forum

ITT 2: We post shit that is neither funny nor interesting

posted
Total Posts
show more
Shohei Ohtani
As far as languages go, there needs to be a balance struck between things being clearly ordered and the need for things to be loose and flexible. An as Jordan Peterson pointed out, the personality traits of order vs flexibility seems to be something that differentiate "Liberals" and Conservatives on the political spectrum, the former generally wanting more flexibility and the latter wanting more order. This applies to language as well (and political words are particularly bad on this). Take the word "Libertarian", there's a significant amount of people who thinks this term has so broad a scope it can be used to define people with polar opposite values, and if you try to clearly define the word, they will berate you for not being "inclusive" enough. Which is obviously ridiculous, because if a word is so watered down it can be used to define anything, it defines nothing, and essentially is of no use as a word anymore. Thus you must actively fight against sloppy language use in which words are used to mean things they're not supposed to and thus their meaning expanded, as this sloppy language use is what contributes to the watering down of the language. Because English is the most widely used language, being used all over the world in a lot of different cultures and environments, it's probably been subject to this process of having meanings and definitions watered down and expanded upon more so than languages used by small, culturally homogenous populations, which brings the benefit of having an expanded vocabulary but with the downside of added vagueness. I'd imagine German is precise and functional because that's the character of the German people, but I don't think you can just reproduce that functionality by copying their language, because that functionality essentially stems from the people, and if non-Germans were to use the language they would probably degrade in to something less precise over time.

But in example of Aurani here, it was definitely his fault for misusing the word "functionality".
Green Platinum
Don't know 'how a language should function' is such a partisan issue now. Or is it just B1rd applying political rhetoric to irrelevant topics again?
Aurani

CDFA wrote:

As far as languages go, there needs to be a balance struck between things being clearly ordered and the need for things to be loose and flexible. An as Jordan Peterson pointed out, the personality traits of order vs flexibility seems to be something that differentiate "Liberals" and Conservatives on the political spectrum, the former generally wanting more flexibility and the latter wanting more order. This applies to language as well (and political words are particularly bad on this). Take the word "Libertarian", there's a significant amount of people who thinks this term has so broad a scope it can be used to define people with polar opposite values, and if you try to clearly define the word, they will berate you for not being "inclusive" enough. Which is obviously ridiculous, because if a word is so watered down it can be used to define anything, it defines nothing, and essentially is of no use as a word anymore. Thus you must actively fight against sloppy language use in which words are used to mean things they're not supposed to and thus their meaning expanded, as this sloppy language use is what contributes to the watering down of the language. Because English is the most widely used language, being used all over the world in a lot of different cultures and environments, it's probably been subject to this process of having meanings and definitions watered down and expanded upon more so than languages used by small, culturally homogenous populations, which brings the benefit of having an expanded vocabulary but with the downside of added vagueness. I'd imagine German is precise and functional because that's the character of the German people, but I don't think you can just reproduce that functionality by copying their language, because that functionality essentially stems from the people, and if non-Germans were to use the language they would probably degrade in to something less precise over time.

But in example of Aurani here, it was definitely his fault for misusing the word "functionality".
B1rd
I was going off on a tangent pointing out how the personality tendencies of different political groups translate into arguments about the definition of some political words, as I gave an example of. But mainly the post was just some reflections on language use, rather than a political point. Though the post was somewhat vague itself, because I'm at a public library so I don't have unlimited time to translate vague and indefinite thoughts in to indefinite words.

Here's another example of politically driven word usage contributing to vagueness in this article, and it's something I've always spoken against: the usage of the word "they" for individuals. It makes it hard to tell whether it's a person or group being spoken about. http://nationalpost.com/opinion/christi ... university

On this subject of English, George Orwell wrote a good essay about English usage http://www.george-orwell.org/Politics_a ... age/0.html

In other news, I got a my comment published in a popular national newspaper, which is cool.
Comfy Slippers
pleonasms are a bitch

keep it simple lads
Ashton
This is basically OT, but in one enourmous thread.
Dawns

Canadian Baka wrote:

That's why it's good. It embodies everything bad and good
BrokenArrow

Dawnsday wrote:

Canadian Baka wrote:

That's why it's good. It embodies everything bad and good
Meah
Why do people name themselves Dick even though they know it's penis
B1rd
Isn't Dick just a nickname for Richard?
Comfy Slippers

B1rd wrote:

I blame our regressive society. Dick has a nice ring to it, and people really went out of their way to ruin it.

