Ephemeral wrote:

RSI
most likely
Tanzklaue

thelewa wrote:

Ephemeral wrote:

RSI
most likely
would suck, RSI and carpal tunnel syndrom are basically the death of any atempt of competitive gaming.

also a lot of other things get really uncomfortable

do you have pain while playing? normally RSI comes with quite a lot of pain. if you have pain, then you should get checked by a doc, because it could seriously damage your wrist.
Topic Starter
Kethsar
From what I've read of RSI, I would most likely be feeling pain, and I do not. I also read, though, that it can be associated with reduced motor skills and endurance. I do have the reduced motor skills, when streaming, but I still have my endurance. Another thing, when testing how fast I can single click, the little program gave me a result of 120 BPM.
Tanzklaue
try single tapping with the other finger. if you are equally fast with both fingers, then I would assume either a mental block or something llike RSI in its beginning stages.
thelewa
or then you singletap with your wrist like everyone else
Aqo
how did you pass rog-limitation with 180bpm

ontopic~ it might actually be a hardware or software issue with some level of input drops. Try a different PC with a different keyboard and see if you can still stream like you always have. You said you get 120 with singletap. You might get the 2nd key blocked for some reason on your PC/keyboard. If your keyboard doesn't support ghosting/nkro it might be the issue, although with just 2 keys this shouldn't be an issue... but it seems to be the case here.
G0r
Another hardware issue that you can have is a change in FPS. If you were suddenly playing on an average laptop, for instance, then you'd get a bad frame rate. The same goes for if you changes your overall FPS settings. I'm not saying that this is what is causing your problem, but it came to mind along with the other suggested hardware problem.
Topic Starter
Kethsar
It's not a hardware or software issue, I can assure you guys that. It's genuinely me not being able to alternate between my fingers fast enough. That's why I'm so confused, cause one day I was fine, the next my fingers didn't want to work with me.

Also, it's not hard passing rog-limitation with 180 BPM. The health drain is decently forgiving, and there's really only 3 or 4 areas in the map that may put one at risk of failing, if the cause is stream speeds.
G0r
Ok, could be psychological, then. I find that sometimes, in the process of improving at a skill, I first show a marked decrease in my ability at it before showing a great increase. I figure it's something to do with how the mind learns by deviating from what it already does until it finds better ways to do things. Secondly, there is such a thing as overoccupation with a problem. If you are focusing too much on the streams, then you may actually cause yourself to fail them by creating anxiety. Too, sometimes one may place their expectations above their actual performance, because they believe that they should be performing at a certain level, which is in reality just above their current level. This is a natural component of self challenging, however, and would lead to greater skill.

Don't wear your hands out by playing excessively to prove that you can still stream. Play hard, but don't obsess about it. You'll get there again naturally. The only thing to watch out for is signs of RSI. I often play beyond my limit, and often have a sore or tired hand when I am done, but I've never experienced the warning signs for RSI, nor have I felt that I've caused excessive strain. One thing that you can do, if you feel like strain is creating a problem, though, is increase your resolution, and failing that you can decrease your DPI. All of this makes it easier on your muscles after time to adjust. I have a good idea of where my limit is and how far I can go beyond it when I want to keep going. Be sure to gauge yourself.

I hope you are able to get back on track.
Topic Starter
Kethsar
My first thought was that it's psychological as well. I almost never feel sore after playing osu! for long periods of time anymore. I don't think I've ever experienced the warning signs of RSI either, and I try to minimize the strain I cause myself. I do have a feeling that if I practice in the correct way, I should be back up to speed within a couple of months. It just really sucks, cause most of the songs I like need the skill I had to pass them.
Valentiino

thelewa wrote:

I singletap on my main finger by using wrist, and when I use my index finger, it's finger only. And it has much greater speed, accuracy and endurance than compared to my middle finger. Still I can't make my index finger my main finger ;w;
Tanzklaue

Valentiino wrote:

thelewa wrote:

I singletap on my main finger by using wrist, and when I use my index finger, it's finger only. And it has much greater speed, accuracy and endurance than compared to my middle finger. Still I can't make my index finger my main finger ;w;
everything he said, except that my indexfinger is slow as shit
Floks
You might take a break? A week off won't kill.
Ekaru

Floks wrote:

You might take a break? A week off won't kill.
This. Give your fingers a rest. I highly recommend this, actually; if it's a physical issue, which it very well could be, then it's very important for your fingers to take a break before anything happens. Better safe than sorry.
G0r
I actually had to stop playing for about a month during a trip, and when I started playing again I was playing better than I ever did before. Funny how that works.
Valentiino
I wonder if Finnish people are somewhat inferior when it comes to breaks. Whenever some1 takes a break that's longer than a week and they come back, they only play worse than they did b4 the break.
G0r
Clearly their midichlorian count is too low
lolcubes

thelewa wrote:

