forum

Summer 2015 Anime First Impressions Chart

posted
Total Posts
show more
Green Platinum
But no review thread? Surely the opinions of shows people have finished are more reliable than ones made after 1-3 episodes.
Justykanna
Hopefully will be able to check out some new anime this season. =)
Navizel
Here's to hoping Charlotte won't be Glasslip v2.0. Looking forward to God Eater cause ufotable and Monster Musume cause, well... monster girls. Also, new Working and Non Non Biyori season.
Green Platinum
TLRD2 will probably be the worst TLR series yet
DBC will die much like SMC since it is dependant on nostagia
Wont be surprised if Working and Non Non Biyori begin to feel stale much like Kiniro Mosaic
It's the summer series and I've seen enough to know that getting excited for anything is a bad idea
xxdeathx
To Love Ru and Yuru Yuri might have nice songs to map, if previous season are any indication. Don't know about anything else yet.
Green Platinum

xxdeathx wrote:

To Love Ru and Yuru Yuri might have nice songs to map, if previous season are any indication. Don't know about anything else yet.
lol what? TLR themes have never been that way. MORE&MORE is a character song before anyone mentions that.
Topic Starter
Kyonko Hizara

Green Platinum wrote:

But no review thread? Surely the opinions of shows people have finished are more reliable than ones made after 1-3 episodes.
You mean reviews from last season? You'll have to ask bliss about that
blissfulyoshi
I guess I'll make a small thread when I get back home.
AmaiHachimitsu
Probably the worst season 2015 incoming.

Gangsta has a chance (only a chance)
God Eater is made by ufotable (but still it's gonna probably be a crap without plot) so I'll watch it.
Working!!! - I don't like it as much, but it's probably the conclusion so I'm gonna watch this.
lemonguy
Glad this thread was made, because I have literally no expectations for this season as of right now.
Topic Starter
Kyonko Hizara

Gekido- wrote:

Glad this thread was made, because I have literally no expectations for this season as of right now.
Bring on the reds then :U

I'm watching a lot for hopes that a few will survive
blissfulyoshi
I'm really looking forward to this season personally. Symphogear and Illya easily makes this the season I look forward most to this year (nothing short of Lovelive Sunshine getting an anime this year can probably top it).

I've some hope for Overlord (the CG in the trailer has me a bit scared but I love the series)
Gangsta's pv looks nice animation wise, but I never liked the plot that much for the series.
Monster Musume's pv sadly looks pretty low budget.
Well at least there is plenty of Silver Link to make me happy.
totekingsg1
I haven't decided which animes I'm gonna watch jet. Only Charlotte caught my attention, so I'll probably stick to it.
Renevant
Im gonna be watching TLR and Non Non Biyori for sure. I don't expect much from TLR, but i wanna see how it'll align with the manga. I will likely also be watching Charlotte, since its done by KEY.
Topic Starter
Kyonko Hizara
The biggest struggle of new series starting is waiting for the subtitles.
Lanturn
My plans are:

SPOILER
Chaos Dragon: That opening is pretty bad-ass (same singer from Isshuukan Friends) and war anime can usually be a hit or miss. It seems like it could be a hit.. or at least I'm hoping.

Charlotte: I'll probably end up watching the standard 3-4 episodes of it. It feels like something I'll take interest in at first but I'll eventually forget about it and I won't finish it.

Dragon Ball Chou: Dragon Ball has always been a part of my life. A must watch for me, and will be a weekly ritual.

Fate/kaleid liner: I'll wait for this to finish, and then watch all the episodes in a row. I did it with the first season and I ended up enjoying this!

Gate: I'm really looking forward to watching this. I'm a sucker for cross-world medieval/modern shows.

Monster Musume: I have no idea what to expect, but I have a feeling this one is going to be pretty bad, but I'll still watch it anyways... and probably enjoy it in the end. depends how much the fanservice ruins it though.

Overlord: Will this be my RPG I wanted? Either this or Gate anyways. Will definitely watch this.

Senki Zesshou Symphog...; Oh wait.. I still haven't finished the second season yet, guess this will be on hold.

To LOVE-Ru Darkness 2nd: All my yes. I've been waiting for more To LOVE-Ru!

Lots of shows to check out anyways, Hoping this summer will be interesting :)
Green Platinum
Monster Musume's manga is pretty overrated, I've read like 2-3 volumes worth I think and I just don't get the appeal.
TLRD2's image is 'brainwashed' yami which means this series has plot which is a bad thing for TLR in general
I've always preferred the first Fate/kaleid manga and anime too. 2wei is just missing something
Rio-
I'm planning to watch Charlotte, Gate, To Love-Ru, and God Eater for now...

probably will watch another shows later after I get more impressions to watch them
Navizel
Gangsta. - Off to a great start already. It seemed a bit slow but steady. The soundtrack is great. The animation looks alright, nothing spectacular. The no censorship is a bonus too.

