forum

Skinning tutorial (+ skinning support)

posted
Total Posts
show more
ziin

My1 wrote:

but it says that this option only applies in breaks or in "kaiai time" (dont aks me what that is I am the one who wants to know thies...)
but I said general and general means always
-> edit
OK I had enough of setting the col in the ini so I mad it with the image...
however is there an option to let the stars shine always
The stars only fall from the cursor during breaks and kiai time.
Breaks look like this in the editor: http://puu.sh/5bmq
Breaks are gray on the timeline, Kiai time is orange: http://puu.sh/5bmx
If you want to see the stars all the time, edit the beatmap so that kiai is always on.

During kiai time, the star changes color according to the combo color instead of starbreakadditive.
My1_old
and what is kiai time exactly???
ziin
It's a timing section which makes lighting.png show up behind all hitcircles, colorized to the hitcircle color, star2.png will be emitted from the cursor in the color of the hitcircle, and there will be a fountain of non-colorized stars at the very beginning of the timing section.
My1_old
so ok but is there something eöse special like bonuspoints or whatever
ziin
in taiko you get 10% more points.
My1_old
only in taiko???
man...
Neclory
someone knows what "LayeredHitSounds" means? I found it in a .ini file.
My1_old
can you say me where ya found it???
I can try it and say what I found...
and a question can sb. give me the original autopilot icon, I need it for skinning
but MAY I even use the standard skin (recolored)???
Topic Starter
MLGnom

Rin wrote:

someone knows what "LayeredHitSounds" means? I found it in a .ini file.
Errr where did you find that?
I think it's something related to the mapping (editor), not to the skin.ini . D:
My1_old

My1 wrote:

can sb. give me the original autopilot icon, I need it for skinning
but MAY I even use the standard skin (recolored)???
My1_old
little questiion what are hit100k hit300g and hit 300k for???
ziin
they are displayed at the end of a combo. 300g if you SSed it. 300k if you got a 100 somewhere. 100k if you got the last note as 100 but no 50s anywhere in the combo.

if you want the autopilot icon, just printscreen it.
My1_old
no screenshot makes It somehow darker...
dont ask me how and why It is just so...
Wassaaaa
parts that can be animated just go from 0 to 9 -.-" , there is a way to extend this? I'm wanting to create a great skin and i'm limited a lot these few numbers like the combobursts .-.
Topic Starter
MLGnom
Hmmm... I will check this tomorrow. But they shouldn't have limits. D:
I know there is no limits for comboburst (actually in one of my skin I have 20 of them)
Wassaaaa
how do you do?? i put a comboburst-10.png and only goes to 9 and start again from 0
EDIT: LOL, now i can put more comboburst. I have no idea what has happened, thanks :P see my other problem please

otherwise, the animation of ryuuta going too fast D: you can not handle the frame rate?
Topic Starter
MLGnom
Yep like I said. There is no limit amount of frames for animations.
Tested :
- Play-skip,
- Fruit ryuuta,
- Followpoint ,
- Sliderfollowcircle,
They had +10 frames and worked fine.

For making slower animation try using same pictures for few frames (Fruit ryuuta 1,2,3 - picture 1, Fruit ryuuta 4,5,6 - picture 2 etc.)
That's the only way to slowdown animations.

Also If you are making Fruit-ryuuta animation you should add also "Fruit-ryuuta.png" as sprite for character "dash". Probably it will need a small position correction.
-Napoleon-
I have a skin problem how to create hitsouds!
Wassaaaa

MLGnom wrote:

Yep like I said. There is no limit amount of frames for animations.
Tested :
- Play-skip,
- Fruit ryuuta,
- Followpoint ,
- Sliderfollowcircle,
They had +10 frames and worked fine.

For making slower animation try using same pictures for few frames (Fruit ryuuta 1,2,3 - picture 1, Fruit ryuuta 4,5,6 - picture 2 etc.)
That's the only way to slowdown animations.

Also If you are making Fruit-ryuuta animation you should add also "Fruit-ryuuta.png" as sprite for character "dash". Probably it will need a small position correction.
Thank you very much for helping me! appreciate it ^^
miffman
i know this is in odd question , but is there a hex or a code for color rotation? like it moves through every color. i think that would be pretty cool for a score bar
ziin
Edit: ah fuck I'm not in the Storyboard section. Feel free to ignore the rest of this post, has nothing to do with skinning. To make some element flash all colors, you need to have a frame for each color. you want to flash. If you want to do all 24 bit colors, it's going to be a huge amount. so if you just flash those 6 colors, and maybe throw in 255,127,0 (orange) in between the red and yellow section and continue that trend you'll have 12 colors.

yeah. sort of.
Barring black and white:

these are the colors you're looking at: RGB and CYM
if you put them in that order you'll get something like what you want I think.

