forum

A few minor things

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
ash
Open Sliders-
Hard to explain: A slider that has no end. Just like a normal slider, but no end hit or sound. I've always wondered why this wasn't included (probably because the game is aiming to stick to traditional Ouendan and EBA as much as possible) but surely they would add a lot of variety in maps, and would provide lots of unique patterns and whatnot.

Editing mode additions-
Timing sections can control a lot already, so adding:
slider speed (unless an equation is set by the bpm to determine this or something, thus not enabling it to be changed);
slider tick;
and type of slider would give you even MORE control. I just thought it would be useful.
Also, in song setup, how come overall difficulty controls three options? Being able to set those options would be kinda useful too.

Filter played-
This way, you can see which songs you haven't played yet. o_o

Endless/Marathon Mode-
Beatmap after beatmap after beatmap...
Survival is definitely an option, as well as timed, and other stuff. It's not a fully formed idea yet, but it seems feasible.
(ranked/unranked play, and also multiplayer perhaps?)

Beatmap sorting ideas-
Why can't you have a pack of beatmaps that really belong as a pack rather than scattered everywhere? Also, I was wondering: why not make difficulty selection similar to StepMania, where you just press up-up or down-down to change the difficulty, rather than having the same song's difficulties be scattered and listed as completely different beatmaps? I mean, I KNOW they are completely different maps, but it's just weird. It's the same song.
I also thought showing a few statistics of the maps before playing it would be useful too.
Oh and, lastly: how about a preview bar? (Another option in design mode in editing, maybe)
Example:

The problem with these ideas, though, is that the current selection screen is crowded a bit, and there's nowhere to put them without further clogging an already-clogged drain, so to speak. I can see it's as condensed as it could ever be. A redesign wouldn't be too hard to do, though. The only issue I can think of is where to put the online stats. Hm. They could possibly scroll, or you could just change to local/online rankings with the buttons on top (you know, where you find the arrows to change the page of the online rankings). I'd love to give it a shot, honestly.

Rushed. It, of course, wouldn't look NEARLY this bad and unprofessional (hopefully, lol), but it works okay for a concept, right? :D

osu! community Frappr map-
It couldn't hurt! You could call it "Frappy" or something.

No video mod being optional in multiplayer-
The ability to turn on and off video should be on the player's end, not the decision of the host. Some people may want to view the video, and some may not.

Genre sorting-
...I'm sure this has been suggested before. :P
Gemi

Ash wrote:

Open Sliders-
Hard to explain: A slider that has no end. Just like a normal slider, but no end hit or sound. I've always wondered why this wasn't included (probably because the game is aiming to stick to traditional Ouendan and EBA as much as possible) but surely they would add a lot of variety in maps, and would provide lots of unique patterns and whatnot.
This I would like, since there are times that I'd like to use a slider to represent a long sound in the music, but I don't want the end sound of the slider since the long sound is fading away and doesn't end in a beat.

Ash wrote:

Filter played-
This is already in the game. Hover over the orange "selection options".

Ash wrote:

Endless/Marathon Mode-
Beatmap after beatmap after beatmap...
Survival is definitely an option, as well as timed, and other stuff. It's not a fully formed idea yet, but it seems feasible.
(ranked/unranked play, and also multiplayer perhaps?)
Suggested and planned, low priority.

Ash wrote:

Beatmap sorting ideas-
Why can't you have a pack of beatmaps that really belong as a pack rather than scattered everywhere?
You can organise the songs into subfolders in the "Songs" folder just like in StepMania, and there is a sorting option for those subfolders too, called "Folders".

Ash wrote:

Also, I was wondering: why not make difficulty selection similar to StepMania, where you just press up-up or down-down to change the difficulty, rather than having the same song's difficulties be scattered and listed as completely different beatmaps? I mean, I KNOW they are completely different maps, but it's just weird. It's the same song.
It's fine as is imo.

Ash wrote:

I also thought showing a few statistics of the maps before playing it would be useful too.
Top left corner shows some stats. There are some stats that I would like to see in addition to those though.

Ash wrote:

Oh and, lastly: how about a preview bar? (Another option in design mode in editing, maybe)
Naah.

Ash wrote:

osu! community Frappr map-
It couldn't hurt! You could call it "Frappy" or something.
Maybe peppy can do this with the players' location information gathered by osu?

Ash wrote:

Genre sorting-
...I'm sure this has been suggested before. :P
More sorting options won't be added before the sorting options are presented in another manner I think, since there really is no more room. I've suggested a couple of possibilities, but let's see if peppy does something about it at some point. There's lots to do so don't start waiting for it soon.
Topic Starter
ash

Gemi wrote:

Ash wrote:

Filter played-
This is already in the game. Hover over the orange "selection options".
I only see filter ranked, unranked, and unplayed. Is this wrong? o_o

Also, to add onto open sliders: the ability to have the hit open and the end closed would be cool too; to sort of slide into a slider could make for interesting gameplay, but I suppose the end hit would have to be the one that counts.
Saturos

Ash wrote:

I only see filter ranked, unranked, and unplayed. Is this wrong? o_o
Have you even tried them? Unplayed is the one you're looking for.

