forum

Why you aren't improving at osu! "HOW DO I GET BETTER?!?!"

posted
Total Posts
show more
UsaraDark
osu! is a very challenging game both mentally and physically, and I think people forget that a lot.

I, too, have looked up ways of getting better and I realized that what I've read, I already know, because over about 4 months of playing, I already learned all of those tips, those hints, without the need of someone else telling me what to do. Being able to quickly adapt to mechanics of a game (especially this one) can be extremely hard if you don't have any experience with at least a few of the mechanics. I have a strong background if rhythm games, so adapting to osu! was relatively easy. If I were to play a game of Dota 2 right now, I'll tell you I suck balls, even if I have Gold Status on League, simply because the mechanics are different. Sure, I understand what cs and such is, but there's so many things changed, I just have to adapt.

If you're looking through the web, trying to figure out how to get better, I think you're better off by keep on playing the game, play the songs you like, play the songs that are catchy, and make it a challenge for yourself, keep it interesting. Even if you take a really long break, if you come back, you'll do fairly well and maybe even better with time.

Think if it like a RPG, you need experience to fight the bigger bosses, right? You don't need good equipment either since with +9001 stats to everything is enough to do the job. 8-)

Have fun!

Oh, and having a really nice, SIMPLE, skin would help a lot. A skin that doesn't take your eyes away from the oncoming notes but still looks nice and doesn't block the background.
Dingus
Starting to play osu! because it looked cool, it has almost been a year by now. As mentioned in the OP, you can't just get better immediately, but I learned that skins, settings, and assessment of your play can change your gameplay dramatically. Starting with a mouse before I got a tablet, although its definitely a step down in skill since I got a tablet, it is certainly not impossible to have the same results (playing with a mouse or tablet doesn't matter, there is technically no better equipment).

I hit a peak/wall of skill about a month ago and after trying to understand what I was doing wrong, I never noticed that my ranks and accuracy are around the 70-85% point even though I've been experienced in playing Insane or harder songs, I haven't gotten many A's. After putting more emphasis on trying to get 300's and improving accuracy it obviously came together with maintaining combos, and eventually I was able to FC a couple insane songs and get A's on the rest of them. That was how I got past my wall. If I were to add on with some snapping advice since it kinda ties alongside accuracy, I would say play a couple Insane songs with HD on (assuming you can do Insane). A good song to practice snapping on would be REANIMATE (praise the mapper! It is genius, must be ranked now! :) )

Although I think that equipment won't change much of your skill, after switching to a pen tablet, it definitely improved my play. Perhaps I was just getting tired of the movements on the mouse? That and my mouse keeps disconnecting every now and then. '

What I want to find out now, is how can I fix not being able to stream in a stable manner (Not sure how else I would put it), and spinners. Although it doesn't seem to be a problem for most people, and especially since spinning with a pen would be more pleasing in hand movements to me, I cannot for the life of me get past 280-300 spin speed, and the speed of my spins changes so drastically that I actually end up missing spins on a lot of songs, or getting 100's or 50's which kinda bothers me :o .
gavin898
nice post with good tips
To conclude, just play the song that you like and try harder difficulty that will challenge you.
Dont spam that difficulty if you really cant play it at the moment. Play it the next day and it might become easier.
SHYTMISS
Then i will ask you better and most difficult question. How do i exactly not control my hand manualy . Right i made few threads but i still play unsatisfied because my Accuracy can't be improved. Even if by % acc i can compete with players better than me every time i play song i don't feel SURE that i will hit next note and mostly i miss them. I can improve this feeling by taking manual control of hand.
"You can't read maps" - i surely can't ,but if i play same maps with just auto pilot i can manage to hit with 99+ acc ,but when it comes to play on tablet i just miss damn notes. I play everyday with 100 plays as minimum but when it comes to precision "Sniping" i don't see any improvement for almost one year.
I don't have constant feeling of hitting notes. One note i swing my hand too much another i don't even manage to snipe the center. <- this happens when i try just to play with relaxed hand. When i play with manual. My muscles are "clamped".
"focus on notes" - yeah i focus on notes but constant miss makes me pissed off (don't think bout hand control)
Simply i move my and consciously there is no way i can relax hand and play based on "muscle memory"
unstable rate mostly sit 120-150 range
havoc7777
Pretty good post, it's just a little bunched up together and it makes it look messy. :D
Accelar
This gaimu is hard.Scrub tier forever lol
shortpotato

GinKitsune wrote:

sakurahime-

GinKitsune wrote:

sakurahime-
 game is hard D:
ZenithPhantasm

-SnowShadow- wrote:

What about AR10.33? How can I improve myself in reading high approach rate? And not just "play more". I want to read any AR regardless of the situation. For example, play AR10.33 without any problems after long playing of AR8
Play AR11 and AR10.3 will look slow and ezpz
Yuudachi-kun

-SnowShadow- wrote:

What about AR10.33? How can I improve myself in reading high approach rate? And not just "play more". I want to read any AR regardless of the situation. For example, play AR10.33 without any problems after long playing of AR8
You have to literally play everything a lot. Don't AR 10.33 for a month straight then go back to AR9 and find you can't read it. Play everything all the time.
Rauf543
Y the op get ban'd? I feel sad-u now
ZenithPhantasm

Rauf543 wrote:

Y the op get ban'd? I feel sad-u now
Stay on topic pls
pandaBee

-SnowShadow- wrote:

