forum

Remove skins from beatmaps

posted
Total Posts
show more
Low

Ephemeral wrote:

if you do delete every image in your osu folder, you're going to have to redownload every single beatmap with images attached to it when osz2 comes around in order to be able to play them again.

i would advise otherwise.
Yikes.
I'm sure there's many people out there who delete skin elements and will be frustrated by this.
palion
guess some people are going to quit when osz2 comes out :(
ychao

Ephemeral wrote:

if you do delete every image in your osu folder, you're going to have to redownload every single beatmap with images attached to it when osz2 comes around in order to be able to play them again.

palion wrote:

Hence my short answer.
MLGnom

palion wrote:

Go ahead, they can quit. In their place new people will come that aren't going to cry about this. :3
Bittersweet
Well, play without them while you can, redl everything when you need. Easy xD
Pizzicato

Ephemeral wrote:

Zelmarked
So is the new osu! going to give you the option to turn off the pizaz or is it just not going to allow you to play if the files are missing?
kriers
Pretty much every good player I know hates osz2. Those who don't, belong to a minority that control all decisions being made regarding the future of this game. The rest are an ignorant bunch. no offense.
Zelmarked

kriers wrote:

Pretty much every good player I know hates osz2. Those who don't, belong to a minority that control all decisions being made regarding the future of this game. The rest are an ignorant bunch. no offense.
So you're saying we have to occupy wallstreet osu!

But that does sound bad if there isn't some way of disabling the junk. I don't, but I would like a way to do so. Skins are visually obstructive and there's no learning curve to confusion. If everyone could disable them, then I don't see any problem with the competitive nature of osu! being tarnished even if one could make the argument that hard to read notes somehow make you a better player. It's only bad as of now having to not be able to play skin free with no way of going back w/o redownloading the whole thing.
Bittersweet

Zelmarked wrote:

So is the new osu! going to give you the option to turn off the pizaz or is it just not going to allow you to play if the files are missing?
t/47994

Who knows.

kriers, i understand that some skins/sbs ARE shitty to play with, but looking at what of people do, they just use it as a excuse to their problems at focusing. If they can't play even with a simple background, there's nothing good about them except keyspam and they shouldnt call themselfs good players. If they don't want to they're just a bunch of spoiled kids. No offense.
Sync
you know, Bittersweet

you're calling the best and most respected players here bad and spoiled

you should rethink your stance on this

though I'd rather the ability to delete elements not be taken away, what's going to happen is going to happen and I hope that it comes quickly because it seems like we're just holding our breath until it does
Bittersweet
Oh i know i am. Im not the kind of person that posts anything before think. And bad in that case dont refer to skill.

As i also know that if low skilled players can handle storyboards and even really bad skins, why high skilled ones can't?
Shellghost
There's competitive, and then there's the guy in the multi room, "Hold on a minute guys I have to delete the BG and skin of every single map I download before I can play them."
Cyclohexane
Trying not to get too much in the debate here, cause I've been through this hundreds of times (map should be played as intended to, etc.)

I'll just say that I recommend the OP he only deletes the skins that really cripple his gameplay. Deleting every skin probably isn't the best idea you can have.
Plus, if you want to make a personal skin like I did but don't feel like creating a new one just pick elements from the skins you have (downloaded through maps or not) and put them together.
Shiirn

Ephemeral wrote:

hell yeah

fuck with peppy's bandwidth
ziin
>blaming a specific format rather than the mapper for making a crappy map.

Whine on folks. Maybe the mappers will finally listen. Or, *gasp*, the good players could start mapping.

I remember when osz1 came out, I was pissed that I couldn't delete overmapped notes anymore, since they made the song stupid to play.
Bittersweet

ziin wrote:

Whine on folks. Maybe the mappers will finally listen. Or, *gasp*, the good players could start mapping.
And i spent all this time blamming BATs for ranking those things. Silly me x'3
Shiirn

Bittersweet wrote:

ziin wrote:

And i spent all this time blamming BATs for ranking those things. Silly me x'3
blame specific people

not a group

that's like racism. except for groups. groupism.
Bittersweet
Sorry, Shiirn. You're right, and i do check who was the BAT who ranked maps that i dislike for some reason.

But i can't remember all the cases. Thats why i wrote "BATs" instead of "names". Hope you understand and forgive my groupist post. :<
Shiirn
You are forgiven!
Sync
You groupist!!
Pizzicato

Bittersweet wrote:

Oh i know i am. Im not the kind of person that posts anything before think. And bad in that case dont refer to skill.

