forum

What´s the best moment to learn AR10?

posted
Total Posts
show more
AmaiHachimitsu
Rank shouldn't bother you when deciding on when to start learning it.

If you feel you can play AR 9 comfortably then you can try adding hardrock to the maps you can FC nomod.

Don't get yourself centered around AR, practice everything.

In other words, don't think too much about it. Instead of various ARs, keep the distinction of two:

AR which I can follow
AR which is a bit too fast for me
uzzi
When you feel like it.
Vuelo Eluko
around 4k pp
chainpullz

nooblet wrote:

But, there are also HDHR fanatics like rrll who defy logic.
Did narrill just pick up a tablet after 15k plays and magically start fc sightreading hdhr like a god? That's what it feels like some days...*scratches head*
cheezstik

chainpullz wrote:

nooblet wrote:

But, there are also HDHR fanatics like rrll who defy logic.
Did narrill just pick up a tablet after 15k plays and magically start fc sightreading hdhr like a god? That's what it feels like some days...*scratches head*
Well, his account was registered 3 years ago, I don't mean to accuse, but there was likely some offline play done, it seems pretty crazy to me to be that good at that playcount.
Vuelo Eluko

cheezstik wrote:

Well, his account was registered 3 years ago, I don't mean to accuse, but there was likely some offline play done, it seems pretty crazy to me to be that good at that playcount.
it's well known he played offline/on another account
ETHICALMOUSEUSE
"What´s the best moment to learn AR10?"

Its the moment when you find the "HR" mod on Osu, sooner then later. Practing AR10 helps me deal with AR9 better
chainpullz

Hryukat wrote:

"What´s the best moment to learn AR10?"

Its the moment when you find the "HR" mod on Osu, sooner then later. Practing AR10 helps me deal with AR9 better
Ha, good joke. My ar9 aim is worse now than before I started spamming dt/hr for 2 months.
Bauxe
10AR is something you will just naturally learn. You don't need to go out of your way to learn it.
buny

nooblet wrote:

In other news, you actually don't have to learn AR 10 until you get good enough to play maps that seriously require AR 10, when AR 9.7's not quite enough for it any more (since decimal AR's are a thing now, hopefully QAT's will be able to help with determining AR's before ranking. If it's unranked, well, change it yourself.) Plenty of players above the ranks people suggested cannot read AR 10 (like meee but I should probably be rank 10k). But, there are also HDHR fanatics like rrll who defy logic.
AR8+DT is pretty much AR10 though
A lot of people are mistaking AR10 as hr, when in reality they just can't keep up with OD10

Anyways, I wouldn't even bother with AR10 until I get to insanes that I can't dt. No point in hr on hards since dt is much more valuable
nooblet

buny wrote:

AR8+DT is pretty much AR10 though
A lot of people are mistaking AR10 as hr, when in reality they just can't keep up with OD10

Anyways, I wouldn't even bother with AR10 until I get to insanes that I can't dt. No point in hr on hards since dt is much more valuable
If only ;w; ...

There's a world of difference between AR8+DT and AR10 for me ... 9.5~7 would be readable, whereas 10 on the exact same map is just ... death. It's funny to see the difference between the scores I get on a map at AR 10 and AR 9.5~7 >_>

But yeah the biggest problem with jumping into AR 10 is that most maps of that difficulty have high OD as well, which really requires you to have quite a bit of experience to have the accuracy required.
RaneFire

nooblet wrote:

There's a world of difference between AR8+DT and AR10 for me ... 9.5~7 would be readable, whereas 10 on the exact same map is just ... death. It's funny to see the difference between the scores I get on a map at AR 10 and AR 9.5~7 >_>
OD is indeed a large part, but I had the exact same experience as you. Even AR7+HR was way more readable than AR10, though the difference was only TEN milliseconds.

You'll have to learn AR10 the hard way, by playing it on those exact same maps and harder ones. Don't shy away just because it's slightly too hard. That just causes you to avoid the problem, instead of dealing with it. And it will stay that way until you decide to, which is what I had to do eventually, years afterwards. AR10 is its own thing, because AR8+DT reduces the fade-in time of the notes by comparison to AR9.66, whereas 10 doesn't (a significant portion of the note's uptime is spent fading in).

