forum

[invalid] #offtopic Channel

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +322
show more
deadbeat

Kanye West wrote:

So when is this going to happen.
yesteryear :<
[Dellirium]

Kanye West wrote:

That's why it would be moderated so shit like this doesn't happen.
What's the difference between this channel and #osu then?
Ephemeral
why not
JFRN
good idea, only for fun xD. +Support.
Stefan

[Dellirium] wrote:

Kanye West wrote:

Because it will have more swag.
Drafura
First : Who let these guys escape from the OT subforum ? I thought they was trapped forever right there :(
Corin
This is the worst idea ever to be thought by humans.

+star
Kitsunemimi

[Dellirium] wrote:

Kanye West wrote:

This.

If anything, I'd prefer an #ontopic, because #osu is already filled with so much spam and shit that I want a cooler place to be to keep my sanity. And no, #modhelp is no good either because for a while now, it's often either been completely dead, or some random people who I don't know are using the entire channel up.

However I still really just dislike this idea nonetheless.
Mercurial
I'm with you Kitsu but... what does #ontopic means for you?
Soner Wolf
support!
Konei
Yeah :3
Kanye West

Kitsunemimi wrote:

If anything, I'd prefer an #ontopic, because #osu is already filled with so much spam and shit that I want a cooler place to be to keep my sanity. And no, #modhelp is no good either because for a while now, it's often either been completely dead, or some random people who I don't know are using the entire channel up.

Well if there were an #offtopic, then #osu can have more game-centered discussion, with any offtopic discussion being moderated
Wojjan
two (2) cents: We're gonna have to be clear in that while the target audience is that of the Off-Topic forum it's gonna be impossible to incorporate its entire mentality into a channel.
ztrot
I can see the merit in add this channel but I fear the cons would out weigh the pros not only that some would take the channels name off topic as a justification to spam shit everywhere and we have enough problems keeping #osu civil on some nights.
MillhioreF
We could have Wojjan !kill everything that moved. Yeah, that'd work.
ztrot
yeah I don't think that is gonna work to well we have two dedicated ops for #osu as is now and they have a tough time on some day (in no way am implying it is utter hell 24/7)
and one wojjan, iirc I could be wrong been out of staff for a bit, wojjan is just a forum op right?
Kitsunemimi

Kanye West wrote:

Kitsunemimi wrote:

Well if there were an #offtopic, then #osu can have more game-centered discussion, with any offtopic discussion being moderated
Whoops I'm late. But yeah, basically, that's not going to be the case (unless you make #offtopic the default channel), because all the spammers and little kids and foreigners and people who are otherwise too retarded to join any other channels will continue to fill #osu up with shit regardless of whether an #offtopic exists or not - it would be impossible to control any of it because there's nothing to force them into #offtopic in the first place unless you actually make it the default channel.

Therefore, it would be better to have a different channel for more... well, coherent conversations (instead of the other way around). This is essentially the case with #modhelp, but that place just hasn't been as lively as it used to be since some people don't come and visit so often any more...
Suzumiya-H

Kitsunemimi wrote:

Whoops I'm late. But yeah, basically, that's not going to be the case (unless you make #offtopic the default channel), because all the spammers and little kids and foreigners and people who are otherwise too retarded to join any other channels will continue to fill #osu up with shit regardless of whether an #offtopic exists or not - it would be impossible to control any of it because there's nothing to force them into #offtopic in the first place unless you actually make it the default channel.

Therefore, it would be better to have a different channel for more... well, coherent conversations (instead of the other way around). This is essentially the case with #modhelp, but that place just hasn't been as lively as it used to be since some people don't come and visit so often any more...
I'm honestly really surprised there needs to be a rule that multiplayer talk should be discussed in #lobby, yet people talk about licking each other so often that you wonder about their sanity. As for the trolls spamming, you can always just refer to them to #offtopic, I don't think it'll be any harm to put it as default channel(and have it manually taken off in the options menu).

My only concern is definitely the quality of discussion, you can't change it overnight and you won't be able to see a significant change(or it'll probably change for the worse).

Instead of #offtopic, it should be #english, only it's moderated. Offtopic = Language in terms of discussion anyway.
Kuro
A #offtopic would be nice, it would definitely help get rid of people that aren't even talking about osu! related things.

I agree that #offtopic should be made the default channel it would keep people who aren't talking about the game in one channel that was made just for them.
However, the default channel should be changeable because i'm tired of seeing #osu because I don't use it anyway. I want my default channel to be #taiko because I play taiko so I'm always in #taiko and we talk about taiko related things there (most of the time) so the name speaks for itself. But the same can't be said about #osu, every time I see it people are ALWAYS talking about useless shit so it's basically just a placeholder for me.

People that actually want to talk about the game will change their default channel to their respective game modes. (#osu, #taiko, #ctb, or #osumania)
Everyone else who don't or won't care and will just stay in #offtopic.

As of right now, #osu IS #offtopic to most people so it can't get any worse than that for #osu. :x
Foxtrot
24/7 OT? Dear God, who would want that?