Okusama ga Seitokaichou - This is the series that will replace Danna ga Nani something something it seems. I guess the fanservice was to be expected since Seven has made some 18+ works with Pink Pineapple. Generic and subpar story combined with lame fanservice. Meh. That being said, the animation quality is surprisingly good but unfortunately not enough to save the horrible premise.
blissfulyoshi
Okusama ga Seitokaichou: What was a comedic manga became a fanservice focuses thing with very little humor (I don't recall the manga having anywhere near that level of fanservice). As an aside, as Nazviel said, the animation was suprisingly decent for a short
Green Platinum
Okusama ga Seitokaichou: About as good as I'd expect from a series that couldn't get a 20 minute timeslot

Gangsta: Does everything a first episode should, this series should go well.

Ranpo Kitan - Game of Laplace: Really too much is unknown to make any calls at this point. Seems unique so it shouldn't be overshadowed by another similar series
blissfulyoshi
Ranpo Kitan - Game of Laplace: It is hard for me to rate mystery series by their first eps, but I feel their logic about accomplice being quite difficult to follow. I feel giving clues and deductions clearly is paramount for a mystery series. On the aniamtion side adding on the really awkward real life like backgrounds and enlarged textues, made every character feel out of place and created a disjoint work. You could call it stylistic, but it felt like it was focusing my eyes to change focus in completely pointless ways.

Gangsta:
Very nice intro ep introducing all the major characters and the setting they live in. Admittedly they did go out of their ways to introduce the families which aren't supposed to be introduced till much later, but they did a good job there.
Topic Starter
Kyonko Hizara
Gangsta: The quality was decent, nothing too great but it wasn't bad either. It wasn't too fast of a first episode and did a nice job to set up characters and environment.
Lanturn
Gangsta: Not bad. It had good pacing, and the animation was solid. The question for me is if they can hold the quality into the next few episodes. Also I loved the ED theme a more than the opening. It's kinda nice knowing that we might get an Annabel map sometime soon.

Okusama ga Seitokaichou!: Am I the only one who thinks they used the wrong seiyuu for the MC girl? Nothing really stood out for me anyways. Don't really see a point in watching this since other shows could easily provide better fanservice if I wanted it... and I'll probably get it better through To Love Ru (and maybe monster musume??)

Ranpo Kitan: Game of Lapras: So it was alright. Definitely doesn't have any special charm to it. I really disliked the OP theme, but the ending wasn't horrible. I might give it one more episode, but I don't think I'll be sticking with this.

Gate: A bit too censored, and a bit of a slow start. I'm still undecided if I like the MC as well. Definitely need to watch episode 2 before I decide how much I like it. If you haven't watched it yet, then I suggest holding off for a week. Anyways... The micro transaction part was funny and the animation minus the censored battles was decent enough. All the seiyuu's seem to be in place as well. Definitely not bad.

Time to watch more...
blissfulyoshi
Symphogear GX: (watched the raws) I thought I was hyped enough for this show, but I was sadly not. Super crazy intro, amazingly animated concert, and a decent battle scene. So 4 new songs and even a new transformation scene. This went way beyond my expectation.
Topic Starter
Kyonko Hizara

blissfulyoshi wrote:

Symphogear GX: (watched the raws) I thought I was hyped enough for this show, but I was sadly not. Super crazy intro, amazingly animated concert, and a decent battle scene. So 4 new songs and even a new transformation scene. This went way beyond my expectation.
*furiously waits for subtitles* It's an idol anime but I can't help but have the desire to watch it.

EDIT: The 2nd part of Little Witch Academia suddenly appeared. This was in the TBA section so idk where this came from.
blissfulyoshi
Little Witch Academia premiered at AX earlier today (didn't attend the screening though).

Oh well, will watch in a bit assuming I don't call asleep from these last few shows

Miss Monochrome S2:
Cheap, but sort of amusing robot jokes from Miss Monochrome. Nothing amazing, but I'll watch anotehr ep.

Gate: Jieitai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri: Despite how well most of it is animated, a 24minute short story with no drama, poorly animated action, very few jokes, and who knows what else, is bound to put people to sleep. I had so much hope for this show because it was A-1 making it, but I feel really let down.

Wakaba*Girl
A 4-koma that is not funny and badly animated, easy drop.

Edit: As a note, God Eater is making its premier at AX on Saturday night, so a high chance of a release going up for that too.
Green Platinum
Miss Monochrome S2: Yui Horie's autotuned voice is as obnoxious as ever. The opening theme is especially cacophonous. Like season 1 in structure.

Classroom Crisis : I really don't see this turning out amazing. Seems average.

Aoharu x Kikanjuu: The OP threw me off for a bit. Could be okay but survival game anime have never stood up very well and I think the rest will feel too similar to Ouran in nature. It will really need to step up it's game.

GATE: Lost me extremely quickly. At least they didn't keep heath bars or other gaming references.

