forum

Why not many people playing Taiko mode

posted
Total Posts
show more
TheVileOne
It's annoying, blurry, and requires hand-eye coordination that I do not possess.
OzzyOzrock
because a majority of people quit trying after their first try

>_>
DakeDekaane
Because playing Taiko with keyboard isn't comfortable to many people, specially in Oni and some Muzukashii, Taiko requires a lot of coordination, a joystick or something like a drums peripheral, makes easier this, but I have no idea if there are something like that compatible with osu!
Touche

OzzyOzrock wrote:

>_>
thissssssssss

taiko is only dedication and practice :3

i think other rhythm games players can play it, especially Stepmania/Beatmania/DJMAX/EZ2DJ players :3
Aqo

buny wrote:

taiko is very hard to get in to
This, really.

Due to the difficulty of finding low-diff maps to play on that actually help you improve.
Even if you can find them, most lowdiffs focus on simple patterns and some basic timestamps which doesn't really teach somebody coming from osu into taiko anything at all. The only way to learn taiko is by playing muzu/oni with HT to get maps that actually teach you taiko patterns while being at a speed that you can follow as a beginner.
XK2238
<post>
<justsaying>

darkmiz wrote:

Because taiko lacks the visual appeal like standard, it doesn't have flashy gameplay, and there are too few taiko skins.
It's like taiko is only meant to be played by hardcore rhythm gamers.
appearance doesn't matter in Taiko. (except the kiai, on my side)

Oinari-sama wrote:

I tried to like Taiko but it just never worked for me. I really hate the over-powering hit sound killing the music (well duh - it's Taiko afterall, supposed to be loud).
if you use the Taiko skin, it is. Why not try removing the hitsound files and see if it can be better?

TheVileOne wrote:

It's annoying, blurry, and requires hand-eye coordination that I do not possess.
I've never encountered any blurs, really (or is it because of my skin?). What FPS do you play on? Also, Std requires the same thing y'know >.>

OzzyOzrock wrote:

>_>
^ preferably this

DakeDekaane wrote:

Because playing Taiko with keyboard isn't comfortable to many people, specially in Oni and some Muzukashii, Taiko requires a lot of coordination, a joystick or something like a drums peripheral, makes easier this, but I have no idea if there are something like that compatible with osu!
NOT a must, and NOT 100% true.

Aqo wrote:

buny wrote:

This, really.

Due to the difficulty of finding low-diff maps to play on that actually help you improve.
Even if you can find them, most lowdiffs focus on simple patterns and some basic timestamps which doesn't really teach somebody coming from osu into taiko anything at all. The only way to learn taiko is by playing muzu/oni with HT to get maps that actually teach you taiko patterns while being at a speed that you can follow as a beginner.
this, too, isn't a must. I began my Taiko career AND improved my skills with Std maps (on the early 2-3 months or so), and I don't see why do you have to play Taiko diffs/maps from the beginning (of your Taiko career).

</justsaying>
</post>
lolcubes
I have to agree with people here that there are few maps which can provide a proper entry level into the game mode.
I am not playing taiko that often, but when I do I cannot play a lot of maps because I am not skilled enough. My problem is that there are almost no maps which have a good difficulty transition, so I am stuck in an area where Muzukashii diffs are somewhat easy for me, while Oni diffs are impossible most of the time for me.
Natsu
I try to play taiko but I realized I'm the worst player in taiko xD
OnosakiHito
It's funny. Actually the community is way larger if we don't just consider osu!-taiko. :lol:
Well, we are receiving more and more easier maps.
kriers
I'm sure everyone will run over to play tako now, Flandre XKarlet!

Reason why I stayed away from taiko is because if I play something, I want to be super good at it, and I just can't bear with working hard enough to enjoy taiko to the fullest. I got standard PP ranks to feed!
JappyBabes
Two Reasons:
  1. Didn't know it existed for quite some time.
  2. Don't have 120Hz so everything kind of blurs on fast maps.
Aqo

Flandre XKarlet wrote:

this, too, isn't a must. I began my Taiko career AND improved my skills with Std maps (on the early 2-3 months or so), and I don't see why do you have to play Taiko diffs/maps from the beginning (of your Taiko career).
Some people don't want to wait 2 months until they can start playing real maps.
XK2238

JappyBabes wrote:

Two Reasons:
  1. Didn't know it existed for quite some time.
  2. Don't have 120Hz so everything kind of blurs on fast maps.
my ordinary LG monitor is only up to 60 Hz, but no blurs at all (as I've mentioned earlier in my post, I don't know whether it's because of my skin or not). My osu is at around 140/150~170fps.

Aqo wrote:

Flandre XKarlet wrote:

Some people don't want to wait 2 months until they can start playing real maps.

^ I forgot to tell you that. orz
Oinari-sama

Flandre XKarlet wrote:

Oinari-sama wrote:

I tried to like Taiko but it just never worked for me. I really hate the over-powering hit sound killing the music (well duh - it's Taiko afterall, supposed to be loud).
if you use the Taiko skin, it is. Why not try removing the hitsound files and see if it can be better?
Eh? What do you mean? Wouldn't that mute the hitsound completely? It would be nice if the hit sound level can be adjusted in Taiko.