As i also know that if low skilled players can handle storyboards and even really bad skins, why high skilled ones can't?
so a good player can play with any hardware with the same performance? ok.
it's a matter of comfortability. we choose to delete BG's simply because we're distracted by it and can't play on full potential.
Zelmarked
Yea as I was saying, there's no learning curve for confusion. If you are are good, a confusing skin is a detriment. If you are bad, a confusing skin is a detriment. So it's not bad players or noobs that are removing their skins. True, it's an advantage to remove your skins, but there wouldn't be complaints about a removal discrepancy if everyone could do it easily in the options menu.
Bittersweet

- Pizzicato - wrote:

Oh, dear. Look this:

SPOILER
Processor:
Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU E2140 @ 1.60GHz (2 CPUs), ~1.6GHz
Memory:
2048MB RAM
Hard Drive:
160 GB
Video Card:
Intel(R) 82945G Express Chipset Family
Monitor:
Sound Card:
Alto-falantes (Realtek High Definition Audio)

I've been playing with this since i got on osu. Don't tell me that "badass gammers" don't have better machines. Even if they don't, i doubt they have something much worse that a skin/sb would make it burn. So, your argument isn't valid. And you could play with your full potential, if it wasnt this habit people here have to "Oh, you want to be pro. Ok, buy a tablet, a blackwidow, leave your song folder free of images and play everything possible with doubletime". If you tried to get used to that, you most likely would. It's funny because other rhythm games (such as stepmania, pump etc) use way more flashy things, and still people can play them.

Zelmarked, maybe there's no learning curve for confusion, but there's something called adaptivity ;p problem is that players don't want to spend more than 10 mins in a map :p ofc there's some skins that affects gameplay badly, but the great majority of maps don't even have skins, and people still deletes it's bgs.

And i'm not saying here that i didnt delete some elements myself. I'm saying that delete EVERY image from a map, without even knowing if it will affect you or not, is stupid.
boat
Forcing us to keep the whatever custom elements of the map that the mapper wishes to shove in is bull.

I can play with other skins, but I don't like it. I don't want to see massive 300's and whatever hurranime stuff ztrot will pull out of his ass.

If its disrespectful to the people who make them (them being skins, storyboards e.t.c), then so what, they can suit themselves for putting in all that effort in vain if that's their mindset. I don't like it, a load of people who I know don't like it. Keeping it the way it is, meaning at the very least allowing us to get rid of the stuff that >we< don't want to play with, is perfectly fine. Why go spoiling something that the user can customize to his(/or her) own preference? Don't you want people to enjoy the game thoroughly?
Bittersweet
lulz, it sounded so like me last year. Except that the one i used to complain about huttanime stuff was DJPop :) And you know, like i said, i delete bad skinned elements too, they hurt my eyes. What i condemn here isn't deleting recolored 300 from default skin. Is go "herp derp see its an image lets derp delete it without even seeing it first". Also most of people that claims (most, not all) that needs to delete skins to enjoy the game won't be playing a map more than enough to fc it, which usually is fast, and then will never look at it again.

If you say the game will be ruined because you need to play a map with skin for, lets say, half hour, i'll laugh xD And~ you can always start to do what ziin does: help people to fix their skins, so it wont be a problem for you later :3
Zelmarked
Try this one bitter.

http://osu.ppy.sh/b/57528
Pretty much guarantee that the top players removed their skins. Can't blame em.
boat
You're retarded, bittersweet. Consider actually reading and understanding what I wrote.

If somebody wants to delete a skin element, then I see zero reason for not letting them do so. Their gain or loss, not yours, not the mappers, not peppys nor anybody elses but their own. They either don't get the whatever the fuck joy or whatnot that is the reason for those extra elements is, or they'll get a bunch of unnecessary new storyboard and skin elements to be bothered with.

Okay, it can add to the experience. But it doesn't necessarily makes the game more enjoyable to play.

I couldn't give one fuck less about custom skins, and there is no reason for me to bother with helping people making their skins less annoying, because at the very least the option of playing with the default skin should be there, although would be even better if you could play with the skin of your own choice.

The bad skins per se aren't what will ruin the game, its cutting off the freedom of choice that just might.
Bittersweet
Zelmarked, that's just DJPop being DJPop. Easier to make osu! community less idiot than finding a good skin on his maps.

Thanks, failboat. Your point was taken and i'd agree, but people are similar to monkeys and when you give them too much freedom they'll just throw shit everywhere.
boat

Bittersweet wrote:

but people are similar to monkeys and when you give them too much freedom they'll just throw shit everywhere.
And this is related to what? What are you implying will happen if you get the users the choice to get rid of skin elements?
Bittersweet
You don't really expects i'll keep an adorable talk with you about skins, do you? I thought you were smarter than that.
We have different views, i know yours, you know mine. End.
kriers
damn this was going so well, and then Bittersweet realized this and fled. Got massive respect for you now, failboat!
thelewa

failboat wrote:

You're retarded, bittersweet. Consider actually reading and understanding what I wrote.

If somebody wants to delete a skin element, then I see zero reason for not letting them do so. Their gain or loss, not yours, not the mappers, not peppys nor anybody elses but their own. They either don't get the whatever the fuck joy or whatnot that is the reason for those extra elements is, or they'll get a bunch of unnecessary new storyboard and skin elements to be bothered with.

Okay, it can add to the experience. But it doesn't necessarily makes the game more enjoyable to play.

I couldn't give one fuck less about custom skins, and there is no reason for me to bother with helping people making their skins less annoying, because at the very least the option of playing with the default skin should be there, although would be even better if you could play with the skin of your own choice.

