General Pokemon Thread

posted
Total Posts
show more
Topic Starter
Ekaru

awp wrote:

Hika wrote:

The 3DS doesn't have a GBA slot? Why didn't I know this before? This just changes everything now...
Fortunately the 3DS can download GBA/GB games off of the online Marketplace, so if they wanted, they could support all six of the current generations on a single system.
They're only doing GB games for now, though.

BTW, my Riolu just evolved at level 18, so you shouldn't have to wait that long to get your Lukeypoo.
Hika
I should look up that Marketplace stuff right now before I worry too much.
Oh also, where's my Growlithe hiding also?! I want that especially. <3
Topic Starter
Ekaru

Hika wrote:

Oh also, where's my Growlithe hiding also?! I want that especially. <3
It's in the complex in the second city. While there's grass outside of the complex, that does not have your Growlithe. You gotta go down further into the actual complex to encounter Growlithe.

As for the GBA slot issue, do you want to transfer Pokemon or do you just want to play the games? If you want to just play the games then you can get a refurbished GBA SP from GameStop for $30. If you want to transfer Pokemon than you can get a refurbished original DS for $50 from the same place. The original DS's backlight is "AAAAAAAH", though, but regardless, if they don't come out with those GBA games on the eShop then you can just get one of those devices.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, if you don't need to transfer any Pokemon than GBA SP + 3DS is the way to go; that would allow you to play pretty much any Nintendo handheld cartridge out there.
Hika
It's not a version exclusive is it? I've been wondering about that.

Also, I'd like to transfer Pokémon but I guess I'll just take the more complicating route by transferring to DSi then DSi to 3DS. I mean, it's not all that hard to do. All I worry about with the 3DS really is the size & the compatibility with the older games. Apparently, the graphics aren't all that good if I played some old Pokémon DS game or something. That's what I heard though.
Azure_Kite
I play Pokemon platinum, heart gold and black without an issue?
Hika
No graphic problems? Like anything different besides playing on a normal DS? I've only heard stuff about graphics.
Azure_Kite
Well, the scaling effect is really negligible in pokemon. It's the 3d games that look truly horrid to me
Crimmi
Does anybody here EV train here, cause i need to get some EV stats for my Lv. 56 Volcarona and basically i heard that it's Sp Attk stat could up by 3 and doubles up via EV training.
Topic Starter
Ekaru

Hika wrote:

No graphic problems? Like anything different besides playing on a normal DS? I've only heard stuff about graphics.
There's a slight blur due to upscaling. However, in Pokemon you won't really notice it after an hour or so.

Does anybody here EV train here, cause i need to get some EV stats for my Lv. 56 Volcarona and basically i heard that it's Sp Attk stat could up by 3 and doubles up via EV training.
First, you need to make sure you have enough free EVs to max out your Sp. Atk EVs. If you don't know what your Pokemon's EVs are, use Pokecheck to check. Then, do some basic math and see how many EV-reducing berries you need, if any. If you need some, get some and use them. You don't need perfect EVs here; you just want enough free EVs to let you reach 252 Sp. Atk EVs.

Then, you ideally want the PokeRUS and Power Lens. I could get you both of those, though you'd have to trade me something for the Power Lens 'cuz that requires about an hour or so of my time to get.

Once you have those, head off to the Celestial Tower and enjoy getting 10 Sp. Atk EVs a battle. Since you already know your EVs, you know how many battles you need to do to max out your sp. atk EVs.
mm201

Azure_Kite wrote:

Well, the scaling effect is really negligible in pokemon. It's the 3d games that look truly horrid to me
I find it the exact opposite. Pokémon's sprite art style doesn't take well to non-integer scaling factors, whereas 3D stuff just gets a little fuzzier.
Also the 3DS screen has higher gamma (which isn't software corrected) causing DS games to look more washed out than they do on a Lite.
Fortunately I have a perfectly well maintained Lite which I prefer to do all my Pokémon stuff on.
(And I have a pair of SPs for the occasional 3rd-gen trading.)

If this thread is taking the general route, I might as well mention that I love collecting shinies and have a very large armada of unique shinies. I also have lots of duplicates from the Pokéradar I'd be glad to share around.
Hika

Crimmi wrote:

If you haven't used Calcium on it, don't use it or else you'd be messing yourself up. Just go train in Celestial Tower & go fight the Elgyem that are on the third floor I think? Put a Power Lens on it just to be safe if you're going to try & raise Special Attack stat.

