forum

Leevi "thelewa" Juusela 1995-2018

posted
Total Posts
show more
[Av] Pr0h3
Rest In Peace, May be gone but i will never forget him.
just 2 pictures i found idk who made them
https://puu.sh/B9Uzk/dac7ed33d5.PNG
https://puu.sh/B9UzG/9ae062ef99.PNG
Yyddddllllyy

Depator wrote:

Unfortunately as in duty of a closest friend of Leevi i have to inform you that he is no longer with us. May you rest in peace my brother.

This took some time to write but i want to clear things out and tell the story properly and honestly, so that someone else might learn something and maybe even saved. There might be some spelling mistakes etc. but forgive me for that. And i will warn you this might be really shocking to read for some people

I have known Leevi since elementary school's first grade, there was some times between the years when we were apart but the friendship was always there. in our teenage years we hanged around and played a lot together and one day Leevi found osu! Half a year later i joined the game too and i couldn't have imagined what the following years would have for us. Many many new friends and amazing memories. During the last couple years Leevi's life downshifted a lot and i am pretty sure his breakup with his girlfriend (Yes, he had one) had more of an impact than he said, because at that time his self-harming habits came to the daylight. Some time after that (end of 2014) he moved away on his own and got some new friends who introduced him to all sorts of psychoactive substances which "made his life better". He just became more and more distant for us, old friends of him. There was little to nothing we could do to get him back on the right rails. I was pretty much the only one he made some contact time to time. But i knew that the old Leevi is still there, behind the chemical curtain which he used to protect himself from the sadness of the cold world. Last winter was a turning point when he had a major mental breakdown and was in mental rehabilition for some time. After he got out of there he moved out of the hippie commune, back to Tampere to his own apartment. He started to contact us old friends and he activated again on our IRC-server. Him living almost in neighbour we even met couple times IRL and chatted even more online and played some Path of Exile. In start of may we went to hang out and take couple beers in a park, he said something about his current mental health that it feels like its starting to get bit worse again and we talked about it with him. When i left the park it was the last time i saw him alive. Four days after that he went offline and nobody got worried at that point because he had done similar disappearings before. Almost 2 weeks later one of his hippie friends called me and asked if i had heard anything about Leevi, at that point i really got worried because i thought he had disappeared to with them to somewhere. One of them went to his apartment and all knocking on his door without answer, with horrid smell coming from his mailbox, at that point the hippie friends werent really bothered so they didn't do anything else. I almost passed out because i could only quess what had happened so i immediately called the police to go there. Police called me back and only asked things about Leevi, but told me nothing they have no right to. After that to this point, we lived in a blackout, no one knew if he was alive or not and we could only hope that it was just rotting food there and he had gone to mental hospital. Even as close as i was with him, i had no contact to his parents. During the summer we noticed that he had been online in telegram, i tried to text him couple times and the messages were read but no answer, in the last message i told who i was and that for the fucks sake can someone answer.

I got the answer yesterday and it was Leevi's mother who now told the news. When i called the cops, Leevi was found dead from his apartment. Date of death is 12.52018. Cause of death is somewhat unclear, but there is a reason to believe that he did what he did on purpose. But there was no message. Leevi's fate is so fucking sad that i have no words for it. I just hope that no one else, ever, would have it end the same way.
Help your friends if they have troubles in life and if their life siderails, try to get them back because there is always hope and it is worth it. I did my best but i failed, im not blaming myself because people decide about their own life but i just didn't succeed.

Leevi is not here anymore to hear all the kind words people have said about him. He was a star on the sky who burned brightly but too fast. I will thank everyone who have made their condolences and for the memory of Leevi and the sake of his mother, i will make a collaboration of all the nice words and list of all of the people all around the world who have memorised him in this thread(and in other places along with his IRL friends). When finished the collaboration/adress will be given to his mother, so that she will know that Leevi had more people who care and remember him than just me, that his memory will live on to eternity. Thank you, everyone.

See you Space cowboy (Me, Kriers and thelewa in a bar while on our trip in Dreamhack 2014)

I apologise for quoting the whole thing but I've lost my best friend before and I know that you spend a lot of time blaming yourself for it. I want you to know that no matter what, you have no reason to blame yourself for anything. From what I've read, you did your best as a friend, there's nothing more you could have done. Please, whatever you do, don't blame yourself.
Aleksi-
Heartbreaking news ;(
Lepää rauhassa Leevi.

What an unfair world we're living in...
BRIKZ
:( rest in peace <3 <3 We will always love y
Dashie
Lewa was a huge inspiration for me. His style of play and his understanding of the game helped shape my view of the game and how i approach it. Will miss him so much.

Gone, but not for forgotten.

See you space cowboy...rest in peace
-Arche
rest in peace the lawa :(
Nanachii
shocking and heartbreaking news...

rest in peace thelewa, hope you are never forgotten

see you space cowboy
Kotori-Chan
Man i remember watching his streams back then. They were always so entertaining and funny...and lewa himself also looked pretty happy, having a fun time ~
He was also my (and probably many other players too) Inspiration to learn HR/HDHR.
I'll definitely never gonna forget him...

