forum

[Official Specifications] Storyboarding by Scripting

posted
Total Posts
show more
Rolled
I have no idea what this means, but somebody do some storyboard pls.
awp

Rolled wrote:

I have no idea what this means, but somebody do some storyboard pls.
afaik peppy's working on one, and I will be when I find the time.
AoTenshi_old
I'm bit of an artist myself and once I find out how to work this storyboard thing, I'll get to work on making storyboards for my beatmap, maybe sometime later, I'll may volunteer to make some for the folks as well!
This is my DA account where I upload some of my artwork on. ----> http://pani-poni-tenshi.deviantart.com

~Ao Tenshi
chan
Maybe since there's more beatmaps than artists out there, you could pick what songs you like and ask the creator if it's ok to make a storyboard for it. I'm sure most will be pretty happy to have you storyboard for them.
celcius_old
*pops a dunce cap on my head*
Anyone mind splainin' what a storyboard for Osu! is?
pokedigi
But no group?! Ooh...

Well.. I think there should be many clip to made. Like this:

Starring
Part1_50
Part1_100
Part1_300
Part1_pass
Part1_fail
Part2_50
Part4_fall
Ending_Good
Ending_Normal
Ending_Bad
Topic Starter
Echo
@pokedigi:

There's not really a point in making all that available because no one will be bothered to make it. Afaik, the original only has 'passing-excellent', 'passing-average', failing (these three during gameplay), pass/fail animations for each break/section, and good/bad endings.

With the current system, the only thing missing is the distinction between 'passing-excellent' and 'passing-average'.

@celsius:

The animations on the top screen in the original games for DS.
peppy
Updated specs to include looping and shorthand.
AoTenshi_old
One other question...
What do I have to do to be able to write script or where to start, Is there anything special I need to before I can begin writing the script?

~AO Tenshi
awp
Just a text editor. Open up your .osu file and type away!
Topic Starter
Echo
You'll need test build to be able to see the storyboard, I think... not sure if public has it implemented yet.

Ask peppy for test on irc if public doesn't work, I'm sure he'll give it to you.
peppy

Echo49 wrote:

You'll need test build to be able to see the storyboard, I think... not sure if public has it implemented yet.

Ask peppy for test on irc if public doesn't work, I'm sure he'll give it to you.
Public has all but looping and shorthand events. But yeah - contact me for test build.
Topic Starter
Echo
This is an example of what you can achieve with storyboarding (+ a lot of time):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6wKUlmFsAY
peppy
Good job on the intro echo ;).

* Added colour events to specs.
awp
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
peppy
Added parameters event to specification (for horizontal and vertical flipping only at the moment).
m980
Neat..

Hey can you add video in just like the .png files?

So..

4,0,1,"SliderDemo1.wmv",320,320
S,0,40500,40500,0.6,0.6
F,0,38000,38400,0,1

I just checked and it won't work.. can you add video though?
peppy
Best not to - video currently has issues on a lot of people's systems and therefore i would like to keep it totally independent of storyboarding
pokedigi
Better checking Loop Saving
peppy
An example of what goes wrong would be great :).
EiJi
Call me an idiot for not being able to figure this out...anyone wanna help me?

I'll right down what I want, and hopefully one of you can script it for me. Below I will post 3 times at which I want an image to pop up briefly and then disappear. It's the same image.

[pop up - disappear]
02.27.02 - 02.27.28
02.27.53 - 02.27.79
02.28.05 - 02.28.31

So script this, how would it be done?
peppy

EiJi wrote:

Call me an idiot for not being able to figure this out...anyone wanna help me?

I'll right down what I want, and hopefully one of you can script it for me. Below I will post 3 times at which I want an image to pop up briefly and then disappear. It's the same image.

[pop up - disappear]
02.27.02 - 02.27.28
02.27.53 - 02.27.79
02.28.05 - 02.28.31

So script this, how would it be done?
4,0,1,"image.png",x,y
_F,0,147020,147020,1,1
_F,0,147280,147280,0,0
_F,0,147530,147530,1,1
_F,0,147790,147790,0,0
_F,0,148050,148050,1,1
_F,0,148310,148310,0,0
awp
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
peppy

awp wrote:

you can leave x and y in the sprite's instantiation and it won't throw a parse error? Did not know that. I just sometimes threw in spurious numbers, myself.
uh, that was just a template.
peppy
Added animation specs.
Loginer
Flipping doesn't work, and rotating while moving = Cerebral Pares-attack.
Also, Weegee versus Michael Jackson. Who will win this battle of crappy animations? Is Weegee truly just another part of MJ? Stay tuned to find out.
peppy

Loginer wrote:

Flipping does work because Echo and I have both tested successfully. Can you give a specific example?

Rotating while moving should also be fine - as long as you set the sprite to centre-based origin.
Loginer

peppy wrote:

Loginer wrote:

Flipping does work because Echo and I have both tested successfully. Can you give a specific example?

Rotating while moving should also be fine - as long as you set the sprite to centre-based origin.
"
Oh. :/
Olinad
How will the storyboards be implemented? Will they be playing during all the song or only during the pauses? (I want the 3D dancers! :P )
James
Both.

3d images? If you got them...
mattyu007
ooooOOOO! This looks very nice (a little complicated tho....-_-) We CAN use video witht his it's just not recommended right? I'm thinking of trying storyboarding with my beatmap (Believe)
Topic Starter
Echo
Afaik video doesn't work. You can use multi-image animation though.
LuigiHann
You can storyboard on top of a video. Loginner did a little bit of that with his Dodongo map, and peppy did it with his m-flo one.
mattyu007
awwwww....I hope that gets implemented in the future, I was going to use the videos from the actual ouendan and storyboard them.....o well....
peppy
Loading videos during gameplay is something I'd REALLY like to avoid. This will likely cause lag as ffdshow/insertcodecnamehere reads the video into memory, and will then need to re-seek to get the syncing correct.
mattyu007
sigh, guess i'll have to learn how to do all those funky animations that they have on ouendan (oh gosh)
The scripting language is a little complicated tho?
awp
Eh, it's not that complicated. Just a lot of copypasta.

mattyu007
meh, we'll see

Loginer

LuigiHann wrote:

You can storyboard on top of a video. Loginner did a little bit of that with his Dodongo map, and peppy did it with his m-flo one.
NONE mispells my mame and getts away wit it. :[ *charges lasorz*
awp
Calm down, lolginer. Save it for the battlefield. The battlefield in which you will end them all.
show more