forum

Allow to use different Approach Rates in map

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +1,210
show more
Alarido
It seems to be a good idea (: but ONLY in real BPM changes. Thus, it would be available just for red lines (that ones that set BPM sections). And such things feels doing work well on drastic BPM changes only. Or in gradual increasing/decreasing BPMs.
Anonym
i don´t think this may aproved,imagine, 3 hits with diferents ARs,It´s like put a normal and a insane map in the same map,If this go to osu i may be only allowed to Insane maps
Bara-
I like this
For calm parts you can use 7.5-8, and for faster parts you can use 9-10 (For example Yousei Teikoku - Wahrheit)
Also this would work well for marathoncompilations and such :D
Mismagius
now that I look at it again, the only useful thing about this seems to be marathons or songs that heavily change their style.
Kibbleru

Blue Dragon wrote:

now that I look at it again, the only useful thing about this seems to be marathons or songs that heavily change their style.
yeah, especially for song compilations where there is a heavy change in bpm, the ability to change AR to that will be definitely useful.

although, i CAN see people abusing this function though and there will need to be new set rules in order to prevent that.
Rokk
I'm rather torn on this one. This could potentially be very bad if it was abused. Should be used very sparingly, and only if very appropriate. Would throw me off even more than SB's suddenly starting to strobe.
Gumpy
4 years...
Stefan

Kibbleru wrote:

Blue Dragon wrote:

yeah, especially for song compilations where there is a heavy change in bpm, the ability to change AR to that will be definitely useful.

although, i CAN see people abusing this function though and there will need to be new set rules in order to prevent that.
We could set a rule where it's only allowed to use this for Compilations with at least four different songs. To prevent this being used in normal maps.
Granger

Stefan wrote:

We could set a rule where it's only allowed to use this for Compilations with at least four different songs. To prevent this being used in normal maps.
4 different songs doesnt make sense, it should be min 2 different songs at a BPM difference that calls for different ARs. Or maybe just a high enough BPM change in one beatmap.

Imagine a "compilation" with one 100 BPM song and one 300 BPM song, on the other hand, 4 different songs all within the 200-250 bpm range probably dont need different ARs.

Also speaking only with ctb gameplay in mind, i think various BPMs in one map, for instance a series of stong beats falling faster than other weaker beats would be fun.
Stefan

Granger wrote:

Stefan wrote:

4 different songs doesnt make sense, it should be min 2 different songs at a BPM difference that calls for different ARs. Or maybe just a high enough BPM change in one beatmap.

Imagine a "compilation" with one 100 BPM song and one 300 BPM song, on the other hand, 4 different songs all within the 200-250 bpm range probably dont need different ARs.
That's actually common sense to notice a difference between 200-250 and 100-300 BPM so people probably won't change the AR every 30 seconds in case the song changes after 30 seconds.
Granger

Stefan wrote:

Granger wrote:

That's actually common sense to notice a difference between 200-250 and 100-300 BPM so people probably won't change the AR every 30 seconds in case the song changes after 30 seconds.
Right, however thats not the point i want to make, i am saying that your rule wording wouldnt allow a compilation with 100/300 BPM and 2 songs to use this, while this is one of the few things where different ARs would be usefull.
Lin-Kun
I... don't know about this... it could also be used in osu! mania though, sorta like freezes and slow downs in DDR.
Flower
A good example from other game: Tone sphere. The AR-changed note has a special effect to make player distinguish it from normal notes.

The ranking criteria will be very hard to amend according to this change.
Kodora

Stefan wrote:

Dont forget that some songs may have really extreme bpm jumps by themselves.

Example: https://osu.ppy.sh/s/169858

I can't find any single AR working great here.
Vuelo Eluko

Kitsunemimi wrote:

No because if we had this, it would be totally disorienting and unnecessary.
Mania players get along fine with it.
ikzune
the way i see it is people make ar the way they want it for a reason when making their map, you dont really need to edit ar for standard osu and ctb mods like that, i think only in mania currently changing ar is something that should remain, this in other modes would be like taking the difficulty out of a map where as in mania its just for different playstyles honestly two ways i belive it should go is either this gets implemented and you get score deduction for using lower ar maybe even a higher score for higher ar or this doesnt get implemented and you can simply edit a song and make it unranked quickly
Bara-

laishiou wrote:

the way i see it is people make ar the way they want it for a reason when making their map, you dont really need to edit ar for standard osu and ctb mods like that, i think only in mania currently changing ar is something that should remain, this in other modes would be like taking the difficulty out of a map where as in mania its just for different playstyles honestly two ways i belive it should go is either this gets implemented and you get score deduction for using lower ar maybe even a higher score for higher ar or this doesnt get implemented and you can simply edit a song and make it unranked quickly
Lolwut?
It's for the mapper ya know?
That they be able to switch AR between parts
Not for a player who wants to get other AR

Also, I think you can only use it in compilations or maps with big changes (Wahrheit, deltaMAX etc.)
Also, limit to 1.5 change to prevent abuse
So for insanes it's between 8 and 9.5. if you set an ar, you can only change it not too much
Drafura
Would be the best feature for std and ctb to implement.
formi
This will make sight-reading nearly impossible,
please don't make standard maps even more weird!
haha5957

formi wrote:

This will make sight-reading nearly impossible,
please don't make standard maps even more weird!

