show more
winber1
do a frustration
all nation can be win
Mezzaten
dont throw dream
ZenithPhantasm

winber1 wrote:

you should only one goal when you start osu! If you have any other goal, you are doing it wrong.

That one goal is to quit and stop playing this game
nooblet

winber1 wrote:

do a frustration
all nation can be win
as long as we have circles to click, no anger shall harm us
xasuma

Sayonara-Bye wrote:

"what do u think of crisis
even if situation is already crisis, they dont know that is crisis
but worse than before is
even if people know that is crisis, they dont do anything"
Sayonara-bye 2014.
-Atri-
Impossible.
Indra_old_1
Who said that he gave up his dream?
From my point of view he is still improving. :D
It's questioning if he will ever reach Cookiezi-Tier, but Woobo is on a good way.
Good luck, I hope to see some surprises here one day. :)
chainpullz
Hes just waiting for break to make a big push again probably. That's what I'm doing at least. Fucking finals...
B1rd
I think he gave up on being the next Cookiezi and is just going to become a high-ranking DT player.
Nyxa
That's kinda sad
He's a promising player
Topic Starter
Woobowiz

B1rd wrote:

I think he gave up on being the next Cookiezi and is just going to become a high-ranking DT player.

Tess wrote:

That's kinda sad
He's a promising player
This is the shit that makes rumors spread. Please stop, I already stated that I'm busy with class and work. Finals are near.
B1rd
I'm not saying that based on your recent activity, I'm basing in on what you've said. Or are you trying to be as good as Cookiezi?
Ash Marley
I don't think anyone can choose to be as good as cookiezi. Part of it is having the right parts of the brain that work way above average. A genetic aspect.
Saphirshroom

Ash Marley wrote:

I don't think anyone can choose to be as good as cookiezi. Part of it is having the right parts of the brain that work way above average. A genetic aspect.
No. At least not only. You are right that genetics also play quite a big part in that. The fact that no one gets close to cookiezi really does mean that he had very good genes for that.
Another huge factor is social acceptance though. It's no coincidence that so many South Korean pro players exist. Take LoL, take osu, take any game. South Korean people are always high up in the rankings, if not word's number one. "Over there", gaming is just accepted way more than it is in our culture.
Ash Marley

Saphirshroom wrote:

Ash Marley wrote:

No. At least not only. You are right that genetics also play quite a big part in that. The fact that no one gets close to cookiezi really does mean that he had very good genes for that.
Another huge factor is social acceptance though. It's no coincidence that so many South Korean pro players exist. Take LoL, take osu, take any game. South Korean people are always high up in the rankings, if not word's number one. "Over there", gaming is just accepted way more than it is in our culture.

I didn't say only. I said "part of it"

I don't think social acceptance has anything to do with it though. You could consider that asians may have that genetic advantage. You can look at the top players that are not korean who have a very high play count. Social stigma is only with a tiny percentage of gamers, so it's negligible and only relevant to people who rarely play.
Treatzza
I just started playing this game also about 3 days ago. I didn't want to get into because it looked like a game that would have to much of a skill cap for me that I wouldn't be able to learn how to play it without struggling. This is what happened to me when I tried to play StepMania. I quickly gave up on that game because of it. I asked people on forums how long it would take me to become good at this game. They told me it would take several months to get at least relatively good and a couple years to be considered pro. I was a huge fan of EBA so I would watch videos of Osu related games online until I saw someone named Cookiezi. The way he played, how good he was just captivated me in making me really want to play this game.
I thought I couldn't do it but I finally decided to give it a try. Day 1 felt easy to me. I was clearing all the songs with S's and A's that i heard other beginners couldn't even do or if they did, they would get C's. I thought I had a knack for this so I kept going. Day two, I got my first SS on a normal song. I started picking up on XYX key presses and got relatively faster with my progression. I was really enjoying this game. Day three (today) it was becoming easier for me to complete hard songs, though I havn't received anything higher than an A grade yet. Still trying. Notes become easier to read, I was hearing beats more clearly and not just tapping X/Y carelessly. I switched to a skin that added a lot more clarity to the game. I was now able to make no less than an A with songs on normal difficulty or lower. I was getting better each day and fast and it felt great but I was still struggling with high speed streams in later levels and got scared if my rampage was about to end.