May he rest in Peace :(
xAntu
Rest in peace...
Chocolatia
It's heartbreaking that things have turned out this way. Though it was hinted that he had been struggling with life and mental health in the past, I had hoped that he would be okay and make a serious comeback one day. I had never expected things to take a turn for the worst.

lewa will not be forgotten. The years that he's been around have made some of my best memories playing this game.
In terms of skill, he was one of the best players who was years ahead of his time.
In terms of personality, he is without a doubt my favourite osu player.

Rest in peace, lewa.

I think most of the players that were into osu as a community in the west before mid-2015 had or at least browsed ask.fm because almost every relevant player/mapper was on it and for whatever reason there was no other alternative place to gather (osugame blew up later).

lewa's ask page was the number 1 go-to page out of everyone playing the game. It was unbelievably influential. Pretty much everyone who was around at the time read it at some point. It was almost the osugame of its time for me. It was something I had to check daily during its peak period in 2013-2014 when he was still playing actively and competitively, and when I was just starting to get into the community.

I think this page was how most people got to know him. It was simply too interesting to stay away from. His quirky yet almost lovable personality just permeated through all of the stuff he wrote. Whether it was banter or about more serious life questions, the way he wrote and thought always had something compelling to it. I was genuinely fascinated by this Finnish guy writing perfect, eloquent English, and before I knew it I became an avid follower. Over the years I had anonymously asked him many questions and send him random memey stuff from time to time. I often asked for his opinions and reactions on things that were happening in the game and the community. The anonymity allowed me to be direct in just about anything I wanted to ask. Whether it was to congratulate him on FCing some map, or gaining/losing ranks, or his thoughts about other players, or something completely random, his answers never failed to disappoint. Some of these questions would go on to spark other interesting "conversations" to occur on his timeline. This was the way I interacted with him. Though it was all behind a mask, it felt meaningful to me and I feel like I got to know him a little better with each answer he gave.

I'll always miss those good old times.
azurau
rest in peace
Nerowo
Rest in peace, you'll be always in our heart.
Kaiden Mikami
RIP Thelewa. I started playing when he was still active, now... it's only in my memories.
-Kazuki-
lepää rauhassa.
Liiraye
I always looked up to you and appreciated the feedback you gave when trying my shitty maps way back lol, It really meant a lot to me.

Funny, provocative, and clever is what I can recall from the various encounters we had, even though it has been quite a few years now.

I'm very sad to find out about your passing. It's surreal in a sense, that THE thelewa isn't here anymore. It's like a chunk of osu as I knew it has been cemented and sealed away forever in history. You had a real impact on this community, as evident by the massive amounts of people paying their respects here.

You'll definitely be missed and remembered by many.

RIP.
-Hanatan
lepää rauhassa leevi, much respect.
[ Scarlet Red ]
Even though I didn't know him personally I was a huge fucking fan... ugh it's so so hard not to cry... rest in peace man... You're off in a better world. Let's hope you're still clicking circles like a mad man... haha. This is hard...
Iliekwaffles
nononno not like this ;(
Alisson
I can't count how many times I watched his replays, thelewa was one of the players I most admired, not only because of his skills, but because he was really kind and always helped newbies.

Rest in piece, my sincere condolences to your family and friends.
RememberTheTime
Rest in peace. If anybody reading this is having problems of their own please get help , there is ALWAYS hope and better days ahead.
TritoBandito
Oh boy, that Hit me like a truck. I really liked him, and He was one hell of a good player. May you Rest in peace love.
dalesama
rest in peace.
Nyaruko-san
I am heartbroken to hear this. I know I've never talked to thelewa but he was an inspiration and a funny jokester. To hear what happened to him at this young age is absolutely hard dropping and makes my mouth bitter. I'm in utter disbelief but. There is nothing we can do other than remember him for who he was. Thank you for this post.
Hanss
Before my great journey on mania, this guy was one of the eye openers back in the day to what gods this game can produce and how great osu!standard and just osu! in general can be. Unfortunate to hear about his passing. Prayers out to his friends and family. Rest in peace Leevi :/
Miru
Rest in piece.
SweetRain
cant believe it!!! rest in peace.
gilmour59
Rest in Peace :(
_blacknebula
Rip, the community will never forget
NAIDE
Rest in peace man, i hope you're doing well wherever you are
Rumia-
May you be in the better place now , RIP the hdhr god thelewa.
force-a-nature
goodnight
Snans
Amazing player with a great sense of humor. What a terrible loss...
Einhart Stratos
RIP
-Garrick
I remember when I first started, one of the first replays I watched was of thelewa. I think this was even before I had an account (someone introduced it to me and i played at his house). Amazing player, his talent will always be remembered on the leaderboards.
edvin184
This is so sad, rest in peace... :(
skyllzhogo
May your soul rest in peace indefinitely, Leevi.

I'll never forget how much he meant to me, despite being just an odd fangirl. The streams and his ask.fm gave me such enjoyment. Creating "thelewaism" was one of the weirdest times in my life. I hope that we were able to give him some amusement with the shenanigans.
LSXPH
RIP
See you Space Cowboy...
RareNest
Rest in peace you beautiful man
You were such a kind person
Prophecy
Rest in peace :(
Maxus
I'm so surprised hearing this news suddenly, Rest in Piece Thelewa.
show more