The bad skins per se aren't what will ruin the game, its cutting off the freedom of choice that just might.
jag älskar dig
Zelmarked
Due to lack of communication, censoring, and non-transparency, I doubt much will be done on the "legit" side to get a toggle switch to turn off skins for the new format.
If anyone is working on a ethical circumvention, pm me, I'm interested.
Vish024
I have to agree with the option of deleting skin elements, I myself have difficulty seeing notes in some skins due to my retarded vision.

I'm not gonna go in depth and scribble an essay about it as I don't mind playing with the skin as I'm not too comepetitive about the game, this simply means that my scores will be rubbish. I don't understand why there's such a furore over this, it's not such a big deal to me..
Pizzicato

Bittersweet wrote:

- Pizzicato - wrote:

Oh, dear. Look this:

SPOILER
Processor:
Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU E2140 @ 1.60GHz (2 CPUs), ~1.6GHz
Memory:
2048MB RAM
Hard Drive:
160 GB
Video Card:
Intel(R) 82945G Express Chipset Family
Monitor:
Sound Card:
Alto-falantes (Realtek High Definition Audio)

I've been playing with this since i got on osu. Don't tell me that "badass gammers" don't have better machines. Even if they don't, i doubt they have something much worse that a skin/sb would make it burn. So, your argument isn't valid. And you could play with your full potential, if it wasnt this habit people here have to "Oh, you want to be pro. Ok, buy a tablet, a blackwidow, leave your song folder free of images and play everything possible with doubletime". If you tried to get used to that, you most likely would. It's funny because other rhythm games (such as stepmania, pump etc) use way more flashy things, and still people can play them.

Zelmarked, maybe there's no learning curve for confusion, but there's something called adaptivity ;p problem is that players don't want to spend more than 10 mins in a map :p ofc there's some skins that affects gameplay badly, but the great majority of maps don't even have skins, and people still deletes it's bgs.

And i'm not saying here that i didnt delete some elements myself. I'm saying that delete EVERY image from a map, without even knowing if it will affect you or not, is stupid.
ok look. i'm into comfortability here. the hardware thing was just an example. most of us delete SB's and BG's. of course deleting single and every elements on the map affect gameplay.
Card N'FoRcE
This discussion again?
The fairly major points of view came out in the topic Bittersweet linked before, so what is the point of discussing the same thing all over again?
The thread ended with some people behaving so bad to make peppy and other people change their mind about adding a toggle for skins and sbs, so you should thank them for that.

If you want maps to play competitively, go to mappers who make such "competitive" maps. If you want maps having some different kind of creativity or playability, go to them instead. Noone forces you to play any single map in the game: there will always be something you don't like and there's no point in messing up with a map to make it work as it's not supposed to unless you want to farm points for ranking. Doing so, unfortunately, makes you uncapable of complaining because you decide to play everything, so you should be able to adapt to every different point of view in mapping and accept it.
A different case may be for people with problems with their eyesight, but those are obviously unrelated to my argument and should be the only exception.

Also, seeing people treating mappers as bad as i saw in some posts is incredibly disappointing, considering it's them making every single map to play for the game :/
Cyclohexane
Practice makes perfect, even when visual stuff gets in the way.
If I'm able to play with every god damned forced skin I can encounter, I'm sure everybody else can since I'm no great player.
Just consider this as a challenge I guess? May seem like cheap difficulty, but is that gonna stop every pro player from trying to get the best score they can?

I'm sure it isn't.
Zelmarked
Visual incomprehensibility is not a challenge. In every osu! map, the objective is always the same, click the notes. Maps that are harder demand better accuracy, faster cpm, and the ability to change up from clicks to to sliders and back again. You will continue to get better in all of these skill fields as you play. One thing you WILL NOT get better at, is deciphering skins/BGs. You can play a single map and get used to that skin after continued play, but once you get to a different skin on a different map, nothing can prepare you for it the first time. Because, as I said, visual incomprehensibility is not a challenge. It's merely a distraction that hurts noob and pro players alike.
Rena-chan

Zelmarked wrote:

Visual incomprehensibility is not a challenge. In every osu! map, the objective is always the same, click the notes. Maps that are harder demand better accuracy, faster cpm, and the ability to change up from clicks to to sliders and back again. You will continue to get better in all of these skill fields as you play. One thing you WILL NOT get better at, is deciphering skins/BGs. You can play a single map and get used to that skin after continued play, but once you get to a different skin on a different map, nothing can prepare you for it the first time. Because, as I said, visual incomprehensibility is not a challenge. It's merely a distraction that hurts noob and pro players alike.
Reeeeeeaaaaaaaaally now ?

First off, Palette is a horrible example of the bullshit you're trying to explain. The map is easy to read both with the skin and SB.

Second, that's funny. I wonder how I can S maps with horrid skins on the first play, then ? The only time I've had to delete anything from a map in order to be able to play it, was a map that uses a mostly white background with white combo colours and AR9.
So please, explain to me how I learned not to be distracted by this "visual incomprehensibility" when you say there's no learning curve. Or am I just somehow magically better to keep focus only on the hit elements than "everyone" else ?
show more