of finding it.

Point swap: I don't really understand this one, can you please explain it a bit better?

Blue shell: Blue shells are cancer and they shouldn't be implemented in any game ever. People work hard to get to the top, it's not fair to be able to regicide the #1. The scoreboard resets every month anyway; there isn't a need to dethrone anyone.

Point growth: Again, I think this is very OP. It would be better if it's something like 0.75nx, where n is your position. For example, if you're in 3rd place, you should get 3*0.75x points or 2.25x points. Maybe even less.

Divide by zero: This can be abused by the victim. If I'm hit by DBZ, I can just triplepost and the DBZ is gone now; not very helpful. EDIT: The only use I can find for this is with Entangled, but then you can't use Entangled on yourself, I assume, and that synergy would be the only good reason this power-up exists. It's not good to have a one-use power-up.

Gamble: I think it would be more fun if you could gamble any amount of points as long as it's less than or equal to the amount of points you have. If you lose, you lose the points you gamble, and if you win, your points are doubled. For example, if I have 1500 points, I could do \gamble{750}; if I lose, my point total is 750, and if I win, my point total is 2250.

Entangled: Perfect power up. As long as it's two-way, of course.

Also, I think it would be cool if you could sell your power-ups for points. Just a thought.
Westonini

Westonini wrote:

20 minutes is good enough.
Topic Starter
abraker

johnmedina999 wrote:

Point eater: It should be that the player before you loses like 1/2 of what your score would be if you don't use it. For example, if you get 60 points and you use the power up, you should get 90 points and the previous poster should lose 30. This way, the amount lost/gained is dynamic and recalculated every post, and the user can be more thoughtful about when he posts.
That can be another variation. The point of the mechanics for the one I came up with is to allow the victim the opportunity to minimize damage to self.

____

johnmedina999 wrote:

Point explosion: I see no point in ever using this. If everyone gets the same amount of points then it's like no one gets any net gain. The only thing I can see that's positive about this is the "Your point reward is doubled for the next 2 turns" part, but then, it can be a power up of its own.
And on that, I think 2x is very high and very OP. Either make it rare or lower the multiplier.
There are a couple power-ups I listed that would cause someone not to receive the same amount of points: Divide by zero and Entangled. Divide by zero would cause the victim not to gain those points. Entangled would cause the one who use it have double the points due to this effect. This can't be a power-up on its own because who will use a power up which gives points everyone? The has to be an adverse effect to the very beneficial power-up.

____

johnmedina999 wrote:

Point slasher: I think the bled-out points should be percentage-based, not static. This way, you can use it thoughtfully in order to get the maximum benefit. I don't see anything wrong with the chance of finding it.
I agree

____

johnmedina999 wrote:

Point swap: I don't really understand this one, can you please explain it a bit better?
Player A has 100 pts and Player B has 50 pts. After using the power-up, player A has 50 pts and player B has 100 pts. This remains for two turns, then the pts are swapped back. I just thought of it but I don't think it's useful with any of the power-ups I have listed yet.

____

johnmedina999 wrote:

Blue shell: Blue shells are cancer and they shouldn't be implemented in any game ever. People work hard to get to the top, it's not fair to be able to regicide the #1. The scoreboard resets every month anyway; there isn't a need to dethrone anyone.
lol someone has ptsd xD. Maybe blue shell will applied the next time the one who used it posts. This way the victim can have a chance to use some kind of power-up to avoid it if possible. This power-up list can drastically change, so I wouldn't put too much effort in arguing power-ups just yet.

____

johnmedina999 wrote:

Point growth: Again, I think this is very OP. It would be better if it's something like 0.75nx, where n is your position. For example, if you're in 3rd place, you should get 3*0.75x points or 2.25x points. Maybe even less.
Yea values will have to be adjusted. Any values I throw have not been thought about and are just an example. If this idea goes through, then we will work at balancing the power-ups proper.

