forum

Why you aren't improving at osu! "HOW DO I GET BETTER?!?!"

posted
Total Posts
show more
Just_A_M0nk
Read the whole topic and agree with every word. Players are getting better every time they hit the circles. The faster you have to hit - the more you need to spend time to do it. "Difficulty" is moving away from the "comfort zone" in many directions: faster speed, smaller circles, longer streams, shorter sliders, etc. When you train in these directions you are paving the bridges from one skill to another. These bridges sag to the point where you really feel confident in the game. Very often there is a feeling that you are stuck in place, and instead to quietly continue to play and have fun, you throw on unattainable for you difficulty trying to break it. If you dont have success - you get depressed, angry, and following attempts to become worse, but if you have passed this level then you will try more in this direction (not bad at all, but...), not noticing what you have not mastered in the other direction and just evade them. I made these conclusions after reading this thread and on my own experience. I have a funny problem - can play fast BPM DT maps (try them hard) but I can't normally FC much slower maps. Each FC takes a bunch of attempts and efforts, just because of a few errors in the same places-_-. Certainly worth something edit in my trainings:)
Thanks for an interesting topic guides on motivation, and I apologize for my bad English.
power007
3 years of osu!:

rage quit
Just_A_M0nk
oh, so painful maps
it took about 4-5 months to get used to and the last diff takes all my stamina for a few days or even a week X_x
I try them when I'm completely fresh, if Im not fresh all plays doesn't make sense
AngelZatch
Couldn't agree more with everything written! It's been 6+ years I'm here. I'm slowly getting back at Osu! because I flippin' love this game :3
kymotsujason
I've been streaming on high bpm maps for a while, but my endurance was always quite low (stamina is fine). It never occurred to me that slower bpm maps could help with stability =P
Thanks for taking the time to make this topic =D
Sayune
Good "OSU!" Thread 9/10

You can kill me now.
JeremyTechnika
It's very true.
Mixae_old
Nice post I agree with it
-Akira_old
I would want a Summary...
CodeS

-Akira wrote:

http://howtoimproveatosu.tk/
Topic Starter
ScarletStory

CodeS wrote:

-Akira wrote:

http://howtoimproveatosu.tk/
You sir just made my day, thank you for the laughs. LOL
MMzz
About time someone made a thread like this.
EVEN THOUGH IT WAS MADE 3 MONTHS AGO I JUST NOTICED IT GOMEN.
Taadashi
The truth has been unveiled. :p
Acme Deizd Void
Its gonna took awhile for me to finish this wall of text Xd generally what ur saying is really true though *thumb up*

and btw 10/10 for the MISCELLANEOUS + REASONS :>
Cubex
How to get better at circle_clicker.exe? :^(
Blueprint
Question to everybody do you believe accuracy is an essential skill and it is a must, there is a difference between mashing & trying here's 1 of my worst FC in terms of accuracy http://puu.sh/8RTTC.osr I will admit to mashing at the very end. I get good accuracy when a map is easy for me (map doesn't do anything for me) I get PP.

I have trouble deciphering actual difficulty to me difficulty is either to fast (leading to spam) or to awkward to aim, I just fail to folow the logic of a map being to hard because you can't score a certain accuracy star ratings suck to
lazyrifi
LOL rrtyui got SS in The Big Black, time to update the post :)
mcdoomfrag

Blueprint wrote:

I have trouble deciphering actual difficulty to me difficulty is either to fast (leading to spam) or to awkward to aim, I just fail to folow the logic of a map being to hard because you can't score a certain accuracy star ratings suck to
What would be the point of a ranking system in a RHYTHM game, if it rewards people even when they get shitty accuracy? Being good at this game, isn't simply about flailing your cursor around and mashing when prompted to, it's about being able to understand the beat and structure of the song and being able to keep up with it.
Naywils
This is very true.
Me myself just play until something feels slow then step it up, I guess that's not for everyone though
Blueprint
I can't really make sense of what I was trying to ask but I guess It irritates me that I can score 97+ on a map but miss with no reward yes it is a rhythm game but it's still about hitting circles
mcdoomfrag

Blueprint wrote:

I can't really make sense of what I was trying to ask
I spent around 15 minutes trying to decipher it, but I'm still not sure if I understood....
GoldenWolf

Blueprint wrote:

I can't really make sense of what I was trying to ask but I guess It irritates me that I can score 97+ on a map but miss with no reward yes it is a rhythm game but it's still about hitting circles
Didn't you contradict yourself here? Or am I not understanding your point?
Blueprint

GoldenWolf wrote:

Blueprint wrote:

Didn't you contradict yourself here? Or am I not understanding your point?
Probably I'm dumb like that
Topic Starter
ScarletStory

lazyrifi wrote:

I believe a lot of people overlooked the fact that I said "on the first day they ever played osu"...
TrinitehFoarse

ScarletStory wrote:

lazyrifi wrote:

I believe a lot of people overlooked the fact that I said "on the first day they ever played osu"...
Yes.
theLiminator
lol i think i'm rhythmically retarded. I score much worse using auto pilot than I do playing kb+mouse. Also, using relaxed mod, I can breeze through songs I have no hope of passing when I tap. I just suck so much at tapping, that's probably why my accuracy sucks so much too..
DahplA
I'm stuck at the point of Hard <-> Insane where Hard maps are kinda slow, and Insane just...I cannot even. People will say "practice makes perfect" but I cannot practice maps I cannot even complete. Can someone help me? I don't know where to begin and after reading these tips, it just makes me realise how far I am behind instead of actually guiding me.
SanicHegehog

theLiminator wrote:

lol i think i'm rhythmically retarded. I score much worse using auto pilot than I do playing kb+mouse. Also, using relaxed mod, I can breeze through songs I have no hope of passing when I tap. I just such so much at tapping, that's probably why my accuracy sucks so much too..
This is normal.
Blueprint