A quick fix at the time was also setting up my screen brightness, but I prefer darker settings, even below what is considered normal... I am a bit sensitive to bright lights, in that staring at a brighter screen causes me to become more sensitive to lights at night, especially when driving.
ivan

winber1 wrote:

in history class
Pengua

CptBlackBird wrote:

Jugachi can read ar10 at 10k rank,but imo at 5-3k rank
I was reading AR10 at 20k o.O
Just do it when you feel comfortable with it. And yes it made me hate AR8 for a while but I've started playing AR8 again. It just takes some practice.
GoldenWolf

Pengua wrote:

I was reading whack-a-mole* AR10 at 20k o.O
nooblet

GoldenWolf wrote:

Pengua wrote:

I was reading whack-a-mosu!* AR10 at 20k o.O
hue

@Rane

Yeah, I've been playing HR on songs I can SS/99.7+ with ease currently, they pretty much all end up at ~90% wth +5ms error (I guess AR 9.9 would be perfect? lol) 'cuz everything's late on average ... Unless I've practically memorized the map (like Wahrheit 'cuz I played that shit too much). Seems like it's gonna be a loooong time before I get used to this ...
chainpullz

nooblet wrote:

Yeah, I've been playing HR on songs I can SS/99.7+ with ease currently, they pretty much all end up at ~90% wth +5ms error (I guess AR 9.9 would be perfect? lol) 'cuz everything's late on average ... Unless I've practically memorized the map (like Wahrheit 'cuz I played that shit too much). Seems like it's gonna be a loooong time before I get used to this ...
Yeah, unless the map is just easy for me I have to retry like 20 times to get the rhythm internalized better. That and coffee. Coffee is the best mod that doesn't lower pp rewarded. I highly recommend playing HR + coffee.
Illkryn
I naturally picked up ar10 at around rank 20k doing multi with friends.

Dont' even bother with it m8, don't need it
Pengua

GoldenWolf wrote:

Pengua wrote:

I was reading whack-a-mole* AR10 at 20k o.O
Q.Q
No one loves me.
Not gonna lie though, it really was like whack-a-mole for a while before I got the hang of it.
B1rd
how can you claim to read AR10 when you don't even have any HR top ranks?
FlyingKebab

B1rd wrote:

Good point: 9.67 NC =/= 10/10.3

ALTHOUGH in all logical sense since AR doesn't give more PP why would he even do AR10 maps? And ofc DT>HR when it comes to PP but that's just my opinion.
RaneFire

B1rd wrote:

HR is not rewarding in the same way DT will give you a speed score for FC'ing a map. If you aren't getting within 2% of your nomod accuracy, you might as well play the map without HR and get the same pp. DT scores are essentially "different maps" in the sense that their pp values are so high compared to the nomod version, that there's no reason to play a map nomod if you can DT it, no matter what your accuracy is.

The kinds of maps you would have to play with HR to feature in your top performances are actually really difficult, in fact, they are probably the same maps as the nomod plays in your current top performances because of the required difficulty components to start with. Sticking HR on a map won't automatically make it worth a lot of pp. It has to already be a genuinely difficult map, and then you still have to perform as well as you would with nomod.

This is not really feasible for most people who start playing HR. As such, you will generally be able to read AR10 and play the simpler maps with HR, long before you start setting top performances with it, unless you don't already have many top performances.
B1rd

RaneFire wrote:

B1rd wrote:

HR is not rewarding in the same way DT will give you a speed score for FC'ing a map. If you aren't getting within 2% of your nomod accuracy, you might as well play the map without HR and get the same pp. DT scores are essentially "different maps" in the sense that their pp values are so high compared to the nomod version, that there's no reason to play a map nomod if you can DT it, no matter what your accuracy is.

The kinds of maps you would have to play with HR to feature in your top performances are actually really difficult, in fact, they are probably the same maps as the nomod plays in your current top performances because of the required difficulty components to start with. Sticking HR on a map won't automatically make it worth a lot of pp. It has to already be a genuinely difficult map, and then you still have to perform as well as you would with nomod.

This is not really feasible for most people who start playing HR. As such, you will generally be able to read AR10 and play the simpler maps with HR, long before you start setting top performances with it, unless you don't already have many top performances.
Well, accuracy is pretty overweighed in this game. If you have good enough acc to get 99%+ at AR9.8/10, then you can do much easier songs with HR and they will give more pp than harder no-mod ranks at AR7/8.

But in his case, even if he didn't have that great accuracy, if he could properly read AR10 (which IMO, means you can perform the same or better than you can at AR9) then he would definitely have HR scores in his top ranks.
RaneFire
You forget that HR affects CS as well. Aim is also a very large component on maps that are already difficult (already a high aim score), since speed score doesn't factor into HR at all.

In that case, performing as you would at AR9 doesn't apply. If I modify a map and only change it's AR to 10, I can perform just as well as I would at AR9, but that's not the same as what HR does, which increases the accuracy requirement (OD) and the aim requirement (CS). AR alone is negligible by comparison (and pp agrees too).