I don't undersstand, you can already troll with SV and AR10 or whatever you might think, but those kind of maps are just UNRANKABLE and will not be ranked in any future unless it makes sense. Don't add cuz it will make sightreading impossible? well, they will not be ranked if it is not sightreadable.

Don't imagine super random AR changing maps will get ranked, they will not be, but this would be great feature with some maps that have calm moment but 9 or higher AR.

think of begining parts of image material, they honestly feel very terrible untill it gets to actual "hard" parts
Natteke desu
honestly it will be interesting, but with that thing RC should be changed(deeply changed immo), moreover, it's a huge chance of overusing or inappropriate using of that. Also player should be warned about ar change for sure (some kind of flashy effect for example) what can be a reason of fps drop and blame
well, as player i'd say no, but as mapper... it will be really cool gear to emphazising things
drum drum

EvilElvis wrote:

honestly it will be interesting, but with that thing RC should be changed(deeply changed immo), moreover, it's a huge chance of overusing or inappropriate using of that. Also player should be warned about ar change for sure (some kind of flashy effect for example) what can be a reason of fps drop and blame
well, as player i'd say no, but as mapper... it will be really cool gear to emphazising things
...but as a player...
[Kami]
Support this!!
BlackMidKnight
But I guess when the AR is changed, if implemented, the score multiplier must be also. Just like changing the keys on o!m (4K, 5K, 6K...)
Granger

BlackMidKnight wrote:

But I guess when the AR is changed, if implemented, the score multiplier must be also. Just like changing the keys on o!m (4K, 5K, 6K...)
Why should the multiplier change if the mapper decides to use different ARs in a map? Whats the point?
Bara-
Bump
I just came across this searching for an other thread
Time to bring this back up
GhostFrog
As nice as this would be (and it really would be nice), I'm afraid of what it would do to ranked maps if implemented. Ever since Toumei Elegy was dq'd because AR9.5 was deemed too low for it, I have no doubts that something like this would just be used as an excuse to force ranked maps to use excessively high AR in unfitting places. So...I *kinda* want this request to be implemented, but tbh I really don't :(

As a more clear summary of my feelings about this: Yes, please give this to us, it is a really good thing, but please also fix the ranking system to prevent this from sucking.
Dephix
Yes pls
DropPopCandy
I think a change in AR mid-song would be highly disorienting
shioty
No!

It can confuse players and give them lack of reactions
Bara-
Guys
Isn't it kinda obvious that maps which overuse it and get unreadable can NEVER get ranked?
Also, you disagree with slight changes (8-10), but it's fine for mania. If it's fine there, why can't it be here as well?
Also, huge SV changes are fine, but small AR changes are not? What the heck
ziin
https://osu.ppy.sh/s/48738
God this map sucks. It has multiple approach rates god it's terrible. Totally unplayable. Gah! Too confusing!
</sarcasm>
Dromadan
this kills the gameplay
Pituophis
plis no
Okoratu
Taiko uses it
Mania uses it

I see no reason why standard couldn't use it, that way you can fit the AR to the note density of each part of the song even better
xasuma
terrible idea. Please never implement.
out of all the ideas in this forum.. not this one devs .
Deva
No. No. No. Absolutely no. Its a terrible idea. It may seem like a cool idea but its not at all.
Okoratu
Explain why

Example you have a song that changes bpm from 210 to 160 in one section and then back to 210. It would make sense and the map easier to read if the AR for the 160 bpm part went down a bit compared to the 210 bpm part, but right now we are kind of forced to
either map the 210 bpm part in a way that requires not that high AR (the use of AR 9.5ish has become kinda common for that speed)
or map the 160 bpm part with high AR which can be kind of a pain to read.

so basically decimal ARs would solve that problem all that's needed is to block out rooms for abuse as in using this in an unreasonable way.

If you disagree then give me some reasons
Deva
1. Changing to lower AR at lower BPM would certainly make map easier to read/play but thats the very problem. Why the heck would you want to make easier something thats supposed to be hard? If you make something hard easy its not hard anymore and that makes no sense at all. Its the best the way it is.

There are other reasons but i wont point them out because probably nobody actually cares them and one i did point out is enough imo.
Yauxo

HK_ wrote:

Why the heck would you want to make easier something thats supposed to be hard? If you make something hard easy its not hard anymore and that makes no sense at all. Its the best the way it is.
Youre not mapping a song to make it difficult. You map a song because you probably like the music and would like to create something that you can share with other players. If a song is calm/slow at a section, then that section is not meant to be fucking hard. If it was, then the artist wouldnt have made it calm. Easy as that.
If it's a fast song, then it's its nature to be difficult on the highest difficulty.

Relevant for that
2c
show more