DahplA wrote:

I'm stuck at the point of Hard <-> Insane where Hard maps are kinda slow, and Insane just...I cannot even. People will say "practice makes perfect" but I cannot practice maps I cannot even complete. Can someone help me? I don't know where to begin and after reading these tips, it just makes me realise how far I am behind instead of actually guiding me.
I find hard's harder than ar 8 anime insane songs I hope I helped :)
buny

DahplA wrote:

There are a LOT of maps, I highly doubt all maps suit the dilemma you described...Try downloading map packs, and also try dt on easier (Hard) difficulties as they tend to make an easy insane.
D3S
Really good guide, some helpfull tips in here too :)
Finally got myself under #70k thanks to this, which is good for me imo.

Keep up the good work! :)
Insyni
Regarding snapping, what is the best way to get into a habit of snapping well. Right now I have a really bad habit of hitting edges of notes/ sliders making me lose combos.

I'm not quite sure how to fix the issue. Playing insanes only seems to make the issue worse, yet people say that playing insanes are the only way to learn snapping.
CPTW

ScarletStory wrote:

MISCELLANEOUS (non-playing related) REASONS (warning may contain demoralising content)
1.you should let skill come to you and you should not try to chase after skill relentlessly
My favourite game, the waiting game. (I still see myself on this game for years to come, I'll wait it out till I can pass crazy diffs)

But in all seriousness with the sarcasm aside, very true on all points and some points I didn't know(despite me playing for so long orz) but sadly most people don't even click on this thread since the "How do I get better?" threads still pop up.

DustyFfy wrote:

Regarding snapping, what is the best way to get into a habit of snapping well. Right now I have a really bad habit of hitting edges of notes/ sliders making me lose combos.

I'm not quite sure how to fix the issue. Playing insanes only seems to make the issue worse, yet people say that playing insanes are the only way to learn snapping.
I only started snapping around the start of this year but personally I went to hards/low ar insanes to practice so it gave me time to snap to a circle but also enough time between each circle to see where my cursor actually snapped to, thus showing me how inaccurate my aim was on top of it and then once I could snap on "slow" maps speed up and play smaller circle size.(Only personal experience though since practicing on faster insanes just made me slip into old habits and glide again within seconds)
AutoMedic
I feel guilty about almost everything. Slider not finishing, TABLET MASTER RACE Thoughts. And for a change, I used my abandoned osu!tablet. It wasn't worth it actually. It's hard to aim and do stuff. While on my mouse, which I have better experience with, I can do Fast Normals. I just can't stress everybody saying ,

OMG RRTYUI TABLET USAR IMA BUY TABLET 2 SO DAT I KEN BE NUMBER 1 AND FC BIG BLAK FOX

What actually happens after they bought the tablet

ERMEGHERD THIS PIECE OF S**T METAL DOESEN'T WORK WHAT A SCAM I HATE OSU HURR-HURR and similar stuff

I'll rate this thread for about 10/10. It's humorous, and best of all, It's the most important things all osu players must know
DeletedUser_4041880

Sonatora wrote:

I feel guilty about almost everything. Slider not finishing, TABLET MASTER RACE Thoughts. And for a change, I used my abandoned osu!tablet. It wasn't worth it actually. It's hard to aim and do stuff. While on my mouse, which I have better experience with, I can do Fast Normals. I just can't stress everybody saying ,

OMG RRTYUI TABLET USAR IMA BUY TABLET 2 SO DAT I KEN BE NUMBER 1 AND FC BIG BLAK FOX

What actually happens after they bought the tablet

ERMEGHERD THIS PIECE OF S**T METAL DOESEN'T WORK WHAT A SCAM I HATE OSU HURR-HURR and similar stuff

I'll rate this thread for about 10/10. It's humorous, and best of all, It's the most important things all osu players must know
You have to stick with tablet for a while before you can catch up with your current skill level on the mouse- unless you barely played standard and you're still at the newbie level.
FappyBabes
whoa you put in a lot of effort into making this. O_o
Grapheon
Edit: rrtyui actually SSed Big Black xD
Topic Starter
ScarletStory

Grapheon wrote:

Edit: rrtyui actually SSed Big Black xD

ScarletStory wrote:

lazyrifi wrote:

Hmm i was unaware that rrtyui started playing osu! 24 days ago... I'm seriously going to have to bold underline italicize color code and smash that statement into peoples eyes aren't I?.......
GoldenWolf

ScarletStory wrote:

I'm seriously going to have to bold underline italicize color code and smash that statement into peoples eyes aren't I?.......
Sounds like a good idea.
Topic Starter
ScarletStory

GoldenWolf wrote:

ScarletStory wrote:

I'm seriously going to have to bold underline italicize color code and smash that statement into peoples eyes aren't I?.......
Sounds like a good idea.
I thought so too haha. At the same time, however, I'm prepared to watch as it inevitably fails to get the point across anyway. :) *facepalm*
show more