You try modify a difficult map that you have a good score on, and change only it's circle size (multiplied by 1.3x), and it's OD to 10, and tell me if you can perform exactly the same as the original map with the same level of consistency. These are real factors of difficulty and should also be considered.

You see, I've actually selected practice maps since about a year ago, where I've only changed the CS, and even setting it up by just 1 makes a drastic difference to my aim consistency. The reason I did that is because my aim isn't good, and it definitely needs work before I can play HR properly (acc isn't great either tbh).
chainpullz

RaneFire wrote:

You forget that HR affects CS as well. Aim is also a very large component on maps that are already difficult (already a high aim score), since speed score doesn't factor into HR at all.

In that case, performing as you would at AR9 doesn't apply. If I modify a map and only change it's AR to 10, I can perform just as well as I would at AR9, but that's not the same as what HR does, which increases the accuracy requirement (OD) and the aim requirement (CS). AR alone is negligible by comparison (and pp agrees too).

You try modify a difficult map that you have a good score on, and change only it's circle size (multiplied by 1.3x), and it's OD to 10, and tell me if you can perform exactly the same as the original map with the same level of consistency. These are real factors of difficulty and should also be considered.

You see, I've actually selected practice maps since about a year ago, where I've only changed the CS, and even setting it up by just 1 makes a drastic difference to my aim consistency. The reason I did that is because my aim isn't good, and it definitely needs work before I can play HR properly (acc isn't great either tbh).
Setting stream heavy maps to cs5.2 od10 is a good way to find out you actually suck at streaming too.
Pengua

B1rd wrote:

CS and OD kill me a lot. I can play most of my top ranked NC maps at AR9+NC at a similar accuracy.
nooblet

Pengua wrote:

B1rd wrote:

CS and OD kill me a lot. I can play most of my top ranked NC maps at AR9+NC at a similar accuracy.
Uhh aren't all of those in your top plays AR8 ...?

CS and OD increase difficulty, but it's the HP that kills you. HP 9.8 sometimes means you're dead with anything lower than a 95% FC, depending how many sliders / combos / draining breaks there are.
Pengua

nooblet wrote:

Uhh aren't all of those in your top plays AR8 ...?

CS and OD increase difficulty, but it's the HP that kills you. HP 9.8 sometimes means you're dead with anything lower than a 95% FC, depending how many sliders / combos / draining breaks there are.
Most of them are AR8, I edited to AR9 for practice.
buny
I wouldn't consider 150pp plays to be "reading ar10"
byfar
1.practice cs5 9.5ar + hr for hours

1.try airman, cs4 is as big as a fucking car, ar10 slow as a fucking snail turtle

1.proceed to hit every fucking note
Varetyr
edit : drunk

(actually no, but seriously byfar, AR8+ HR = 10. AR9+HR = 10. AR9.6+HR = 10. AR10+HR=10. got the idea? orz)
nrl

buny wrote:

when you can read ar9
ftfy
byfar

Varetyr wrote:

edit : drunk

(actually no, but seriously byfar, AR8+ HR = 10. AR9+HR = 10. AR9.6+HR = 10. AR10+HR=10. got the idea? orz)
wow then i must be hallucinating then. I couldve sworn i couldnt read ar10+hr
nrl
Most native ar10 maps are unranked and ridiculously hard.
buny

Narrill wrote:

Most native ar10 maps are unranked and ridiculously hard.
not entirely true on the latter
nrl
Well, I'm sure they'd be hard for someone with 7k plays.
buny
i think ar10 alone is hard at 7k plays though
byfar

buny wrote:

hey i can edit 5 star maps and turn it into ar10 and say i can read it ez pz

but this https://osu.ppy.sh/s/99244 yeah uh no
chainpullz

byfar wrote:

buny wrote:

hey i can edit 5 star maps and turn it into ar10 and say i can read it ez pz

but this https://osu.ppy.sh/s/99244 yeah uh no
I can say I'm better than cookiezi.
RaneFire

buny wrote:

I wouldn't consider 150pp plays to be "reading ar10"
Guess all those guys making thousands of 150pp SS's on [hard]'s at AR10, can't actually read AR10.

It's just approach rate, otherwise you should apply the same thing to AR7/8/9, and say people who are only making 150pp scores on those can't read those AR's either.

Or are you one of those elitists who believe anyone above 1k rank actually can't read anything at all?

And name me one ranked map, native AR10, which gives 150pp (not mapped in 2007 or 2008).

True story, the #1 player in my country used to be a [hard] farmer. After ppv2 came out, he rose to #1 in 2 months and in the next 5, got to 5.5k pp. Pretty sure he could read AR10, to do that so quickly.
show more