forum

[invalid] Better visibility for new messages

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
mastaa_p
I propose something very simple: some sort of indicator for new messages in the chat window. As someone who likes to use the chat system, I often miss when friends send me messages because the only indicator is a purple box that pops up in game for a second. Not to say this system doesn't work, but I often forget to check and then notice the new message just to feel like a jerk when it has been 5 minutes or more before I have replied.

This is just an example, really anything to differentiate it from channels without new messages would be helpful.

current system:

proposal:
Full Tablet
The tabs are already a brighter color when they have new messages.
Topic Starter
mastaa_p

Full Tablet wrote:

Are you sure about that? I've actually never noticed, or it simply fades away. Either way, the problem is only really noticeable in multiplayer. Playing a game with one group of people while trying to have a conversation with someone else is tough without something to indicate that they have sent a new message. Or if the tab does shine a new color, having it persist until the message is viewed would be helpful.
Bauxe
:oops:

mastaa_p wrote:

Full Tablet wrote:

Are you sure about that? I've actually never noticed, or it simply fades away. Either way, the problem is only really noticeable in multiplayer. Playing a game with one group of people while trying to have a conversation with someone else is tough without something to indicate that they have sent a new message. Or if the tab does shine a new color, having it persist until the message is viewed would be helpful.

New message in #english but not in #help

And it applies for messages too.

And it stays until they are read.
Yukiteru Amano
Love your idea :) current system is ok but it's hard to tell those colours apart.

Or they could make it so it changes colour too something that isn't blue when you get a message.
Topic Starter
mastaa_p

Bauxe wrote:

New message in #english but not in #help

And it applies for messages too.

And it stays until they are read.
Fair enough, I guess I didn't notice them but that kind of serves to strengthen my argument for a better system. The fact that I can play this game almost every day and not notice that kind of proves that you have to be looking for it to notice. Have to agree with Yukiteru Amano, a color change would be just as effective. I think the problem is that it updates like that for all channels, including #osu, which has a new message constantly. The thing that I really would like to see is a noticeable change for the private messages (player-to-player) that is different from the one for big chat channels with tons of people on it.

Also if I'm understanding the forums correctly, this request will go unnoticed if it isn't a)voted up or b)noticed by a mod.
deadbeat
it's only been 7 hours. gimmie some time. D:
also i believe there have been a few related requests. i'll have a look
Kurokami
I think it is recognizable enough currently. I don't think its really necessary to change it. o.o
Oinari-sama
I wouldn't mind having differnet coloured tabs for pm (eg red + bright red). Channels can stay as blue + bright blue.
Flanster
Pay more attention to the tabs.
Stefan
t/37838 is a better solution and attracts more, I'd go with this idea.