If you already used Calcium on it, it's kinda worthless to go EV training because you already maxed out those stats. You can have a total of 5XX EVs on one Pokémon. If you use Calcium, you only get 100 out of that 5XX so it's best to just breed Volcarona... if that's possible at least. I don't even recall what that Pokémon is.
Azure_Kite
As for me, well. I'm aiiming for a Living Pokédex. I currently have one shiny ;~;

I've got 67 Kanto, 44 Johto, 44 Hoenn, 29 Sinnoh and 138 Unova Pokémon. 468 seen total. 322/649 so far. I'm going to just breed Johto and Sinnoh starters for seen pokémon.

EDIT: You can still get EVs after a stat boosting item has made it reach 100, iirc.
Hika
I think it's possible to get EVs afterward but I'm not too sure about it. I'll just go read about it now just to make sure though.
Topic Starter
Ekaru

Hika wrote:

If you haven't used Calcium on it, don't use it or else you'd be messing yourself up. Just go train in Celestial Tower & go fight the Elgyem that are on the third floor I think? Put a Power Lens on it just to be safe if you're going to try & raise Special Attack stat.

If you already used Calcium on it, it's kinda worthless to go EV training because you already maxed out those stats. You can have a total of 5XX EVs on one Pokémon. If you use Calcium, you only get 100 out of that 5XX so it's best to just breed Volcarona... if that's possible at least. I don't even recall what that Pokémon is.
*is confused*

510 total, 255 cap per a stat. Vitamins get you up to 100 or so, and then you have to manually train the rest.
Azure_Kite
But if you wanna be really pedantic, you should strive to get 252/252/4 in another stat, though :3 Just for that extra point. Like a boss
Hika

Ekaru wrote:

510 total, 255 cap per a stat. Vitamins get you up to 100 or so, and then you have to manually train the rest.
/rapidnod

Yeah, I just realized. I actually had to call someone up on that...
Topic Starter
Ekaru

Azure_Kite wrote:

But if you wanna be really pedantic, you should strive to get 252/252/4 in another stat, though :3 Just for that extra point. Like a boss
That's what I do when I'm up for it. >.>;
Azure_Kite
hmmm, Once I'm done with my living dex I'll start raising them all to a certain level. Let's say 50 minimum, every pokémon.

I'll cap the timer in no time.
Topic Starter
Ekaru

mm201 wrote:

If this thread is taking the general route, I might as well mention that I love collecting shinies and have a very large armada of unique shinies. I also have lots of duplicates from the Pokéradar I'd be glad to share around.
I'll trade you my shiny Krokorok for one of those dupes. ;P
Crimmi

Hika wrote:

Crimmi wrote:

Hmm thanks, because back in the past I people who had the same pokemon with the same nature with just higher stats than mine.

BTW, does anybody use the pokemon from the Orre region? (Pokemon Colosseum & XD: Gale of Darkness)
Azure_Kite
Well, the Orre region had no region specific pokemon, so nobody would really bother with them unless you wanted a few Pokemon with ever so slightly different movesets
Crimmi

Azure_Kite wrote:

Well, the Orre region had no region specific pokemon, so nobody would really bother with them unless you wanted a few Pokemon with ever so slightly different movesets
Snorlax with Curse, Refresh and Explosion?

:D

Plus i can get some of the Legendary Birds & Dogs without the hassle of searching in the bushes and seeing them flee :(

plus training in Mt. Battle is a bitch at Level 7.

Also Currently Training; Jolteon (Lv. 68), Hitmonchan (Lv. 73), Blaziken (Lv. 95), Bayleef (Lv. 75), Cacturne (Lv. 60) & Gardevoir (Lv. 93).
Hika
I've never had a fateful encounter with ANY shiny Pokémon. Just saying.
Katze
the only shiny pokémon I ever cought was a boldore..
but I'm not searching for them c:
Azure_Kite
Funnily enough, I just found a shiny Golduck along route 14, in a double battle. Lol.

Current LP Progress: (Gee, filling up all 30 slots in a box is such a good feeling (Damn you, Archen and Cryogonal. Why must your capture methods be so random/seasonal))

Hika
Pokémon Black & White 2 is set to come out in America on October 7th as for Europe, October 12th.
Man, I am already planning that day four months ahead of time.
Katze

Hika wrote:

Pokémon Black & White 2 is set to come out in America on October 7th as for Europe, I think October 10th.
Same here, I'm so excited! :3
awp

what am I doing with my life
Topic Starter
Ekaru

Hika wrote:

Pokémon Black & White 2 is set to come out in America on October 7th as for Europe, October 12th.
That's a wait of.... 3.5 months. 6 + 3 months = Sep. 23, and then around 15 days from there to get to Oct. 7th. Shortest wait for a mainstream Pokemon game ever, I think?