Real men singletap with mouseclicks. :D

Ontopic, you should probably wait a few days and try again. Sometimes I am not able to even stream 170bpm 1/4 because my fingers just "don't work", usually warming up or relaxing helps, or I just skip a day.
Topic Starter
Kethsar
My initial plan was taking a week break, but I feel like I have nothing to do without osu!. ;-; Guess I'll hit the VNs and anime I have backlogged.
G0r
Lol. This happens to me every time I try to take a break for a day. XD I end up wanting to play so bad that I end up playing anyway. Honestly, I don't think it hurts to keep playing. You just can't strain yourself, if you think your hands have had it. If I really feel like I need a break, then I just beat something I know is no trouble for my muscles, but which might take some repetitive retrying.
nomen

Valentiino wrote:

I wonder if Finnish people are somewhat inferior when it comes to breaks. Whenever some1 takes a break that's longer than a week and they come back, they only play worse than they did b4 the break.
Lets see if same thing happens to latvian people when I get back home at 26th.
Yme
Same like OP, I lost my speed one day out of nowhere. However, what I did to recover back my speed was to take a short break, then later replay the most comfortable maps to regain speed. Start with slow streams until you're able to get used to (psychological affects your fingers too), then begin by playing faster beatmaps. I know how you feel. :p
G0r
I am currently in a slump myself. Just started doing wrist stretches to try to keep from getting too tense. Sometimes that can help if your hand has been getting too stiff.
Jordan
I never had stream skill ):
thelewa

Jordan wrote:

silmarilen

Jordan wrote:

CXu
^
Big Yikes
druidxd

lolcubes wrote:

thelewa wrote:

Real men singletap with mouseclicks. :D

Ontopic, you should probably wait a few days and try again. Sometimes I am not able to even stream 170bpm 1/4 because my fingers just "don't work", usually warming up or relaxing helps, or I just skip a day.
^This

I sometimes fell like my fingers aren't responding as well as they used to a couple days before, either I just don't play seriously that day (play WAY less and not competitive, just relaxing and warming up I guess) or take a couple days off to let my fingers rest, otherwise they won't be on good shape whenever I want to rank a couple of beatmaps, and it's really really annoying when that happens lol.
Jordan

druidxd wrote:

lolcubes wrote:

^This

I sometimes fell like my fingers aren't responding as well as they used to a couple days before, either I just don't play seriously that day (play WAY less and not competitive, just relaxing and warming up I guess) or take a couple days off to let my fingers rest, otherwise they won't be on good shape whenever I want to rank a couple of beatmaps, and it's really really annoying when that happens lol.
Now I know I'm not the only one <3
G0r

Jordan wrote:

druidxd wrote:

Now I know I'm not the only one <3
This happens to me too. I have a great day where I rank better on every map that I play, and my PP shoots up, and then sometimes I continue on that way, but other times I'll have a day or more where I just feel like I can't get up to speed, I can't click fast enough, or I'm just not on my game with accuracy. On those days I normally try to take it easy and not take things so seriously. I go back and just FC some stuff I previously skipped over, or I HD something long and slow. Sometimes those periods can last for a while, though. I find, however, that if I get really into reaching some goal, like HD HR on a map I couldn't do that on before, then sometimes I snap right back into playing well again. It's like sometimes I need that challenge to build up my energy and loosen up my muscles.
Wishy
Losing streaming speed/endurance is normal, I'm not as fast as I used to be when I played a few hours every day. It takes time to get fast again.

If you can't even do low BPMs (180) then it's probably just a bad day/your fingers are too tired. That happened to me and I couldn't stream even 180 BPM (I can reach 270+) at all, took 2 days off osu! and after that I could stream again.
CXu
180BPM -> Low
:( :( :(
G0r
I think 180 BPM is where it starts to get fast. It's like the threshold. Some 180 BPM maps feel faster than 200 BPM maps to me. I guess it depends on what sort of notes you are using.
Aqo

G0r wrote:

I guess it depends on what sort of notes you are using.
It depends on the stream spacing and OD :p

180 is definitely not slow. 140 is slow
G0r
I've also heard in a previous discussion that the timing of the notes can differ depending on the rhythm to make them actually occur faster without changing the BPM. I never quite understood the concept, despite my researching.
Jordan

CXu wrote:

180BPM -> Low
:( :( :(
nomen
180 BPM is slow? ;_;
Aqo

G0r wrote:

I've also heard in a previous discussion that the timing of the notes can differ depending on the rhythm to make them actually occur faster without changing the BPM. I never quite understood the concept, despite my researching.
You mean like, 1/6 streams? Which gives like 240 stream speed on a 160bpm map. Usually it's the other way around... people put 1/3 streams on 280bpm maps so that they'd be playable (i.e. only 210 speed)
silmarilen
the only beatmap close to 280 that has real streams is mad machine, and thats pure 1/4th afaik (not talking about unranked shit)
show more