forum

New Mod: Remove Passive/Constant HP Drain (Ranked/Unranked)? [invalid]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +8
show more
GoldenWolf
Shhh, you should sleep now :v
Topic Starter
ImmortalChibi

GoldenWolf wrote:

Shhh, you should sleep now :v
But I.... ^(o.ov)..... /(-.-/)
Winshley
I'm sorry, but I had no choice but to lock this request thread as this is going totally off-topic. PM me with a good reason why you would need this thread reopened.

To be honest though, I think this idea is completely unnecessary. After all, HP drain is part of the game anyway. If you can't handle the HP drain, just practice and getting better accuracy to fight the HP drain.
Ephemeral
regarding the OP:

Reasons:
1. Slower songs that I like, or songs with slower sections, prove to be quite difficult when the health return from the beats is not enough to keep you alive despite hitting them all.
2. Often times beatmap makers incorrectly gauge the proper setting for HP Drain, thus making the song impossible or nearly so to complete.
3. A lot of the more common and big name rhythm games do amazingly well, despite not having this additional standard difficulty. So sources show, it would not ruin the game.
1. this is a core element of slower songs with high drain and enforces a high accuracy performance on songs that are otherwise uneventful. issues with drain are usually a failure of the modding/mapping process and would not be ameliorated with a new mod, only hastily patched over.

2. see above

3. correlation != causation - a fundamental assertion of your argument here is that hp drain somehow takes something away from the game simply because it is something other games do not do. osu! is not and will not ever be any other rhythm game apart from some elements drawn from its mechanical inspirations (EBA, ouendan, so forth) and hp drain was a principle element for these games, often dramatically exaggerated over what is considered normal and acceptable in current mapping standards

we will not be considering adding such a feature at this time, partly because one exists that replicates similar intended functionality: nofail.
Wishy
This guy has spent more time crying on this forum about how he can't clear some easy diff because of drain than actually playing the game...

Lol'd@some guy saying this game revolves around HP leech, for all I know it's a completely useless feature for any decent player, unless you are playing HR while you are not good at it or you are playing VERY hard maps then it isn't an issue at all...

And then this guy starts talking about LoL, my god, if you had picked some serious e-sport but you had to choose the joke one.
Topic Starter
ImmortalChibi

Ephemeral wrote:

1. this is a core element of slower songs with high drain and enforces a high accuracy performance on songs that are otherwise uneventful. issues with drain are usually a failure of the modding/mapping process and would not be ameliorated with a new mod, only hastily patched over.

2. see above

3. correlation != causation - a fundamental assertion of your argument here is that hp drain somehow takes something away from the game simply because it is something other games do not do. osu! is not and will not ever be any other rhythm game apart from some elements drawn from its mechanical inspirations (EBA, ouendan, so forth) and hp drain was a principle element for these games, often dramatically exaggerated over what is considered normal and acceptable in current mapping standards

we will not be considering adding such a feature at this time, partly because one exists that replicates similar intended functionality: nofail.
Okay, let's address these.

1. So you're very clearly stating that this is an elitist game, and you either get good or get out?

2. Modding/mapping errors like HP Drain can be fixed with this mod. Instead of patching every song's HP Drain, you would simply help people play fun maps until the HP Drain idealistically doesn't matter anyway (while not making them fail 100 times beforehand). What happens is the creator sets it too high, player can't deal with it, assures himself/herself they can do it by using a simple mod that retains the risk of failure, moves on to regular song once they've practiced enough. It's quite the same mod as SpunOut when you really think about it.
I mean, why is SpunOut there when you can just tell people to do it in NoFail until they're good at the game?

3. That was never what I was trying to say. I'm saying this and only this: HP Drain makes it hard.
In any game ever that has ever had even a slight mission where your health was constantly dropping do to some outside effect you couldn't control was upsetting to me. The difference between Osu! and those games is that they had one or two "songs" with drain. Osu! is apparently based around this entire idea and without HP Drain, Osu! would not exist.
And my comparison to other games is ONLY to show that Osu! could take away the HP Drain via mod and it would still work completely fine. And failing a song that didn't have drain would feel better to me because I would no, beyond a doubt, that I failed do to myself and only myself not being able to hit the beats.

Wishy wrote:

This guy has spent more time crying on this forum about how he can't clear some easy diff because of drain than actually playing the game...

Lol'd@some guy saying this game revolves around HP leech, for all I know it's a completely useless feature for any decent player, unless you are playing HR while you are not good at it or you are playing VERY hard maps then it isn't an issue at all...

And then this guy starts talking about LoL, my god, if you had picked some serious e-sport but you had to choose the joke one.
There were no tears.
Define decent. If decent is pro-level, you have extremely high standards. Apparently the devs have the same, "Get good or stop playing our game, noob" mentality you do.
League of Legends is a fantastic game. I mean, why else would be this huge with millions of dollars in cash prizes for international tournaments? Last I heard was Street Fighter, MvC, CoD, WoW, and basically any other e-sport never did anything that huge. Starcraft is the closest one, I think.
boat
There's nothing elitist about it, there are plenty of maps on which the drain wont be an issue at all and there are solutions for those on which it is. This is marked invalid, it's not going to happen because you're one of the few who are butthurt about it. Don't take my words as the voice of the community, but from me personally, either play easier maps/stop sucking ass, use the alternatives provided or get lost.

