forum

osu! Stream Speed (test your speed)

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Ziggo
Hey guys, I'm here to present you my program to test your streaming speed in osu!. I'm aware that there's already a thread about testing you stream hitting speed, but I asked a moderator and he said it's fine to make a new thread for my program. (If any mod still disagrees with this thread, please contact me and we will figure something out.)

Now to the program itself. It's basically the same as the other program, but with a couple of new features.

What is new
- Graphical User Interface
- Mouse button support
- Added unstable rate
- Graphs for speed and unstable rate
- Ranks with (funny) pictures
- Live Play to show your results on the fly

Next you can see what the program looks like:

Download: (v1.2)
Klick here to download the program.
(You will need Java to run it.)

Changelog
19/10/2013: (v1.0)
- Initial release

20/10/2013: (v1.1)
- Inputs now allow upper case and lower case
- Added support for array keys
- Fixed bug which deletes hotkeys in case both Key1 and Key2 are the same at some point
- Added description where screenshots are saved to
- Changed initial value for Key1 to z and for Key2 to x

28/11/2013: (v1.2)
- Added Live Play
- Added display for average and current speed
- Changed appearance of ranks
- Included images into jar-file, so no additional files are needed anymore

FAQ
Q: How can I use this program?
A: Start the osuStreamSpeed.jar file. Change the keys to what you want to use and you are ready to go.

Q: It doesn't work. What should I do?
A: Make sure you have a recent version of Java Java installed on your PC. If it still doesn't work, please make a screenshot of the error message and post it here or send me a PM about it.

Q: Saving a screenshot doesn't work. Why?
A: You may have no admin rights for the folder where osuStreamSpeed lies. If you can't change that, just make a screenshot manually with the print key or a program like puush.

Q: It saved my screenshot, but where can I find it?
A: It will be saved in your osuStreamSpeed folder from where you started the program.

Q: So, what exactly are the bpm and unstable rate shown in this program?
A: The bpm shows your streaming speed while assuming pressing 1/4 notes. The unstable rate shows how stable you are with your clicking. (Note: It's not the same unstable rate as in osu!, because I don't know the exact formula for it.)

Q: How are the ranks calculated?
A: Through your bpm and the number of clicks you did. The higher the bpm, the better your rank. For more clicks you will need less bpm to get the same rank.

Feel free to post any suggestions to improve this program. And have fun posting your results!
sorgenehtyals
I think it would be great if we could instead watch our unstable rate and bpm speed while we are tapping instead of waiting until the end to see what we've done
J V
Hi, nice work on this !

Just a little report about your input keys : your program makes a difference between uppercase and lowercase, so if i selected "q", it won't take as output "Q"
Saw this cause i ofter press my "q" button largely and sometimes hit the Caps lock :<

You should also show where screenshots are saved(by default), or make the user choose his own.

ps : i saw wat you did there :o
Rio-
Nice work You got there!~
*btw In my first time opened this program... Key1 is unresponsive with Z & X key (But after I'm using A, and then back to Z... It's become responsive)
SPOILER

I'm using Laptop Keyboard... So don't expect much.
Topic Starter
Ziggo

StormR1d3r wrote:

I think it would be great if we could instead watch our unstable rate and bpm speed while we are tapping instead of waiting until the end to see what we've done
The way I do this right now would make it a bit complicated. I will keep it in mind for a future version though.

jyvii wrote:

Hi, nice work on this !

Just a little report about your input keys : your program makes a difference between uppercase and lowercase, so if i selected "q", it won't take as output "Q"
Saw this cause i ofter press my "q" button largely and sometimes hit the Caps lock :<
Good point, this will be changed in the next version.

jyvii wrote:

You should also show where screenshots are saved(by default), or make the user choose his own.
I will add this information in the FAQ for now and display it in the next version. As for choosing a directory... I will think about it.

satriobp wrote:

*btw In my first time opened this program... Key1 is unresponsive with Z & X key (But after I'm using A, and then back to Z... It's become responsive)
That's weird, I never encountered this problem. Did this only happen once or everytime you start the program?

Thanks for your feedback everyone!
Rio-

Ziggo wrote:

satriobp wrote:

That's weird, I never encountered this problem. Did this only happen once or everytime you start the program?
This is How it works.... As You can see, 1st Key isn't working when I tested My Stream first time (still happens when retrying with same keys). But when I changed key, It's working. Switching back to Z, and Yeah... Work!

*btw, I use latest Java (Well, dunno for Anyone If this problem happened too to them)
chox_old
the program is cool, i'll be using it so thank you for it

..however..
-Ranks with (funny) pictures
SPOILER

not funny at all, i'd say depressing fits better ;_;
Topic Starter
Ziggo

satriobp wrote:

SPOILER
This is How it works.... As You can see, 1st Key isn't working when I tested My Stream first time (still happens when retrying with same keys). But when I changed key, It's working. Switching back to Z, and Yeah... Work!

*btw, I use latest Java (Well, dunno for Anyone If this problem happened too to them)
Okay I understand your problem, but I don't know why this happens. I also find it strange, that your keys seem to be reversed to what they should be. For me Key1 is x and Key2 is z when I start the program. Like here:

Can you tell me which operating system you are using? (like Windows 7, Mac OS X, ...)

