forum

Aspire 2018: Judging Call

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Ephemeral
Think you've got what it takes to dissect some of the most outlandish and complex maps the game gets to see on an (almost) yearly basis?

I'm looking for up to three panelists for the forthcoming Aspire 2018. The theme for this year is variance, and will need a set of judges who are capable of reacting to potentially a variety of different styles and themes found in the same map.

To clarify, this is for the osu! gamemode only.

IF YOU ARE CHOSEN TO BECOME A PANELIST, YOU WILL OBVIOUSLY NOT ALLOWED TO ENTER THE CONTEST.

This comes with the following expectations:

1. Willing to dedicate at least 10-20 hours for detailed reviewing of potentially 50+ entries of a 3-4min~ long track
  2. Willing/able to appear on a livestreamed presentation for the final ten entries and actively discussing your thoughts on the appropriate entries with the other judges (this will happen sometime in September or October, ideally, but could be later)
  3. You have strong, provocative opinions on various high-end beatmapping styles and techniques and are able to articulate them both in text and in voice
  4. You have a good eye for artistic spectacle and understand the importance of visuals tied to gameplay

Do note that the workload expectation is very fluid and can vary massively. Some Aspires have seen a relatively sane entry count, some have seen over a hundred. I'm hyped over the fucking moon for this year's choice and expect a high submission count, but we'll see.

As for the livestream, Aspire streams are the epitome of informal-chill, since I really can't be arsed to expect 'professional' out of them. They're generally a pretty fun experience for everyone involved, but you may be speaking to essentially a thousand people live. Make sure you're okay with that.

I'm also doing something a little different this year and splitting 'spectacle' scoring off into its own sub-category and redefining the creativity score to be strictly referring to the map, and not any visuals that come along with it. The highest scoring spectacle map will receive its own reward, there will be more details about this when the contest is officially announced during mid-August.

If you think you're up for this, post in this thread. If you're not able to, find someone who is and have them cite your name on your behalf, or PM me your interest via the forums. If you can't do any of these things, you're probably not what I'm looking for, sorry!
Mir
Halfslashed, Pachiru, UndeadCapulet, and Mun volunteer as tribute.
Mao

Ephemeral wrote:

Some Aspires have seen a relatively sane entry count, some have seen over a hundred

Ah man, Aspire 2014 and its 118 entries, what fun to judge. Sign me up for this.
Aurele
hi-mei would like to participate as a judge as well
pishifat
handsome wants to
Realazy
Yuii- wants to participate as a judge
show more