Me.
Sakura

Kuro wrote:

However, the default channel should be changeable because i'm tired of seeing #osu because I don't use it anyway. I want my default channel to be #taiko because I play taiko so I'm always in #taiko and we talk about taiko related things there (most of the time) so the name speaks for itself.
Huh, what? you can already do that, the game should be opening at startup the last channel you had active when you exited last time.
Flanster
I do not support this.
Chugging your votes down won't help imo.

No.

No.

No.

and

No.
Tsukimi Luna

Lolicore Flandre wrote:

I do not support this.
Chugging your votes down won't help imo.

No.

No.

No.

and

No.
:(
Thats too bad orz
H_Hitachiin
As if the #osu channel wasn't already off topic itself.
Ephemeral
only people who regularly post in OT have any credence to give input to this idea, really
Anzo
Yes, so new players will not think, "WTF is wrong with this channel?"

I prefer having another channel name aside from #offtopic, just like Suzumiya-H mentioned, #english, #fun or something
H_Hitachiin

Anzo-nii wrote:

Yes, so new players will not think, "WTF is wrong with this channel?"

I prefer having another channel name aside from #offtopic, just like Suzumiya-H mentioned, #english, #fun or something
#Freechat?
Kuro

Sakura wrote:

Kuro wrote:

However, the default channel should be changeable because i'm tired of seeing #osu because I don't use it anyway. I want my default channel to be #taiko because I play taiko so I'm always in #taiko and we talk about taiko related things there (most of the time) so the name speaks for itself.
Huh, what? you can already do that, the game should be opening at startup the last channel you had active when you exited last time.

Really? When I exit and open it again, it always defaults back to #osu D:
Kanye West
Why not have two default channels then?
Kuro

Kanye West wrote:

Why not have two default channels then?
What? You mean like having 2 channels open at once/side-by-side? If so, that would be pretty cool to see 8-)
theowest
I've always felt sorry for everyone without their own language specific chat.
Vext_old

So do I get to be chat mod on it if it becomes real for giving all this support? Ohoho.
ztrot
no, but you can sit there and look pretty with all that pink bby~
Quaraezha
Is it possible to have a channel that's only accessible through an invitation from an admin?
silmarilen
there is #lounge so i dont see why not

but i dont think its very nice to have a secret channel only for certain people, just make a seperate channel on a different server then or something
Kanye West
I love how this has over 300 SP and no one's posted in over a month. Anyway, I've always been wondering about something? Why aren't users allowed to create their own channels?
Wishy
Cause osu!'s goverment is tyrannical.
Marcin
Because it could create a mess.
[Luanny]
Because people would create channels like #fap #pr0n #cookiezi_lovers_here etc
Quaraezha
#nazis
Vish024

Kanye West wrote:

I love how this has over 300 SP and no one's posted in over a month. Anyway, I've always been wondering about something? Why aren't users allowed to create their own channels?
You've gotta be kidding me mate, if users wanted their own channel to chat with multiple people they can just create their own multi room.

Aside from that it would result in total and utter chaos to give all users the right to open channels on the server.
theowest
also this t/19891/
Kanye West

LaVolpe024 wrote:

Kanye West wrote:

You've gotta be kidding me mate, if users wanted their own channel to chat with multiple people they can just create their own multi room.

Aside from that it would result in total and utter chaos to give all users the right to open channels on the server.
It wouldn't be too hard, most IRC servers allow users to create channels. They're not in "total and utter chaos". And yeah, this feature request and the one theowest linked to are actually really similar.
Wishy

LaVolpe024 wrote:

Kanye West wrote:

I want to join a channel with only my friends, be able to go play a map, come back and read what they said, while one of my other friends is playing another different map, etc. It's just a private channel that won't bother anyone.
Quaraezha
The problem would be moderation and it would be impossible for all created channels to be moderated.
It's already tough to moderate individual #multiplayer rooms but at least those are temporary. Even though mods rely on !report.
Wishy
You don't need to moderate private channels.
Cyclohexane

Wishy wrote:

I want to join a channel with only my friends, be able to go play a map, come back and read what they said, while one of my other friends is playing another different map, etc. It's just a private channel that won't bother anyone.
Thank god Skype exists
Wishy
Oh right, why do we have a friend list? private conversations? public channels? Let's all use IRC and disable all social features from osu!.

Now think again, why do you think we want that?
Kanye West

Wishy wrote:

You don't need to moderate private channels.
Yeah, pretty much this. Why do #multiplayer channels need to be moderated in the first place.

Mr Color wrote:

Wishy wrote:

Thank god Skype exists
Some of us don't have the computing capability to run skype *and* osu! at the same time.
Yarissa
Not to mention that sometimes I don't want to add EVERYONE I know from EVERY game I play on skype. My friends list would be so big that I would start forgetting who people are (especially because people tend to use their real names on skype (at least in my experience))
Kanye West
300 star priority where is #offtopic peppy pls