Funnily enough, one of the first recorded instance of the pejorative "dick" was used by a guy named Head.
B1rd
Art I commissioned from Brian has reached top results in Google when you search "Libertarian anime girl".

Let it not be said I haven't achieved anything in life.

edit: I like how you use your signature to pronounce your nihilism
lol

Comfy Slippers wrote:

B1rd wrote:

I blame our regressive society.

dont compare your third world society to ours
Comfy Slippers

Too real.

mfw I could get a krstni list and domovnica and roll over to Croatia, but it wouldn't change anything. And it's not like another south slavic orgy aka Yugoslavia would fix shit.

btw

we're preventing rabies dudelmao
- based bulgarian
johnmedina999

lol wrote:

Yeah, all third-world societies are different! Our third-world society is better than theirs, huh lol?
lol

johnmedina999 wrote:

lol wrote:

Yeah, all third-world societies are different! Our third-world society is better than theirs, huh lol?

who said you can @me
DaddyCoolVipper
Don't be racist, John. America is a third-world country too, you know.
Serraionga
Cannot post.
abraker
Ideology shall paddle forward to be applied, but ends up backpaddling everything else in the process.
Aqo
(5 years later) can't believe this thread is still going
johnmedina999
ikr

It's even pinned now, so it's not in any danger of dying, either.
Aqo
remember when they deleted the last thread
DaddyCoolVipper
What is dead may never die
abraker

DaddyCoolVipper wrote:

What is dead may never die
A moving corpse can stop moving
johnmedina999
being unable to move != dead
abraker
but a corpse is already dead. For the dead to stop moving is even more dead than the dead they are in
B1rd
America is third world because of a significant presence of people from the third world.

An interesting (((coincidence))):

So, the (((Left))) imports more diversity, crime and violence skyrockets, and then they blame it on the right to bear arms and use it as an excuse for more government overreach on people's rights. In Australia too, the most pozzed state Victoria is having problems with African gangs terrorizing people's homes. Quite a sad state of affairs.
johnmedina999
Okay, okay, I was just commenting on the language of this sentence:
Green Platinum
It's pretty close looking at poverty or religiosity or how conservative a state is. The eastern rust belt is just a shithole.
B1rd

Green Platinum wrote:

It's pretty close looking at poverty or religiosity or how conservative a state is. The eastern rust belt is just a shithole.
Trying to infer loose correlations like that is silly, especially when you can actually look at research on the criminality of all those groups. Religious people commit less crime, conservatives commit less crime, and blacks commit more crime even within the same socio-economic bracket as Whites.
B1rd

Green Platinum wrote:

Trying to infer causation from loose correlations like that is silly, especially when you can actually look at research on the criminality of all those groups. Religious people commit less crime, conservatives commit less crime, and blacks commit more crime even within the same socio-economic bracket as Whites.
B1rd
I can't edit any longer.
Green Platinum

B1rd wrote:

Trying to infer loose correlations like that is silly
Pretty funny for you to say this.
B1rd
It goes without saying we're talking about Christians. And don't throw some minor objections and imply that what I'm saying is unfounded. I was talking about all crime, not just violent crime, but if you want to specify homicide: https://randomcriticalanalysis.wordpres ... economics/

As for conservatives committing less crime,

https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... t_in_crime

It's self reported so you can't be sure it's accurate, but it's not like you can prove that conservative ideology is the causation of increased crime, so pointing out that Republican states have higher crime rates in meaningless.
B1rd

Green Platinum wrote:

B1rd wrote:

Trying to infer loose correlations like that is silly
Pretty funny for you to say this.
Pretty funny you have nothing to say excepting indirectly implying things.
Green Platinum
Well you did clearly miss the point of my post before. Your hatred for the left has left you blind. There is no point.
B1rd
No, you're just using lame excuses to avoid to confronting anything thing I've said (as editing your post shows). If you're not going to actually address my arguments then you're just wasting my time.
Green Platinum
Haha
Aurani
I love such comparisons that both the left and the right come up with. Listen, the entirety of the USA is a shithole and everyone there is to blame. Not the whites, not the negros, not the yellows. It's about their national culture being completely fucked up. From the way they raise their children to the way they function as humans - just fucked up.
Such mentality is slowly creeping up to Europe, where old traditions and life are being replaced by feces.

Traditionalism > cancer
DaddyCoolVipper
show more