forum

Adopting a "Star Perceptual Map"

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +367
show more
theowest

JeMhUnTeR wrote:

OMG BUUUUMMPPPPP
what have you done...
Zamura_old
Well, since this has now been bumped, I suppose i'll contribute by saying that I think the important thing is to just keep the information shown in the chart fairly simple just to get it implemented. If it needs to be fine-tuned over time then great, but what i mostly wanna see is a more accurate representation of difficulty besides the .5-5 star rating, because lets be honest, the star difficulty rating should really go up to like 15.

tl;dr I support.
jemhuntr

JeMhUnTeR wrote:

I'm a derp
how dare you edit my post >.<
Sakura

Zamura wrote:

the star difficulty rating should really go up to like 15.
Why not scale that 15 down to 5, you will see that isn't the problem :P
Zamura_old
my point was simply that the 1-5 star scale is not exactly a good indicator of a maps difficulty once you reach the 5 star level, which is why i support this idea. It gives a clearer idea of how difficult the map is relative to others, at a glance.
Soner Wolf
I'd love to see some more detailed info on maps. The star system isn't doing it for me anymore because there are definitely maps that are harder than 5 stars and should be categorized higher like 6 or 7 stars yet can't because it's limited. I feel that this would also let you practice style specific maps. so you want to practice faster AR gradually? this would help. Not only informational, but I can see this as a great tool.
Tear
The difficulty rating needs a redesign, and this is a great suggestion because different people find different things hard. Also this seems obvious and someone probably mentioned this in the thread, but it would make the effects of mods like HR and DT visible and obvious, for example as a differently-colored layer behind the base difficulty.
Star~ of course
Zare
Oh yeah this request, I almost forgot it.
Seriously, this is a great idea.
Try to merge it with Tom's difficulty calculator in a way and we have a as-perfect-as-possible-map-difficulty-display-...thingy
theowest
I prefer to compare difficulties with numbers, not with visual indications which might be hard to differentiate.
bwross
The suggestion already has it only brought up on demand. If you don't want to see it, don't hit the button and it won't replace the scoreboard.
Oinari-sama
Oh wow how did I miss this thread?! Support!

This radar chart will also come in handy in multiplayer game. I sometimes play with beginner friends and I don't know if the circle size in some maps are big enough for HR for them to survive. A radar chart will make the decision a lot easier!
Topic Starter
RBRat3

_tear wrote:

The difficulty rating needs a redesign, and this is a great suggestion because different people find different things hard. Also this seems obvious and someone probably mentioned this in the thread, but it would make the effects of mods like HR and DT visible and obvious, for example as a differently-colored layer behind the base difficulty.
Star~ of course
Yes its possible, Was already discussed.

Oinari-sama wrote:

Oh wow how did I miss this thread?! Support!
Simple it sat here got old and grew a beard.

theowest wrote:

I prefer to compare difficulties with numbers, not with visual indications which might be hard to differentiate.
You might need reading glasses, The thing only has 10 notches plus it was already discussed along with different graphing options...
theowest
Still, I prefer one number rather than multiple difficulty wings (those that spread out)
jemhuntr

bwross wrote:

The suggestion already has it only brought up on demand. If you don't want to see it, don't hit the button and it won't replace the scoreboard.
^^

yay nice bump ppl. i want this.
Kitsunemimi
Aaaaaghhh bump!!! >A<

Support support support support >////A////<''''''''
Also, I agree it would be good to include some more 'complex' difficulty parameters :3

.... Also I will come back to read the rest of this thread later...... :3
Kaeru
This was my idea too. I was actually about to post it until I saw this..

Anyways, you have my support. I'd like to be able to have a bit of an idea what the map will be like before playing it (if there's a lot of jumps, streams, bpm changes, overlapping notes, etc).
Takuneru
Nice Idea, I thought of this too! It would be a great way to see the map overall difficulty, as the stars doesn't tell you that much...
You have my support.
Ezekeial
Great idea, full support.
Trust
If you could find a way to fit the perceptual map into the song selection as well as have the the numerical identification for AR, HP, CS, and OD in there somewhere too I could see this feature being very well liked (if ever implemented). Space is definitely an issue with how much clutter there is to begin with. Perhaps it could be like a small option beside the 5-star rating that you could click and it would bring up this small, faded-out version of the perceptual map in the middle of the screen which you then scroll over to expand it.

Really cool idea! Big fan ^w^
[Blue Wolf]
I Really loved the idea! I really want this =D
[Sean]
Not sure if suggested, but if we were to style it roughly to the size of the DDR like, we could always suggest it in this area of the UI without needing to have a button active:

Extend the black area out roughly an extra 10-15% more, and place it in there.
Kert
I have another concept. It's more for the webiste probably though.

For example the stars ring can have a different color depending on the difficulty of the map (more difficult - stronger red color)
I am not a designer, I can't draw cool professional stuff sorry. Excel mad skillz
Maybe speed and aim values can be put here somehow too, but I have no more ideas right now

UPD: And if that's in the game you could make these sectors clickable to let osu! find maps with certain parameters
UPD2: Another variant but with an indicator for high difficulty (I'd say 9, 10 are high for AR, OD and > 5 is high for CS)
DangerNoodle
No progress on this :( ? I would really like to see this. The idea should still work with the new difficulty system.