posted
Total Posts
show more
BeatofIke

B1rd wrote:

think I'll stick with 7.
This
Trash Boat
What happened to Windows 9? One just don't shoop da loop from 8 to 10 without passing by 9
ColdTooth
hmm

my school currently is using windows 8 (aswell as me and my parents), but i think this really looks like the same, just with "better" quality
Maiz94
Really looks like 8 but in new forms of arrangement. heh
Kyonko Hizara
Windows 9 was suppose to release in early 2015, but I'm not too sure what happened to it
Piine
Meh
KazmiSain
unofficially due to 3rd Party Libraries using somthing like: if (findString("Windows 9")) //its Windows 95 or 98 to detect if it's a Windows Version not supported any more, so if MS calls it Windows 9 lots of old, shitty code won't work any more and the effects can't be calculated.
Shigetora
How is playing osu in windowed mode on Windows 10? Is there same delay with cursor as there was with Windows 7 + Aero or with Windows 8?
AutoMedic

Trash Boat wrote:

What happened to Windows 9? One just don't shoop da loop from 8 to 10 without passing by 9
if valve can't count to three

then windows can't count to 9

oh btw sticking to my windows 7 until support ends.
OsuMe65
MS got 8.1 iirc
FrzR

MoF10 wrote:

im just wondering why they skipped nine
Rio-

B1rd wrote:

think I'll stick with 7.
Topic Starter
D33d

mm201 wrote:

Those icons are uuugly
I honestly like them, but maybe they could be saturated or softened a bit more. In any case, it's good that they're trying to consolidate their design language.

To all the people asking why they skipped 9, the marketing reason is that they wanted to differentiate Threshold from 8 as much as possible, while also using 10 to imply a huge milestone. However, a legitimate technical reason appears to be down to Java programming. Windows 9x versions had lines of code pointing to "Windows 9*," so there may have been a risk of creating legacy or broken code accidentally. 8.1 and its updates could also be regarded as Windows 9 in itself, given how much had changed.

For windowed osu, I get the feeling that the lag's less noticeable, but I might have been tricking myself. There definitely aren't any fullscreen problems anyway. The only certain way of knowing would probably be a side-by-side comparison, although I'm not skilled or gameplay-focused enough to tell well enough.

I think a surprisingly nice feature for windowed osu! is the narrow borders. Already, they look much less distracting and annoying during gameplay. The 1px width is just enough to divide the window from my wallpaper, so it doesn't even look too cluttered. The massive drop shadow also helps a lot.
BrokenArrow
I like the new icons, flat is justice.
Any official statements on whether Windows 8.1 users will get Windows 10 as a free update? Some websites say it's just a rumour while others say it's been confirmed (without giving sources)
TheNekoNextDoor

BrokenArrow wrote:

Any official statements on whether Windows 8.1 users will get Windows 10 as a free update? Some websites say it's just a rumour while others say it's been confirmed (without giving sources)
And I've heard rumors that it'll be free for users of 7 and below... o_o
Corin

TheNekoNextDoor wrote:

BrokenArrow wrote:

And I've heard rumors that it'll be free for users of 7 and below... o_o
8+
7 and bellow had the option to upgrade for a looong time.
Samui_old_1

MoF10 wrote:

They skipped 9 in order to prevent confusion between Windows 95 and 98.
Marcin

first person wrote:

second person wrote:

think I'll stick with xp.
said everyone after 7 release
IppE
Not really hyped, but if they show that they've fixed most of the glaring issues of win8 I might end up switching, but for now I'm sticking to win7 since I can get a licence for free.
Topic Starter
D33d
From what I've read, an official Indonesian or something head guy said it'd be a free 8 upgrade, while 7 users could upgrade for $30. If that is the case, then it sounds like a great deal--especially because there's an inbuilt factory reset option to effectively make it a clean install.

DEEDIT: Useful updates are already happening. Six keyboard shortcuts were added, with the most useful one being Ctrl + Win + Left/Right to switch between workspaces. If this is any indication of how slick things will be, the hype is going to be so fucking real.
Kraminka
It's about time that Windows got virtual desktops.

D33d wrote:

while 7 users could upgrade for $30.
I wasn't planning on getting 10, but if it's that cheap I may as well.
Senpoii

B1rd wrote:

think I'll stick with 7.
Topic Starter
D33d
See, I always knew that 8 wouldn't sway many people into ditching 7 and I only upgraded for shits and giggles and for the sake of trying something new (and legally having a properly activated OS). However, there really is a lot of change coming with 10 that should even have a lot of appeal to XP users. One of the reasons why I want to see these things progress is so that we're all on a better filesystem and that we can hopefully begin to say goodbye to full dependence on the broken and messy registry.