I then saw you and noticed that there was someone else who was also heavily inspired by the same person as me and was going through the ranks fast. I noticed that you made it into the top 1600 players (top 120 in the US) in about 10 months and was really happy that someone could get this good at the game if they take the right steps. Seeing someone beat Big Black with no more than a year of play just captivated me and now I'm more eager to push on.
What I'm saying is that I know it's a bit late but I'll definitely be rooting for you to get up the leader boards. Also, it would be great if you had pointers for challenging songs and how it helped you get through them.

Thanks a lot.
cheezstik

Treatzza wrote:

I then saw you and noticed that there was someone else who was also heavily inspired by the same person as me and was going through the ranks fast. I noticed that you made it into the top 1600 players (top 120 in the US) in about 10 months and was really happy that someone could get this good at the game if they take the right steps. Seeing someone beat Big Black with no more than a year of play just captivated me and now I'm more eager to push on.
His fastest ranking (before he slowed down) is actually top #3000 in 6 months I think, which is pretty damn impressive imo. Also, a big black pass in a year of average playcount really isn't that impressive. Someone that's really impressive for a year, and probably fastest progression (to the point where he constantly gets accused of cheating) is Rafis.
Vuelo Eluko

cheezstik wrote:

Treatzza wrote:

His fastest ranking (before he slowed down) is actually top #3000 in 6 months I think, which is pretty damn impressive imo. Also, a big black pass in a year of average playcount really isn't that impressive. Someone that's really impressive for a year, and probably fastest progression (to the point where he constantly gets accused of cheating) is Rafis.
Niko wouldn't cheat.
Topic Starter
Woobowiz

Riince wrote:

Niko wouldn't cheat.
Rafis is the latest and greatest addition to my Magical Girl figurine box set. Still mint.

On a different note, even though I'm also guilty of joking about the whole "Asian genetics" stereotype for gaming, it's pretty clear from all of the talent we see from even OWC that there's far more to it than just genetics. All of the players invested a respectable amount of time and effort to this game.

And some of you still don't know, but I am in fact Korean-American. Take whatever you want from that statement, but that alone shouldn't change any opinions okay?
chainpullz
I mean with 96k playcount in a single year I'd hope he would progress pretty fast. It takes most people like 3 years to accumulate that many plays and 96k plays in a year is far better for improvement than 96k plays over 3 years.
Gumpy
Asians just have more people who play rhythm games.
Vuelo Eluko

chainpullz wrote:

96k plays in a year is far better for improvement than 96k plays over 3 years.
Depends on a lot of factors. how many were retries/on easy maps? were they forcing themselves to play that much and only didnt burn out because of willpower and a lack of a full time job? or was it actually enjoyable, etc

if someone actually did 3 years worth of playing in 1 while actually having fun then yeah it probably would be better
sayonara_sekai
how do I have fun
chainpullz

phonics wrote:

how do I have fun
If you're asking that question, you might consider consulting a doctor.
winber1
420 blaze it
I Give Up

Treatzza wrote:

dw if you are bad like me you can get 3000pp in 6 months just play more.
Nyxa

Woobowiz wrote:

On a different note, even though I'm also guilty of joking about the whole "Asian genetics" stereotype for gaming, it's pretty clear from all of the talent we see from even OWC that there's far more to it than just genetics. All of the players invested a respectable amount of time and effort to this game.
I think it's mostly that Western people tend to be lazy spoiled shits and Asians can also be lazy but they're generally known to be disciplined people and hard workers

So it would make sense that there are more good Eastern players than Western players because there will be less Eastern players going "omg i suck this game sucks peppy sucks rafis is a h4cker" and actually practicing. I'm not entirely certain if this "eastern people tend to be more disciplined" thing is just a false stereotype or not but it makes sense to me. Western people are always whining because they want to gain lots of skill with little effort. I don't see Easterners doing that as often.
Ash Marley
Quite a few of the front page asian players have only played about 2 years, and some with a play count of 40k-70k. I'm not sure if that's a impressive or not. Just thought I'd point it out.
Nyxa
Refer back to what I said about practice methods mattering more than the amount of practice
Ash Marley