I've only played a few maps that has a traditional Japanese theme, in which the Taiko hit sound level doesn't really bother me since it blends in with the music nicely. Those are really really old maps like ookami...
karterfreak

Oinari-sama wrote:

Eh? What do you mean? Wouldn't that mute the hitsound completely? It would be nice if the hit sound level can be adjusted in Taiko.

I've only played a few maps that has a traditional Japanese theme, in which the Taiko hit sound level doesn't really bother me since it blends in with the music nicely. Those are really really old maps like ookami...
While the hit sound volume might not be directly adjustable for taiko specifically, you CAN modify your global hitsound volume in the options and find one that suits you for when you're playing taiko.
Oinari-sama
I see. Might give that a try sometimes.
XK2238

Oinari-sama wrote:

Eh? What do you mean? Wouldn't that mute the hitsound completely?
default skin's hitsounds will be loaded instead.
[Luanny]
well, default hitsounds aren't that good...
you can make custom hitsounds for your taiko skin with lower volume or muted, though
MMzz
You know uhh.

Maybe people just don't want to?

Like seriously you don't have to get so technical.
KinomiCandy
getting bored of it
Seph
Maybe because taiko is pretty hard when you're not experienced enough.

Been playing for 2 months or so and i just started passing onis ;_;
[Luanny]
it took me 3 months to play Onis decently and I'm still noob ._.
taiko y u so hard
-Dreamy-_old
I tried taiko once but it was a little hard and somewhat boring or I guess that's just me =/
Rokk
It's very blurry, and I often get confused quickly. I play it every now and then, but I'm not exactly good.
aRtii-
Yup, it's very blurry
JappyBabes
actually i think i'll change my reasoning as to why i don't play taiko to this:

i can't leave standard for one second without losing my top ranks :<
Nanasaki-
For many people is it hard to play Taiko, because it's too hard, too fast or something else.
If you play Taiko often, you get into the speed of some maps and play them.
Mithos
The main issue people have is the controls, or lack of instructions. A simple pop-up the first time you play showing something like this would fix things.

(Z)(X)(C)(V)

People just don't correlate the keys with the colors.
Rakur
Taiko it's awesome, although I haven't played for a long time, and at the beginning was difficult. Now i love Taiko. :) :P
YunoFanatic
accuracy
Alphernal
Oh great, So that explains why I never see people in Taiko multiplayer mode.
Great, Just... Fantastic.
And no, I ain't going to play with people I don't understand.

What I find the hardest yet? BPM speed change and random spots where you gotta spam and wish for luck.
wasonz
:) Taiko can make you Finger Sprain :)
xtrem3x
I played taiko since a friend showed me the game on PSP (November 2011, even though my account says it was 4 years old) and the rest is history.

Also .. do not play because they think it's hard mode.
but fun easy or hard
RingsOfRage

YunoFanatic wrote:

accuracy
Indeed, accuracy!

I initially don't take a strong liking to taiko in the first place due to the tendency to miss more often than not. When I played standard more, accuracy was better. And it was that second chance that I gave to taiko a months back that gave me this sensation of going with the rhythm, a sensation I myself can't compare elsewhere as of now.

Another reason I think taiko is not so receptive here is the MP. You don't see a multi player game that facilitates a fun multi player game. The way I look at it, many games use Oni difficulties for maps or had a significant number of veterans playing together.

Bottom-Line: Taiko is tough at first, but will reward dedication that conquers its initially steep learning curve.
Seikunai
Thought it was complete crap at my first try.

Then I got sick of playing Standard and decided to play Taiko a week ago.

Now I have to say that I love it now, and I think I'm getting better. FC'ing Muzus atm.

Still can't do those very close katsus/dons that require me to smash my keyboard. -.-

I think people get turned off by how hard it looks, simpleness, etc. but they're missing out a lot. ;)
seasonS

buny wrote:

That's true but, once you get into it it's pretty easy :3. People just need to give it a try for a longer period of time. When something is difficult it like turns them off of it right away instead of trying to get better D:

Taiko is pretty fun plus I love the hit sounds<3
Asagi Mutsuki

YunoFanatic wrote:

accuracy
I suck at accuracy too but I'm still mainly playing Taiko though :P
Seikunai
People need to realize how fun Taiko is. It looks boring and hard at first. But when you get used to it, it's fun. :D
Asagi Mutsuki
And also its children friendly :P

RingsOfRage wrote:

YunoFanatic wrote:

accuracy
Indeed, accuracy!

I initially don't take a strong liking to taiko in the first place due to the tendency to miss more often than not. When I played standard more, accuracy was better. And it was that second chance that I gave to taiko a months back that gave me this sensation of going with the rhythm, a sensation I myself can't compare elsewhere as of now.

Another reason I think taiko is not so receptive here is the MP. You don't see a multi player game that facilitates a fun multi player game. The way I look at it, many games use Oni difficulties for maps or had a significant number of veterans playing together.

Bottom-Line: Taiko is tough at first, but will reward dedication that conquers its initially steep learning curve.
Taiko is easy if you ignore accuracy :roll:
Chokladboll
I try to play taiko, but I am really bad at it
show more