Well, time to stop my illegal activities and work on my new HGSS file I started last night, I suppose.
Hika
Localization sure as hell isn't going to be that long with this game. I'm actually looking into those remakes of R/S/E now that I have the release date.

I've planned my week of October 7th accordingly. I shall get the game when Game Stop opens then I will take the game home & leave it on a desk. I will put it in a plastic bag & treasure it until Monday before I start kicking some Steven Stone ass.
theowest

awp wrote:

that is amazing. you deserve a million fifty hugs
Vish024
Halfway through Black and gawd am I frustrated by how rubbish I've become at Pokemon.

SPOILER
This little bastard is the most annoying of the lot, I've never had half my team all confused and asleep at the same time

I was utterly baffled in my first experience of the rotation battle

And this little cretin decimated half my team.

My team is just pathetic, no other word for it. Honestly, they're all slower than a bloody flying/psychic retarded bat and can't endure a Super Fang without fainting. I have some real catching up to do.
Azure_Kite
Since when has Super Fang been able to faint you? lol. It does Half HP damage, iirc

EDIT: Black/White portion of my living Pokédex is complete, with the exception of Meloetta, Keldio and Genesect.

Onto Sinnoh, Hoenn and Johto!
Topic Starter
Ekaru

LaVolpe024 wrote:

Halfway through Black and gawd am I frustrated by how rubbish I've become at Pokemon.

My team is just pathetic, no other word for it. Honestly, they're all slower than a bloody flying/psychic retarded bat and can't endure a Super Fang without fainting. I have some real catching up to do.
You should be getting the Lucky Egg soon. Once you do you'll want to train up some new Pokemon - the Lucky Egg combined with this game's exp system makes using 6 Pokemon a really, really good idea, so you'll want to ditch that Woobat and stuff. Some suggestions:

-When you get to the city with the 7th gym, grab a Stunfisk. I'm bloody serious. Make sure it has Static, too. That thing should not be used in serious play, but is awesome for in-game with the TMs you should have that point. Of course, its main use is for items; its sheer bulk combined with Static makes it great for using items. It was also my MVP near the end-game.

-Sawsbuck can do well. Give it Return, Jump Kick, and Horn Leech; it'll learn the latter two naturally by a relatively low level, and the first one is with a TM.

-Krookodile's amazing in-game, and even though Sandile is only level 16 or so, the way this game's exp. scales would make it no problem to get to a respectable level.

-Scrafty is also good.

Also, there's a water stone you can get by that point to evolve Panpour. Can't quite remember where it is, though. D: I think it's in Nimbasa, but it might have been Castelia.
Stefan
Yay \o\

So I own 702 Pokemons in my PC; Of course the 646 Pokemons, then all Unowns with ? and ! and I got my Remain Box for Pokemons what I've got two or more times. Well, I just hold them if they have their worth. Of course, I always take my Team pokemons into my boxes. I have in total only nine shiny pokemons. I catched three of them myself, the others are by friends. I'm quite proud on this, because there are pokemons from my very first game in the sapphire version and this is like eight years ago.
Azure_Kite
It's in Castelia Town. There's a man on the right most pier that asks what pan-poké you got, and he gives you their corresponding stone

TNG: How did you even with the box names? In My Black and Whites I get told off for having more than 4 numbers in a box name T_T
Hika
Water / Leaf / Fire Stone is in the first pier as soon as you walk into Castelia City from the bridge

Stop it Azure. I have a lot of free time on my hands since I know where a lot of things are...

I was watching some Pokémon World Championship on B / W 2 walkthroughs a couple of hours ago. I was quite amazed at the pretty graphics & the BGM was quite amazing. Ohhhhhhh yes. I shall head back to sleep now.
Stefan
I searched in the internet for a solution. So I found this:
The "O" and "l" (the small L) looks like "0" and "1".

So you can avoid the limit and you could name your boxes in this way:
OOl - O3O
O3l - O6O
O6l - O9O
O9l - l2O
l2l - l5O
l5l - l8O
l8l - 2lO
2ll - 24O
24l - 27O
27l - 3OO
3Ol - 33O
33l - 36O
36l - 39O
39l - 42O
42l - 45O
45l - 48O
48l - 5lO
5ll - 54O
54l - 57O
57l - 6OO
6Ol - 63O
63l - 650 <- I decided to name the End with 650 for troll about MissingNo. uehuehuehuh (You could also name it as G49)

It looks at the Game way better like here, try it out. :P
Azure_Kite
Ah yes, I see.

I'll just stick with the first pokémon's number :p
[KOR]Extream_Sigma

awp wrote:

OoSweetg5oO response?
show more