The editor is your friend. Change the ars of your favorite maps/practice maps to something just slightly above what you're comfortable with, get used to that and then hitch it up again. Keep doing this and one day you will do the ar 10.33 8-]
keru
OD 10 + AR 10 = Better aim
E m i

Keru_kun wrote:

no
MrLights
thank you :)
keru

[ Momiji ] wrote:

Keru_kun wrote:

no
;_; whyu not
Yuudachi-kun
Playing harder maps = better aim
Barusamikosu

Keru_kun wrote:

;_; whyu not
OD and AR don't matter. Play maps that are aim intensive.
E m i
low ar is hard to aim >:(
i often miss CS2 when playing ez
Yuudachi-kun

[ Momiji ] wrote:

low ar is hard to aim >:(
i often miss CS2 when playing ez
Play more dragonforce maps.

That's like, cs5,ar8, and stream practice in one.
Partydance252
How many times do i have to tell you PRACTICE
Even though im not good at it, I practice :x :x :x :x :x :x :x
Barusamikosu

Partydance252 wrote:

Am I doing it right?
Yuudachi-kun

Partydance252 wrote:

Your plays per month tell me you don't do it enough.
Yolshka
I used to play harder beatmaps like... bottom insanes?(yeah hard for me)
What i mean by playing is staying alive,pass,not die,stop s@cking,(never happened)- yes, it was so much fun.Don't judge, wanna improve.
So that got me a whooping 80% accuary , wonderful isnt it?
That was around 380pp.
Then i started reading the forums, people told each other to play songs that you can FC to improve.
So then i started playing easier maps wich got me to ~600pp or something.
I was like : Wut? of course im doing better at them cuz they are easier, but im getting rewarded for that?
Then i realised i was bad at easy maps too.
k playing, practising, all cool man.
My accuary improved by like ~1.8%, and it felt like i was less horrible at them.

Went back to playing maps mentioned above... and i s@cked even more.

wtf m8

I know im being a BAKA!, but how can you tell whether or not you are improving?
Barusamikosu

ShadyAngel wrote:

Change your scoreboard to Local Scores and compare your new scores to your old ones.
ZenithPhantasm

Barusamikosu wrote:

ShadyAngel wrote:

Change your scoreboard to Local Scores and compare your new scores to your old ones.
You know you improved when you feel that you can do harder maps than you used to be able to. This is pretty obvious people.
Barusamikosu

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

You know you improved when you feel that you can do harder maps than you used to be able to. This is pretty obvious people.
That too. 8-)
I'll also add:

ShadyAngel wrote:

I used to play harder beatmaps like... bottom insanes?(yeah hard for me)...
So then i started playing easier maps wich got me to ~600pp or something...
My accuary improved by like ~1.8%, and it felt like i was less horrible at them...
Went back to playing maps mentioned above... and i s@cked even more...
As your reading ability improves, harder maps should start to become easier. If you're failing maps that you used to (barely) pass, it's probably because you're mashing less and reading more, so your old techniques (aka bad habits) aren't being used. Give it time and enjoy game.
E m i

Barusamikosu wrote:

If you're failing maps that you used to (barely) pass, it's probably because you're mashing less and reading more, so your old techniques (aka bad habits) aren't being used.
so that's why i'm skipping the 10th circle on a particular pattern in airman...
ProbablySombra
This is some great advice or inspiration or something :)
keru
Aim and Stream maps are perfect to get better. And in my experience trying to DT jump maps helps me aim and combo break less.
Shiyzo
i really wanna read this but im so lazy :(
Yolshka
Play more.
Actually play less, cuz i have played more and more and i became worse so obviously playing less will make me a god.
I just want to be #1 instantly to show off, with no effort. Is that too much to ask for!?

Barusamikosu wrote:

Captain i failed.
The break i took was longer than i thought.

What do i change where pls its embarassing
Barusamikosu
@ShadyAngel You're still getting PP, though. Keep playing maps that are fun for you and you will eventually build up some consistency.
Chinala

ShadyAngel wrote:

Play more.
Actually play less, cuz i have played more and more and i became worse so obviously playing less will make me a god.
I just want to be #1 instantly to show off, with no effort. Is that too much to ask for!?

Barusamikosu wrote:

Captain i failed.
The break i took was longer than i thought.

What do i change where pls its embarassing
Play for fun, not for the pp as I always say.
-sev

[Yoshinon] wrote:

Oh be careful, you might summon the wrath of the pp knights.
Chinala

Kaienyuu wrote:

[Yoshinon] wrote:

Oh be careful, you might summon the wrath of the pp knights.
I got my cross ready, where should I take refuge?
Yolshka
Oh, i play osu everytime i can.
I'm going to die peacefully while tapping circles.

As a side note, I never thought gaining more pp means direct improvent in performance, and that it refers to something more complicated.But maybe I'm wrong who knows.

Whatever, downloading all those hardcore 3.0 * beatmaps. :D
Barusamikosu

ShadyAngel wrote:

As a side note, I never thought gaining more pp means direct improvent in performance, and that it refers to something more complicated.But maybe I'm wrong who knows.
Getting PP can be a way of improving, or a result of improving, depending on how you play. Seeing new scores in your Top Ranks shows that you're at least playing the game, which is all that's needed really.

ShadyAngel wrote:

Whatever, downloading all those hardcore 3.0 * beatmaps. :D
Have fun :D
show more