Tess wrote:

Refer back to what I said about practice methods mattering more than the amount of practice

I did, but that's based on assumptions.
cheezstik

Ash Marley wrote:

Tess wrote:

I did, but that's based on assumptions.
It's assumption, but it seems kinda reasonable and logical, kinda like the saying "quality over quantity". Even if someone played for 10 hours mindlessly mashing stuff that is too hard with no-fail on, or playing only easy maps, they probably wouldn't improve as much as someone that played for 5 hours playing actual material that will improve them.
Nyxa
It's not really assumption considering that I've spent months trying out different practice methods and have found some to result in faster progress than others consistently, no matter in what stage of skill I was. So the only thing I'm assuming here is that a fact that applied to me will also apply to others

Perhaps you shouldn't have assumed that I was assuming more than you assumed I'd assume
Ash Marley
I'm not sure how much of the following is 100% accurate, though I looked for reliable sources only. This is just what I found researching around the web. It's just something to think about. It has always been a big topic of debate about genetics and is argued for and against amongst the scientific community. No conclusive answer.

Visuospatial Perception: "it underlies our ability to move around in an environment and orient ourselves appropriately. Visuospatial perception is also involved in our ability to accurately reach for objects in our visual field and our ability to shift our gaze to different points in space." (1)

"North East Asians have tended to score relatively higher on visuospatial subtests with lower scores in verbal subtests while Ashkenazi Jews score higher in verbal and reasoning subtests with lower scores in visuospatial subtests." (2)

"East Asian children adopted by families of the European genetic clustering show higher median IQ’s than the nonadopted children of families of the European genetic clustering." - (so white parents who adopted an east asian child still results in higher IQ of the child).
"Arctic people, East Asians, Australian Aborigines and American Indians all have an elevated visual memory IQ." (3)

Reaction time: "When the results from different tasks are combined, as is also done in IQ tests, the correlation between IQ and reaction time is 0.6-0.7. Racial differences are found consistent with those from IQ testing. Just as for IQ these racial differences are largest on the tasks that best measure the g factor." - (So higher IQ correlates with a higher reaction time? I'm not sure if interpreted that correctly). (4)

(1) http://penta.ufrgs.br/edu/telelab/3/visuospe.htm
(2) http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1 ... 8D3.f04t02
(3) http://majorityrights.com/weblog/comments/iq_matters --- (originally referenced from Richard Lynn’s Race Differences in Intelligence)
(4) http://benthamopen.com/openaccess.php?t ... TOPSYJ.htm
E m i

Ash Marley wrote:

genetics
it would seem that high quality humans tend to have high quality offspring
but do not worry, even if we have lost the genetical lottery, we can still become good at clicking circles if we dedicate our life to it.
i really want to be good at clicking circles.
nrl
i maed an oopsie
Nyxa
It's nice how there's no value to that post other than trying to find something about me you can nitpick on
nrl
Never mind, I misread you.

I'll still challenge the notion that practice methods matter more than practice time though.
Nyxa
Sure, how do you challenge them? Practice time is clearly important, since without it, you can't employ your methods, but if your methods aren't right, then your time will be wasted.

They're reliant of each other, but the methods used are crucial for higher efficiency (and thus productivity) with practice.
nrl
I challenge the claim that one of the two is objectively more important than the other, and even if you want to assume one is more important for the sake of discussion I'll challenge the claim that we have the ability to determine which is which; neither can exist in a vacuum, and we have no way to quantify the two in terms of each other, so comparison is impossible. I'll also challenge the value in determining which is more important on the grounds that the method new players gravitate towards, playing anything and everything basically at random, is close enough to optimal that the impact of such a determination would be negligible.
chainpullz
I posit that you should just practice more and practice right and call it a day. Also, Narrill brings up good points, even if they completely degenerate the discussion.
show more