And does anyone else have this problem?
Rio-

Ziggo wrote:

I also find it strange, that your keys seem to be reversed to what they should be.
I just messing It up intentionally (Cuz' I use My Middle-finger for Key 1 and Index-finger for Key 2) :P
* I think It might be the problem.... I reversed the Z & X (Trying this with default K1-X and K2-Z seems working. But when I change It to K1-Z and K2-X, It happened again)

Ziggo wrote:

Can you tell me which operating system you are using? (like Windows 7, Mac OS X, ...)
Windows 7
Coffee Hero
Works very well, good program.

Full Tablet
How does it calculate bpm/unstable rate? It seems that the graphics get unstable with too many hits (I doubt I ever pressed over 1000bpm). Also, no rank picture.

I fell asleep at about the time the unstable rate got extremely high.
Dexus
I can't use the arrow keys as inputs. Please fix this. (Yes I play with my arrow keys)
Topic Starter
Ziggo

Full Tablet wrote:

How does it calculate bpm/unstable rate? It seems that the graphics get unstable with too many hits (I doubt I ever pressed over 1000bpm). Also, no rank picture.

I fell asleep at about the time the unstable rate got extremely high.
I have to admit that I never tested it with more that 1000 clicks, so I'll have to look into it. The bpm calculation is using the intervals between 2 of your clicks, but it's smoothed to some extend to prevent extreme spikes. The unstable rate is comparing 2 neighbouring intervals, but is not smoothed (maybe I should change that, not sure). Additionally both graphs use splines to make the graphs look less spiky on lower click counts (maybe I should deactivate it for higher click counts).I still wonder how you managed to achieve an unstable rate of over 3.5 million, because that should never happen. Maybe it's my spline function bugging or something. I retract that statement. If you actually didn't click for a few minutes, then this is plausible.

About the picture, was there no picture to begin with or did it disappear after doing the 99999 clicks? If it's the first case then you probably moved the .jar file to a different location than the images folder.

Dexus wrote:

I can't use the arrow keys as inputs. Please fix this. (Yes I play with my arrow keys)
This may be problematic the way I coded this, but I'll try and see if there's an easy solution for this.
Topic Starter
Ziggo

satriobp wrote:

I just messing It up intentionally (Cuz' I use My Middle-finger for Key 1 and Index-finger for Key 2) :P
* I think It might be the problem.... I reversed the Z & X (Trying this with default K1-X and K2-Z seems working. But when I change It to K1-Z and K2-X, It happened again)
Yes, that was the problem. The program accidentally removed some hotkeys when both Key1 and Key2 were the same at some point. I fixed this now.

Dexus wrote:

Array keys should be usable now. The display for Key1 and Key2 will show the numbers 2,4,6,8 instead of the array keys, but it should work without any problems.

New version available: Version 1.1

What has changed
- Inputs now allow upper case and lower case
- Added support for array keys
- Fixed bug which deletes hotkeys in case both Key1 and Key2 are the same at some point
- Added description where screenshots are saved to
- Changed initial value for Key1 to z and for Key2 to x
Aqo
This is relevant to my interests. Thread bookmarked. Good job with this program so far

could you make it live?
i.e. instead of selecting a limited amount of clicks, just have a reset button, and then as soon as you start streaming it starts filling up the graph on the fly as you stream and showing you your average on the fly while the graph shows the deviation (and as you stream more and more, the graph would squish up over time)
Wulfzz
Nice program. c:
Tested it om mac (OS Lion), no problem.

Edit: Changed settings for notifications.
RaneFire
Very nice program, thanks.
I recommend adding "test" to the end of the topic name. Otherwise people are gonna use that other worthless program forever.
buny

a bit weird to use but it does its job a lot better than the other

the ranks do seem a bit harsh, maybe they should scale as to how many clicks you're doing? SS is easy to get with 5 hits yet A is a milestone with 500
Tsukimi Luna

_-[Sakai-kun]-_ wrote:

1000+bpm??!!

how2strim1000bpmtutorialplz

Definitely gonna try this out when i get home

Looks 1000x better than the cmd stream speed test thingy
Topic Starter
Ziggo
New version available: Version 1.2

Added a "Live Play" function. Now you can see your speed and unstable rate while clicking. You can also set the number of clicks to be shown in Live Play or disable it completely. Thanks to Aqo for all his testing and help.

Complete changes
- Added Live Play
- Added display for average and current speed
- Changed appearance of ranks
- Included images into jar-file, so no additional files are needed anymore
Tsukimi Luna

I need to turn on music in order to stream
Aqo
This program is currently the best stream test program made, well done Ziggo. Thanks a lot for this great contribution to the community <3
Touka
e
Hyperspace
Maiz94
WAT

Hyperspace
haax
RaneFire
If people are gonna cheat, they'll find a way. There's no stopping it. Also there's no way to tell if someone is using 2 hands.

This program is more accurate for the "honest" user. On the other one you could hold down keys, without even realising it, due to mashing frantically and it would engage the repeat keystroke and give you a much higher BPM than you should have got. You can already see most of the scores so far in this thread are a lot lower... and the extra data is pretty informative. I'd like to see people testing more than 20 notes though, because getting a spike of 1000 BPM on 2 mashed keys out of 20 throws the average BPM by a huge amount.

Unstable rate here is also not the same as osu!'s either, so it's best not to assume you can get a low rate in game too.
buny
it spikes the bpm but it doesn't spike the average
Tenyante

I singletap so fast ;w;
Aireu
Myke B

Very sad day. My left hand hasn't changed for months :/
FreshMint
much sad
such unstable
wow.
show more