This is the mechanic of the game, maps should be changed according to it rather than the engine according to them.

HP drain may make things harder, but there'd be little point to playing if everything was handed to you on a silver plate. People enjoy the challenge, half the fun is improving and being able to pass what's challenging. This is a completely useless feature as it can already be replicated in multiple ways.
Topic Starter
ImmortalChibi

boat wrote:

There's nothing elitist about it, there are plenty of maps on which the drain wont be an issue at all and there are solutions for those on which it is. This is marked invalid, it's not going to happen because you're one of the few who are butthurt about it. Don't take my words as the voice of the community, but from me personally, either play easier maps/stop sucking ass, use the alternatives provided or get lost.

This is the mechanic of the game, maps should be changed according to it rather than the engine according to them.

HP drain may make things harder, but there'd be little point to playing if everything was handed to you on a silver plate. People enjoy the challenge, half the fun is improving and being able to pass what's challenging.

This game, from the majority of replies to this topic, is EXTREMELY elitist. Surprised there isn't an "Elitist Jerks" website/forum for this game. I'm being genuine.
The debate could not be more over. At this point I'm simply defending my ideals while accepting they won't be implemented into the game.
jesse1412

ImmortalChibi wrote:

boat wrote:

HP drain may make things harder, but there'd be little point to playing if everything was handed to you on a silver plate. People enjoy the challenge, half the fun is improving and being able to pass what's challenging.

This game, from the majority of replies to this topic, is EXTREMELY elitist. Surprised there isn't an "Elitist Jerks" website/forum for this game. I'm being genuine.
The debate could not be more over. At this point I'm simply defending my ideals while accepting they won't be implemented into the game.
It's kind of true, we're very elitist really. If you're gonna suck, suck in silence, most players tend not to care about you unless they're mappers making normal diffs for 12bpm songs. This game is pretty easy really, most games you have to think about what you're doing and the consequences of actions; in osu! you simply click the circles, doesn't get much simpler than that my friend.

Alternatively I can be a very nice person and make you a simple little custom skin that removes the HP bar, then you can happily play with nofail without a care in the world.

Here you go.

Place the folder inside your skins directory and select it in game, C:\Program Files (x86)\osu!\Skins

Sorry for being an elitist asshole.
TheVileOne
I don't think you're being fair. You're acting like newbies can't play this game unless this feature is implemented. Most people can play this game with No fail. I don't think realizing when you fail and playing the game are the same thing as you're trying to imply. No fail and the unranked mods are focused towards the newbies. I don't think it is elitist to ensure competitive score submission when adding a handicap to the game. It isn't that hard, it just takes some amount of practice.
Natsu
Im wonder why no body lock this topic? xD
TheVileOne
It would probably be in bad taste if this was locked. The OP's arguments are valid. The premise is just too different than what everyone is used to and what management wants.
Topic Starter
ImmortalChibi
The topic actually was locked. I think the strong seagull guy unlocked it though so he could get his word in. He just probably forgot to lock it again.
I wish it were locked. It's dead. Ha ha.

Oh and it was renamed "invalid"
peppy
For what it's worth, I removed HP drain from osu!stream, and I would still consider doing it in osu! were it not to cause issues with all previous records/maps.
Topic Starter
ImmortalChibi

peppy wrote:

For what it's worth, I removed HP drain from osu!stream, and I would still consider doing it in osu! were it not to cause issues with all previous records/maps.
Oh, I didn't realize it could cause problems with older maps. My programming knowledge is minimal and I thought it would just turn to empty code.
Thanks for your reply though. :)
peppy
Well, you have to consider that some maps are only hard due to the way HP drains.
TheVileOne
I would prefer that my maps have drain by default. It wouldn't be fun anymore without drain.
peppy
I agree that it adds to the intensity of gameplay.
Lapis-
Well... Stepmania is a really hard game and doesn't have draining HP. The OD/AR can also be set manually in SM (not quite the same but if osu! had this, dreams would become a reality..) But meh, osu! is a different game that values accuracy more than other music games. If you have good accuracy, you won't die to HP Drain if you're hitting most of the notes but dying on spinners cause of drain (See: BLue Night HR/DystopiaGround) sucks a lot.
GoldenWolf
Because spinning fast is also a skill and those very few maps challenges your spin, I never saw them as "bad" things. Maybe because I can spin fast idk, but it's just another kind of challenge like deathstreams and fullscreen jumps imo
Dexus
Well you could test and see a variety of maps to determine if removing drain is worth it or not. After extensive testing to determine if it's worth removing then it could possibly be worth it. HR would be a lot more possible on maps if drain were to be removed. Also if drain was removed would damage be buffed depending on OD?