The way I see it, as long as users aren't roped into a subscription system that's a horrible ripoff, a lot will be right in this release. It seems that major versions will actually be ending at 10, with incremental updates happening frequently. It's quite interesting and I genuinely like the direction of everything now, 'cause frankly it seems that Microsoft are basically the ones who are driving all of this crazy all-in-one technology to exciting heights. If 10 really will be either cheap or free, then it'll be pretty much the best thing ever and Microsoft would still be raking it in from all of their OEMs and their own devices.
Nub1

MoF10 wrote:

on topic: the new icons looks better I guess
unko

Adicchi wrote:

MoF10 wrote:

le epic 9gag xDDDDD
this image is completely fucked though. how is windows 2000 bad? windows 2000 was one of the most reliable, hardcore versions (also xp is heavily based off it) but of course le maymay tards wouldn't understand that (also vista and 8 are good)

i fucking hate these stupid bandwagon posts
Trash Boat

Adicchi wrote:

MoF10 wrote:

kinda agree with this, yes
Granger
Hmm, win 10 looks good so far. I think the icons are ugly but thats nothing i cant fix easily. Just needs reshack and replacing the images~
Marcin

nookls wrote:

this image is completely fucked though. how is windows 2000 bad? windows 2000 was one of the most reliable, hardcore versions (also xp is heavily based off it) but of course le maymay tards wouldn't understand that (also vista and 8 are good)

nookls wrote:

(also vista and 8 are good)
Your avatar makes me giggle.

Also, i guess you never really used win 2000, that thing was loading good 5 minutes.

good 5 minutes
xGx

unko

Marcin wrote:

nookls wrote:

nookls wrote:

(also vista and 8 are good)
Your avatar makes me giggle.

Also, i guess you never really used win 2000, that thing was loading good 5 minutes.

good 5 minutes
vista is good, the reason it was such a flop at launch was because of 2 reasons. one was that it was cramped onto 1gb ram pentium 4-esque machines filled with bloatware and the other was bandwagoning. take a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mojave_Experiment

also, i used windows 2000 on a bloated machine with 64mb ram in 2009 and it actually ran fast as hell
Vuelo Eluko

Sonatora wrote:

Trash Boat wrote:

if valve can't count to three

then windows can't count to 9

oh btw sticking to my windows 7 until support ends.
im STILL sticking to XP fuck support
Marcin

nookls wrote:

vista is good, the reason it was such a flop at launch was because of 2 reasons. one was that it was cramped onto 1gb ram pentium 4-esque machines filled with bloatware and the other was bandwagoning. take a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mojave_Experiment

also, i used windows 2000 on a bloated machine with 64mb ram in 2009 and it actually ran fast as hell
It can be usable, sure, after installing all service packs it's pretty solid, still it's been forgotten and Microsoft just pushed toward 7 release which kinda made vista look like bad OS.

Also, I used win 2000 on old laptop with 128 mb ram and intel pentium 2 ... 500 mhz something? Not sure, I could make coffee while OS was loading, and when i came back it would still load (not even joking), but that could also be bad HDD (it didn't have any bad sectors though).

Either way I don't deny that windows 8 is good os despite all it's hate. It's loading times (yes i do know why it loads faster, but i also use ssd, it was fast with hdd too), core and everything is just smooth. And metro? I can't even notice it - you just type program of your wish in metro and you get it almost instantly (either if you have indexing on or ssd), you never really have to deal with it.

People sticking to windows xp? ewwww; no comment, use your unsupported OS.
TheNekoNextDoor

Adicchi wrote:

MoF10 wrote:

X''''D
BrokenArrow
lole xd
unko

Marcin wrote:

Also, I used win 2000 on old laptop with 128 mb ram and intel pentium 2 ... 500 mhz something? Not sure, I could make coffee while OS was loading, and when i came back it would still load (not even joking), but that could also be bad HDD (it didn't have any bad sectors though).
lol, that would probably explain it. my 2000 machine was a pentium 4; not sure why it only had 64mb though, probably downgraded at some point. the hard drive was still old though and the cpu was one of the early willamette p4s
Tacky

Adicchi wrote:

MoF10 wrote:

LOOOOL

I use Windows 8 tho *-*

Still, Windows 10 looking good so far
HaruryuuSan

Tacky wrote:

I use Windows 8 tho *-*

Rizumu Tenshi

Marcin wrote:

People sticking to windows xp? ewwww; no comment, use your unsupported OS.
I still have that Windows XP PC w/ a Pentium 4 and 1GB RAM, after an upgrade to 2.5GB RAM we installed Windows 8. And the RAM is screwed, the OS reads only 1.5 GB and it's still running good. Do not underestimate me.

MoF10 wrote:

Microsoft is running away from Windows 8. I swear I heard that somewhere on a tech news site like The Verge.

Harumi wrote:

Tacky wrote:

I use Windows 8 tho *-*

8.1 here
Wlesh
Looks promising enough to try it after the biggest bugs have been killed away and might even upgrade it to fully from my beloved 7.
Topic Starter
D33d

Marcin wrote:

nookls wrote:

Either way I don't deny that windows 8 is good os despite all it's hate. It's loading times (yes i do know why it loads faster, but i also use ssd, it was fast with hdd too), core and everything is just smooth. And metro? I can't even notice it - you just type program of your wish in metro and you get it almost instantly (either if you have indexing on or ssd), you never really have to deal with it.
8 was always great at its core, but the Modern stuff really did hobble its usability at times. The app snapping became really annoying in 8.1 and even when only using it to search, the full-screen context shift was really annoying. Adding an actual search sidebar thing helped, but it wouldn't find .exe files in, say, my downloads folder and if it fucked up, I'd end up with some fullscreen Bing shit in my face.

Honestly, I'm almost tempted to upgrade 8 immediately, but for the fact that I wouldn't be able to upgrade to retail in April. 8.1 seriously feels like a past that shouldn't have been approached as it was.