Also, open ended sliders fall basically in to the same boat as sliders with different start and end sounds, which has been suggested numerous times. I want to say it's planned, but it's most likely extremely low on the list.

Changing slider ticks per timing section is planned, but the rest I believe peppy is against doing.

Sorting will be reworked in the future to be less cluttered.

PS: Majority of these are not minor. ;x
Topic Starter
ash
Oh.

New suggestion: Alignment in edit mode
peppy
so much of what you ask for is already implemented.
i don't liek the ddr-esk layout you want, personally, but we'll see what happens.
you can already choose no video in multiplayer. did you even try.
you can already store a pack in a folder. it will be grouped in the folders view.
the difficulties ARENT displayed unless you select the group. have you even looked carefully? they will only be "scattered" in sort by difficulty view, as fully expected.
survival mode has already been mentioned, and is already on the "will be done at some point" list.
filter played is available as mentioned.
slider speed: no. read other feature requests (probably marked as rejected) as to why. i don't agree with this.
slider tick: on todo list - see other feature request.
type of slider? no idea what you mean.
open sliders would sound weird in my opinion, and i personally dont want them.
splitting overall difficulty has been mentioned, and i may do this at some point, but not now.

and yes my post is unreadable and answered in the opposite order to your original. but that's because i've already said most of the above countrless times before and this gets repetitive
Topic Starter
ash
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
RemmyX25

Ash wrote:

peppy wrote:

you can already choose no video in multiplayer. did you even try
that's not what I meant; the no video mod in multiplayer is either forced by the host or not, and different people have different computers, and different specifications and standings on whether or not they want the video playing in the background
example:
I, personally, like watching the videos in the background, but others might get lag or something
making it an OPTIONAL mod to use in multiplayer would allow everyone to set it to whatever they want
not a huge deal (low priority) but yeah
I'm with peppy. The option is already there, host or not. Any player can click the "Mod Options" button in Multi. Pay more attention before ranting off a bunch of ideas, most of which are ALREADY THERE
peppy
Don't apologise ash - just next time make an attempt to check something hasn't been mentioned beforehand before requesting something. It takes me quite a long time to read through these requests, which could be better spent coding or sleeping :).
Topic Starter
ash
Alright. I'll try to suggest something more feasible, then...

A lot of people have been mentioning this: How about an osu! media player? Now, what I mean is just a version of osu! that cuts out nearly everything except for the title screen music player. I'm suggesting this because it surprised me at how many people actually use osu! as a music player! It would only play songs from the songs folder. A bit MUCH, but still, I felt it needed to be suggested. I mean, osu! uses a bit of RAM and CPU power, so streamlining it would benefit a lot of people. If you could implement it into osu! as a "lite" option, that would be pretty cool, too. Unfortunately, I'd have no idea how to actually implement ANY of this. :|
Saturos
Search function is cool. Requested several times via irc + posts.
awp

Ash wrote:

I mean, osu! uses a bit of RAM and CPU power
8,000K is fuckall

wait, make that 15,000K in Editor.

15,000K is fuckall
zeldagamer00

Ash wrote:

Alright. I'll try to suggest something more feasible, then...

A lot of people have been mentioning this: How about an osu! media player? Now, what I mean is just a version of osu! that cuts out nearly everything except for the title screen music player. I'm suggesting this because it surprised me at how many people actually use osu! as a music player! It would only play songs from the songs folder. A bit MUCH, but still, I felt it needed to be suggested. I mean, osu! uses a bit of RAM and CPU power, so streamlining it would benefit a lot of people. If you could implement it into osu! as a "lite" option, that would be pretty cool, too. Unfortunately, I'd have no idea how to actually implement ANY of this. :|
Im one of those people that Ash mentioned :P
As for how to implement the media player: It could be winamp-ish or so, yet still retain the ability to play songs from your osu folder and external MP3s/OOGs (Like those in different folders besides osu)
awp
osu! can be used for a ton of things. A game, another game, a BPM calculator, an irc client (granted it only connects to one server), a jukebox - I've actually found use for it for exercise purposes.
peppy
osu! uses <1% cpu and <10mb ram when minimised, and not much more when visible. Sure, a media player version would be nice with a simplistic interface, but I'm sure you can survive without mentioning the system requirements in your argument.
Topic Starter
ash
Does Banchobot have an ignore function? If it doesn't...
Echo
Osu doesn't have an ignore option (afaik), but most irc clients do.