forum

Choose Songs folder [Denied]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
personne3000
Hi,

My main hard drive is divided into two partitions : a little one for the system files and programs, and a larger one for data and things that take a lot of disk space, like music, movies, etc.
Whenever I have to reinstall Windows, I just have to format my little system partition and reinstall it there. I can keep my music, movies etc. safe on the other partition.
When they use files that take a lot of disk space, softwares generally let you choose where you want to put them... But osu ! doesn't (all these songs take quite a lot of space).
This option would be useful for all the people that divide their drives the way I do (it makes backups easier), but also for people with SSD hard drives that can have fast access to system and program files (so their computers boot a lot faster and their programs start a lot faster), but generally little disk space, so they rely on standard hard drives to store heavy files. They would want osu ! installed on their SSD drive along with their other programs, but the songs files would need to be on their standard HDD because they take too much disk space.
Hope this request gets accepted, so I can stop filling my system partition with song files :D
Darkimmortal
http://schinagl.priv.at/nt/hardlinkshel ... llext.html

Install that and symlink the songs folder to your other hard disk/partition.
Topic Starter
personne3000
Hmm nice workaroud, thanks. I'll do it that way for now. But it's still only a workaround, and not a simple one... It would be better (and a lot simpler) if you didn't need any third party program to change the Songs folder.

Edit : if you don't want to download this program, you can still do it using the command line : run it as an administrator, cd to the osu! directory, remove the "Songs" folder (make sure to move the songs before of course), and type :
mklink /D Songs\ "PathToSongsFolder"
Guy-kun
I think theres a cfg file value that can be set to specify your songs folder, anyone who knows care to elaborate?
Starrodkirby86
Probably not, Guy-kun. What's inside the .cfg file can pretty much be all done within the game client. I don't really see something that's totally exclusive to the .cfg file. The only thing that I can fathom on that matter would be that it's a hidden value (Similar to UseSkinSprites for .osu), but that's even less of a possibility.

I do know that StepMania has such a feature, so I can see any convenience with this though.
Topic Starter
personne3000
Hmm... Up ?
Guy-kun
Good bump,

Kirby, it was a value that is not present by default (what you would call 'hidden')

personne, try PMing MetalMario201, he should know or prove me wrong.
peppy
Doesn't exist. Move your osu! install if need be, or go ahead and symlink it :).
Guy-kun
I imagined things ;_;