_c,blah,blah,blah,255,0,0,255,255,0
_c,blah,blah,blah,255,255,0,0,255,0
_c,blah,blah,blah,0,255,0,0,255,255
_c,blah,blah,blah,0,255,255,0,0,255
_c,blah,blah,blah,0,0,255,255,0,255
_c,blah,blah,blah,255,0,255,255,0,0

You could do every color if you had enough time, but every color looks like this:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... colors.png
and it wouldn't be "fluid".
K a Y e
Where do you find that Skin.ini thing??

And by the way, What is Skin.ini? :?
Topic Starter
MLGnom

MLGnom wrote:

Skin.ini is a necessary file of any skin. It contains several major options of the skin.
You can find this file in any existing skin/template skin. (it should have notepad icon)
N A L U
What version do creators start with originally? Or do they make their own numbers? (like v0.6, v0.7 etc...)
Augh :o I'm stuck with this right now.
Topic Starter
MLGnom
Let's leave that to the skinner because it's only information for players if there were any updates ("oh, I have v0.5 of skin xxx but there is already v0.73) , but commonly v1.0 should be version of skin where skinner made everything that he/she wanted to do (after all it should have some parts skinned, for example - all gameplay parts).
N A L U

MLGnom wrote:

Let's leave that to the skinner because it's only information for players if there were any updates ("oh, I have v0.5 of skin xxx but there is already v0.73) , but commonly v1.0 should be version of skin where skinner made everything that he/she wanted to do (after all it should have some parts skinned, for example - all gameplay parts).
Thanks.
Alternate_old
What the... Well. this will be a awesome skin. :roll: :roll: OMG GOT A IDEA :idea: 8-)
Alternate_old
Nevermind...
Winshley

MLGnom wrote:

b) Unnecessary parts :
  1. default-dot, default-comma, default-x.png, default-percent - are no longer used
Just to point something minor. Actually, this is still used if you change the following inside your skin.ini:
[Fonts]
ScorePrefix: default
(Use the above code on default/template skin and you'll see how the default-dot, default-comma, default-x.png, and default-percent looked like in-game) :P

Though if skinners wanted to use the same PNGs on both score numbers and hit circle numbers, they would rather make duplicate PNGs for both score numbers and hit circle numbers or do the following instead :P:
[Fonts]
HitCirclePrefix: score

So yeah, it's still under "Unnecessary parts" indeed, only with wrong reason.
Napokue_DELETED
Hey,

Great guide you made i going make a skin soon!

Thanks,

Shenji
NoClue
I know I saw this somewhere on the forums, what is the max resolution size for backgrounds? I was making one for myself and 1920x1080 background didn't show in game.
Topic Starter
MLGnom
When you are adding pictures as background, they need to be in "4:3" resolution. Please, use 1024x768 resolution for best effect.
(higher resolutions are cropped by osu! D:)
NoClue
Gah! Lack of widescreen support fail ;-;. Oh well.
Tohob
where could i find information regarding the .wav and .mp3 files in a skin? i tried switching out a large number of them and they simply.. don't work. my best guess would be that the files have to be the same length but.. i don't really know anything about it.
ziin
go one by one. Make sure the custom sounds are not corrupted.
LawlietMatryoshka524
Thank you for the tutorial~ But I do have one question... How do I edit it? XD I'm an idiot, so I'm sorry if it was in the tutorial and I didn't understand.
Ok, so I download the template, and click on it, and it just opens it into osu! instead of like... GIMP or something... How do I open it to where I an edit it? ;D Thank you for reading this comment 0.0"
Topic Starter
MLGnom

LawlietMatryoshka524 wrote:

Thank you for the tutorial~ But I do have one question... How do I edit it? XD I'm an idiot, so I'm sorry if it was in the tutorial and I didn't understand.
Ok, so I download the template, and click on it, and it just opens it into osu! instead of like... GIMP or something... How do I open it to where I an edit it? ;D Thank you for reading this comment 0.0"
You can find "Skins" folder in your osu! installation folder. Then just open template skin folder and edit any elements you can find there. :3
Dragon From Dark
wow!!! thx
Dragon From Dark
by the way, can i just make skin by my self and name it as in the game like comboburst0, comboburst1, and so on???
Neclory
yes.
show more