forum

[duplicate] More time signatures? (9/4, 7/8...)

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +1
Topic Starter
Ophthalmologist
So, I have a problem mapping songs with complex time signatures (9/4, 11/4 etc.) because osu! doesn't support such signatures (the maximum is 7/4). Also there are a lot of songs with signatures like 4/8, 6/8 etc. and it's no problem if the numerator is even, like 8/8 = 4/4, 10/8 = 5/4. But if the numerator is odd, then it's not possible: 5/8 = 2.5/4, 11/8 = 5.5/4, and I have to double the BPM so 8 notes become 4 notes. I think it would be much easier if mapper could choose any numerator from 2 to 20 (yes, 19/4 is possible) and any denominator which is a power of 2 until 16: 2, 4, 8, 16 (though, there are songs with time signatures like 23/12 and such, but this is rare and may be too complex). I think the limit should be 16 because 32-s are rarely used as a signature-defining note length.
Endaris
osu! is not really meant to accurately express feelings by having felt and bpm-related timings like 2/2 vs 4/4. It doesn't matter for the player whether he plays with a 5/4 time signature or 5/8 because he can't see it.
I don't disagree with you in particular because it's kind of stupid that everything has to be relative to 4 but I don't see a terrible need for this as it is rarely ever applicable.
Personally I don't know any song with a prime number above 7 as numerator and no song with a denominator higher than 8, so well...
Bara-
t/279439?hilit=Time+signature
9/4 is already possible, via manually editing the .osu file
Topic Starter
Ophthalmologist

Endaris wrote:

osu! is not really meant to accurately express feelings by having felt and bpm-related timings like 2/2 vs 4/4. It doesn't matter for the player whether he plays with a 5/4 time signature or 5/8 because he can't see it.
I don't disagree with you in particular because it's kind of stupid that everything has to be relative to 4 but I don't see a terrible need for this as it is rarely ever applicable.
Personally I don't know any song with a prime number above 7 as numerator and no song with a denominator higher than 8, so well...
Well, BPM affects SV, and in taiko (I'm a taiko mapper) it may be too high, so I have to change SV, and if there are multiple tempos/signatures then everything gets complex and not pleasant to do.
About songs:
Dream Theater – Home, for example, has 19/16 in the ending part.
Mahavishnu Orchestra - Celestial Terrestrial Commuters is 19/16 for most part of the song (maybe not the best choice of a song to map, but still)
(these two are first things that came to mind, just for example)
Topic Starter
Ophthalmologist

Baraatje123 wrote:

https://osu.ppy.sh/forum/t/279439?hilit=Time+signature
9/4 is already possible, via manually editing the .osu file
Oh, I searched for "time signature", but haven't found anything. Thanks.