____

johnmedina999 wrote:

Divide by zero: This can be abused by the victim. If I'm hit by DBZ, I can just triplepost and the DBZ is gone now; not very helpful.
The one who uses it can use it with another power-up. Suppose you want to use Point Explosion but don't want to the #1 player gain points. You can use DBZ on the #1 player before Point Explosion. Or use DBZ on yourself to avoid Point Eater.

____

johnmedina999 wrote:

Gamble: I think it would be more fun if you could gamble any amount of points as long as it's less than or equal to the amount of points you have. If you lose, you lose the points you gamble, and if you win, your points are doubled. For example, if I have 1500 points, I could do \gamble{750}; if I lose, my point total is 750, and if I win, my point total is 2250.
I don't like that. You would naturally want to gamble little to minimize the amount of points you could loose. That means that would need very low odds of getting points doubled. This basically ensures that this power-up is not worth it or useless much like the slots command in the OT discord.

____

If the votes show in favor to the power-ups, I will be asking for power-up ideas and adjustments to mechanics. Right now it's a bit pointless to talk about, but I replied to have an interesting convo among these bland posts. Remember to vote here: https://www.strawpoll.me/16647224
Achromalia
westonini is oof
johnmedina999

abraker wrote:

That can be another variation. The point of the mechanics for the one I came up with is to allow the victim the opportunity to minimize damage to self.
OK, sure. I see that.

abraker wrote:

There are a couple power-ups I listed that would cause someone not to receive the same amount of points: Divide by zero and Entangled. Divide by zero would cause the victim not to gain those points. Entangled would cause the one who use it have double the points due to this effect.
OK, I see that as well. Though it's still not very useful.

abraker wrote:

Player A has 100 pts and Player B has 50 pts. After using the power-up, player A has 50 pts and player B has 100 pts. This remains for two turns, then the pts are swapped back.
Ah, I see! So I can use it and then post and delete my post and post and delete my post and then when we switch back the other player will have -10^100000 points.
I don't think that's such a good idea.

abraker wrote:

This power-up list can drastically change, so I wouldn't put too much effort in arguing power-ups just yet.
Alright, I'll trust you on this one.

abraker wrote:

Or use DBZ on yourself to avoid Point Eater.
This was my true question. It's good that you can use it on yourself. Thanks.

abraker wrote:

much like the slots command in the OT discord.
That's not a very good comparison. In the Discord, getting points was slow and clunky. Here, we get points very frequently. I assume people will bet low enough to not lose a place in the rankings, so that's in between 100 and 200 in the lower ranks, more than your hard limit of 100.

Instead of thinking of it like Discord, think of it like Jeopardy. In the show, you can get a "Double Jeopardy" question where you can bet any amount of money that you have, and it works just as I described. Assuming the probability you get the question right is 50%, it works quite well: people tend to spend about 30% to 40% of their total on these wagers. I still think it would be best if we could choose our wagers.
Achromalia
hmm. conke or bepis?

am bone boi, tek molk.
yuhaii
:?:
Topic Starter
abraker
should this game have power-ups? https://www.strawpoll.me/16647224
Penguin
I think a lot of the power-ups need some tweaking and reworks to balance it all, but it should be a fun addition
Westonini

Achromalia wrote:

westonini is oof
Achromalia

Westonini wrote:

Achromalia wrote:

westonini is oof
Westonini
HHHHHHH
Achromalia
hhhhhhh.
Westonini
I once drank a whole gallon of milk in a day and I could feel my bones expand. At first I thought I was just full from the milk, but my skin started to form stretch marks and I was visibly wider. I didn't know what was happening but I had an uncontrollable urge to drink more milk. I drove into the nearest gas station and literally ripped the door off the rifrigerated section containing the milk.

I started chugging gallon after gallon of milk standing right there in the store, my skin ripping at the seams. The cashier ran over to stop me but I swatted him aside and in one clean blow he landed across the room, shattering every bone in his pathetic meat suit. There was nothing left of him but a wet bloody puddle deprived of structure. I never thought I had it in me to kill but by now I had ascended beyond petty morality.