Wakaba Girl: Cute, that's about it.
blissfulyoshi
Classroom☆Crisis: Idealistic yet naive MCs usually just make me angry, and this show is no exception. Tacking on an environment that obv is against his ideals, just made me hate the mc more. The few lackluster jokes couldn't save this show from my dislike.
Topic Starter
Kyonko Hizara
God Eater isn't scheduled to air for another week. The AX showing is prolly a special early showing of it then.
blissfulyoshi
Aoharu x Kikanjuu (Aoharu x Machinegun): Passably animated reverse harem for a tomboyish girl joining a survival game club. Jokes were pass.... yeah everything just seemed good enough to try another ep but not be amazed. Only interesting note is how much environment destruction there was. Door imprints, and ground breaking on the start of your foot movement...... this is not some cray shonen action series I thought.
Topic Starter
Kyonko Hizara
Symphogear GX: It's all bliss' fault that I like this. I normally don't like idol anime but I can get into fighting idols.

Little Witch Academia 2: A solid 7/10. Most of the problems I had with it is that the fps is below 15 and the pacing is way too fast at many points.
[ yogurt ]
Aoharu x Kikanjuu - By the OP I thought it was yaoi, but it's literally Tsugumi from Nisekoi and airsoft. It has potential for fun.

Classroom Crisis - What blissfulyoshi said. And there were jokes? Didn't notice them.

Gate - Needs more time. I really hope there will be catgirls. Pretty tuned down for a seinen.

Gangsta - Nick is moe. I've been waiting for gangster/mafia anime for quite some time now.

Gatchaman Crowds - S1 was fun, I hope it will be fun as well.

Symphogear GX - My life is SYMPHOGEAR.

To watch: Little Witch Academia, Wakaba Girl, Okusama wa Seitokaichou, Charlotte, Dandelion subs when?

Charlotte - MC is a dick, but looks like he's going to be straightened up. Satisfying 1st episode.

Wakaba Girl - I love cute SoL shorts.
Topic Starter
Kyonko Hizara

YOGURTOVSKY wrote:

Aoharu x Kikanjuu - By the OP I thought it was yaoi, but it's literally Tsugumi from Nisekoi and airsoft. It has potential for fun.

Classroom Crisis - What blissfulyoshi said. And there were jokes? Didn't notice them.

Gate - Needs more time. I really hope there will be catgirls. Pretty tuned down for a seinen.

Gangsta - Nick is moe. I've been waiting for gangster/mafia anime for quite some time now.

Gatchaman Crowds - S1 was fun, I hope it will be fun as well.

Symphogear GX - My life is SYMPHOGEAR.

To watch: Little Witch Academia, Wakaba Girl, Okusama wa Seitokaichou, Charlotte, Dandelion subs when?
I'm waiting to judge Gatchaman Crowds Insight until the actual first episode airs. The one shown was the intro and too much of it was recap for me to make any sort of impact for a first impression.
Faust
Gangsta:

Off to a good impression here. Enjoyed the pacing and the setting.
Nothing very outlandish, and pretty decent voice-acting on Nick's part !

Staying tuned.
meii18
Hetalia:The World Twinkle
The intro of this anime was very colorful for me,a lot of sparkles.Also the ending was awesome,even there's is a 'strange' dance.The part with rackets impresioned me at all, the countries in chibi style and their mochis...A great anime but unfortunately only 3 episodes were released
Topic Starter
Kyonko Hizara
Gatchaman Crowds: Insight: The actual first episode definitely left a better first impression on me than the intro episode did. Altho the art style is not extremely detailed, the simplicity of it holds up to that of the first season. The pacing didn't seem too fast or too slow, and the addition of the couple newer characters worked as well.

Working!!!: I fairly like the Working series, and the first episode held up to the charm of the previous seasons. 3 seasons may be over doing it a bit tho...

Aquarion Logos: Nothing too special so far. So far not holding up to the previous Aquarion series for me. I might change my mind later on.
Green Platinum
Charlotte: Interested in what direction this will take. No characters particularly appeal for the time being. The little sister gets on my nerves.

Rokka no Yuusha: The fights look great otherwise the plot seems pretty cut-and-dry.

Shimoneta: Completely nuts
Navizel
Ranpo Kitan: Game of Laplace - I don't really follow the logic in this show. The butterfly might be foreshadowing but for now, the two minutes of walking as intro was pointless. Stupid grayscale on almost all characters is annoying. Even the characters themselves are annoying. The main character is putting me off so much, both in attitude and appearance. Goddamn feminine features. Just make him a girl. His friend just looked like someone who is prying too much because of lack of background. Not going to continue this one. The fact that this show makes murder mysteries look fun and not serious/dark is another factor that put me off. Just like how NGNL made being a NEET look cool.

Classroom*Crisis - Utter boring. Feels like Rolling Girls except in space.

Wakaba*Girl - Unfunny slice of life short. Dropped.

Working!!! - Same old Wagnaria. Inami seems less annoying now. On the first episode at least. I wonder how long it will last.
Green Platinum

Navizel wrote:

The butterfly might be foreshadowing but for now, the two minutes of walking as intro was pointless.
I think the butterfly is there for the Butterfly effect and it's connection to Laplace's demon and the associated thought experiment. It's still a red flag nonetheless.
show more