As I finished my eighth gallon it felt as though my stomach would rupture. My ribs broke out of my chest like a baby xxenomorph. My finger bones had grown through my hands a white nub could be seen protruding from my nose. My face was so stretched over my now massive skull I looked like Jenny McCarthy. My biceps and muscles were hard and calcified. My boner now had a bone.

I finished my twelfth gallon and began screaming and flexing, my skin tearing around my robust skeletal frame. With one final push I shed my meat chrysalis. I was free.

I didn't even use the door I simply walked out the wall of the gas station. Mortar and stone yielded to my mighty calcium. The cops were already there. In terror they began firing at me but even lead is no match for calcium. I walked straight toward one, reached down his throat and pulled his skeleton from his flesh sheath. With his bone I assembled a mighty claymore sword. With a single swing I cleaved the Earth in twain and descended into the inky black. Here I wait until the time I'm called into service for the great skellington war.
yuhaii
lol what
Achromalia

Westonini wrote:

I once drank a whole gallon of milk in a day and I could feel my bones expand. At first I thought I was just full from the milk, but my skin started to form stretch marks and I was visibly wider. I didn't know what was happening but I had an uncontrollable urge to drink more milk. I drove into the nearest gas station and literally ripped the door off the rifrigerated section containing the milk.

I started chugging gallon after gallon of milk standing right there in the store, my skin ripping at the seams. The cashier ran over to stop me but I swatted him aside and in one clean blow he landed across the room, shattering every bone in his pathetic meat suit. There was nothing left of him but a wet bloody puddle deprived of structure. I never thought I had it in me to kill but by now I had ascended beyond petty morality.

As I finished my eighth gallon it felt as though my stomach would rupture. My ribs broke out of my chest like a baby xxenomorph. My finger bones had grown through my hands a white nub could be seen protruding from my nose. My face was so stretched over my now massive skull I looked like Jenny McCarthy. My biceps and muscles were hard and calcified. My boner now had a bone.

I finished my twelfth gallon and began screaming and flexing, my skin tearing around my robust skeletal frame. With one final push I shed my meat chrysalis. I was free.

I didn't even use the door I simply walked out the wall of the gas station. Mortar and stone yielded to my mighty calcium. The cops were already there. In terror they began firing at me but even lead is no match for calcium. I walked straight toward one, reached down his throat and pulled his skeleton from his flesh sheath. With his bone I assembled a mighty claymore sword. With a single swing I cleaved the Earth in twain and descended into the inky black. Here I wait until the time I'm called into service for the great skellington war.
That's... the most beautiful lore behind the importance of milk that's ever been conceived... I thank you.

I'd also thank the next person who posts, unless it's Westonini, which then I'll... well, I'll do nothing and die as you fuck me over by enough points worth a few of my recent struggling posts ;w;
levesterz
one upon a time there a skadmldksldfmosdkjfbhgsdgvyuhajdbgyhsefnsdjfnsdkfn with whfnsdjfnsdjfknsdkmlfnsdjfnsekfnsdjflsnmdfjnsdjkfsdmlfdmafklal.
the end
Westonini
Absolutely incredible.
Achromalia
good evening, once again.

around this time, is where the cycle starts. back and forth we go.
yuhaii
hi there
Achromalia
henlo yuhaii
Westonini
hnnnggggg
DJ Enetro
*shouts of frustration*
Aiseca
Ill be sniping later....
;)
Achromalia
Aiseca will be sniping both Westonini and I soon.

It's imminent...

...just... wait a little while, it'll happen.
yuhaii
8-)
Westonini
plz no sniperoni ty
johnmedina999
*snipes u*
Ender Lain
OwO
Achromalia
this thread has me feelin like die

Westonini
owowowowowowowowowowowowowo
Achromalia
I need to come up with something better to write.
Westonini

Edit: o god I hope Achro doesn't claim these points

Edit2: Damn, I was hoping I'd be able to at least make a post before I go to bed, but I guess not.
Aiseca
Strings.
MisakiTobisawa-

Aiseca wrote:

Fixing SB and stuff..

nice art
edit: whoops
show more